is it worth it to buy the nintendo switch now ?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
imderfnz

is it worth it to buy the nintendo switch now ?

Postby imderfnz » May 11th, 2018, 12:51 am

So does anyone think i should buy the switch now i don't play much of my PS4 because most of the games are anime games and i haven't played a PS4 game since God of War ? and im playing retro games like the super nintendo and other old school console's on my nintendo wii SD card i got on ebay for 20,000 old school cartridge games on there for 48 bucks. so i really like nintendo stuff now and now i wanted to play the donkey kong country tropical freeze game since its on the switch now. and i cant wait to play all the spyro the dragon games for the ps1 on the nintendo switch now . and is there any problems with the switch that ive heard from gamestop i think ? so get it now or later ?

Herschie

Re: is it worth it to buy the nintendo switch now ?

Postby Herschie » May 11th, 2018, 3:46 pm

Worth every penny. It's a great system, and you're not tethered to a TV.

zetax

Postby zetax » May 11th, 2018, 9:40 pm

Guess I'll play devil's advocate on this one. IF you have a Wii U (and I do), the Switch has little compelling offerings. I've got Mario Cart 8, Zelda, Fast Racing Neo, Shantae, Steamworld, Splatoon (1), Donkey Kong Country, Axiom Verge, and numerous other Wii U short-term exclusives. Only the new Mario is tempting, but not worth 300 bucks for a new console. Indie games...guess I'm not intrigued by a ton of them... Portability...I've got a 3DS. Not really comfortable toting a tablet-sized $300 pseudo-conso!e around.

Nintendo, make a screenless $200 version for home-only, maybe I'll be interested.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » May 11th, 2018, 11:07 pm

Agreed on the above. The Wii U still has far more compelling games and the switch is awkwardly large for portable use. I prefer the Vita.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » May 12th, 2018, 4:04 am

I do not see the Switch dropping in price any time soon, now is as good a time as any to get the Switch.
There are several good games to keep you occupied until the next big thing comes out for the PS4.

GTS

Postby GTS » May 12th, 2018, 8:15 am

Wait till at least after E3. There may be a new model coming out this year.

JWK

Postby JWK » May 14th, 2018, 1:58 pm

What GTS suggested is what I’m doing. There might be a system revision and I want to see how the Hori d-pad joycon looks. At $25, I’m not sure it will feel like an actual Nintendo d-pad and there are lots of retro games on the Switch that need one.

There are enough games released for me to justify the purchase, but I’m still waiting to see what gets announced.

rockofhysteria

Postby rockofhysteria » May 15th, 2018, 2:37 am

I would say it depends on what types of games you like. But for me overall it's definately worth every penny the game selection is nice and still growing and it's a fun system in general and the portability aspect delivers on pretty much every promise that was made.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » May 15th, 2018, 5:52 am

I like the Nintendo Switch but after Zelda and Mario I am struggling to find anything to play on it. If you like couch co-op Mario Kart Deluxe is fun but it is a bore when it comes to single player. Outside of those titles it will depend on how much you have played older "indie" titles or if you own another system. "Indie" titles reign supreme on the Switch and it seems like it is Nintendo's strategy to fill the system with as many mediocre to flat out terrible indie games each week as possible. Also, if you skipped the WiiU that might help as they are rereleasing just about everything they put on that system (for better or worse). So is the Switch worth buying? I would say yes but man am I disappointed with the lack of quality game titles after Zelda and Mario. I wish the Big "N" was putting more time into putting out new games then working on LABO.

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » May 17th, 2018, 11:28 am

In my opinion? Absolutely! Then again, I am somebody who loves handheld AND console gaming equally, and Switch handles both extraordinarily well.

It mainly depends on what you're looking for. It's a very capable machine that can adequately handle SOME of this generation's software (Doom and South Park were excellent, and the port of Wolfenstein looks really good), is getting a huge selection of good-to-great indie titles (Celeste is soooo good, as is Golf Story, Thimbleweed Park, etc.), a robust selection of retro titles (the ACA/Johnny Turbo lines, Mega Man Legacy 1+2, Street Fighter Anniversary, Atari Flashback Collections, the Sega Ages line), a steady diet of first party franchises, and ever-increasing support. It's honestly reaching that awesome point where it is getting more games than I can keep up with, but that also has to do with the fact that I am as enamored with indie titles/retro releases as I am AAA titles.

Return to “Modern Gaming”