Capcom releasing Resident Evil 7 on Switch, In the Dumbest Way Imaginable

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
BanjoPickles

Capcom releasing Resident Evil 7 on Switch, In the Dumbest Way Imaginable

Postby BanjoPickles » May 21st, 2018, 12:40 am

When I saw the headline, I was excited! I hadn’t experienced the game, so I thought that now would be the time to finally do it!

....but, no.

Apparently, it’s only a digital release, streaming directly to the Cloud. Also, you never actually OWN the game! You have to pay $20 for a three month pass! Oh, and even though you can play it docked/undocked, you can’t play it unless you’re in a place that has a steady internet connection.

So yeah, I’m taking a hard pass on this one. I could handle the internet connection thing, and even being forced to stream it, but $20 for only three months? No thanks!

Sut

Re: Capcom releasing Resident Evil 7 on Switch, In the Dumbest Way Imaginable

Postby Sut » May 21st, 2018, 3:28 pm

But the Switch is a return to the good old days of using cartridges not like those nasty Ps4’s and Xbones.

Oh wait....

eneuman96

Postby eneuman96 » May 21st, 2018, 5:49 pm

Yeah, this is quite possibly the worst way to release it on Switch imaginable. A graphically downgraded port that you actually own would be far preferable to whatever Frankenstein's monster of modern penny-pinching game industry practices this is.

Capcom in general is quite fond of using anti-consumer practices when they port games to the Switch, what with Resident Evil Revelations and the Mega Man/X Legacy Collections only having one the two games advertised on the cartridge and including the other via a download code because they don't want to shell out a few extra bucks for bigger cartridges (although Platinum did this as well with Bayonetta 1 and 2).

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 21st, 2018, 10:03 pm

The video game industry would love this model. The customer doesn't get a game for his money; only a "ticket" to play it for a short period of time. Personally I think garbage like this drives people to embrace the physical media!

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » May 21st, 2018, 10:38 pm

One thing is for sure: it killed the sales potential. I would have gladly purchased a downgraded port, especially if it had turned out as well as Doom did, but I’m not interested in renting a game that demands a constant steady connection (do these companies not realize that connections do drop, from time to time?).

What’s really frustrating is how companies seem to go out of their way to screw over Nintendo, as well as their fans. Even though Doom required sacrifices, it was still a port that demanded care. I’m getting a similar vibe from Wolfenstein. I don’t get the vibe that the developers are seeking a quick buck. It’s sad that Capcom, once one of Nintendo’s most dependable supporters, has taken this road.

bluenote

Postby bluenote » May 22nd, 2018, 10:42 am

I don't see why this is such a horrible idea. I know many people who don't keep their old games, they basically play them to completion and trade them in. To them, they will never replay that game again, so why keep it?

Is this any different than renting/streaming a movie? Imagine you always had to buy a movie outright, rather than renting it? I get that movies are only 2 hours vs 10 or 20 hours for a video game, but still, it's the same concept. I can pay $6 for a "ticket" to watch a movie, and not own it, or I can go to Best Buy and buy it for $20. For me, I'll always stream/rent unless it's a movie I know I'll rewatch, in which case I'll buy it.

So, instead of buying this game at launch for $70, you can pay $20 for 3 months (which should be more than enough to beat it). I can see a lot of gamers that would like this option.

This may not appeal to us collectors, but there is definately a market for this. Remember, not everything has to be catered to us collectors, there are a lot of different kind of gamers out there. I'm just trying to provide a different perspective.

I think perhaps the biggest mistake was not giving the option of a physical release. Who knows, that may come later.

GameOfThrones

Postby GameOfThrones » May 22nd, 2018, 5:46 pm

A daft idea.
Though when you think how it is not actually that good a game it makes the practice even more insane.

I have the game on Xbox and it really is not that good.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 23rd, 2018, 6:53 pm

bluenote wrote:I don't see why this is such a horrible idea. I know many people who don't keep their old games, they basically play them to completion and trade them in. To them, they will never replay that game again, so why keep it?

This was my mindset until the late 90's. Then all those games I swore I'd never wanted to play again - guess what - I wanted to play them again. I gradually bought them all back, which was not cheap but far more reasonable than it would be today.

I know I'm an exception to the rule, but this is something to consider. You might want to play that game again in 5 or 10 years.

Crummylion

Postby Crummylion » May 24th, 2018, 1:35 am

I actually gave the trial version of RE7 cloud a try, good thing for region free eShop accounts lol. I could barely get the thing to work because of my location. Wonder how people in Japan are playing this.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » May 25th, 2018, 5:59 pm

Another reason to never upgrade to the 8th Gen. I'm sick of reading stuff like this! GREED! I am selling off a lot of my systems except for 4. Because I NEVER play any of the others. I have kept my 2600, O2, PS2 and 360. That's it, although my Retron 3 can it can play NES and SNES as well. Modern gaming sucks! Is there that much difference between a 360 and One? No in my opinion. Oh the blades of grass look a lil sharper. Does anyone actually give a crap about that?

Return to “Modern Gaming”