Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (8-bit Castlevania III-style game)

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
velcrozombie

Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (8-bit Castlevania III-style game)

Postby velcrozombie » May 25th, 2018, 11:07 am

I knew about Koji Igarashi's wildly successful Kickstarter for Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - an opportunity for him to make a new game in the style of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. What I didn't know was that one of the stretch goals was for an 8-bit game in the style of Castlevania III (which is, like Symphony, one of a handful of my favorite games ever). It looks a lot like Castlevania III, but with some new wrinkles - namely that you have access to all four playable characters from the beginning and can switch between them on the fly. There are also some enormous bosses that the NES may have struggled to render back in the day. The game is available now as a digital download for the PS4, Playstation Vita, XBox One and PC for only $9.99, with ports to the Switch and 3DS to follow. Below is a trailer - there's another with an introduction from Igrashi, but I'd rather focus on the gameplay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTRohTxCRlk

DrLitch

Re: Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (8-bit Castlevania III-style game)

Postby DrLitch » May 31st, 2018, 8:14 pm

Got it on Steam and it is available on Switch as well. $10. Well worth the price. Complete ripoff of Castlevania 3 but a lot easier. Probably a better game overall as well. Nostalgia overdrive for me, great music and graphics, an easy B+. Really looking forward to Ritual of the Night.

Return to “Modern Gaming”