what does everybody think of super mario 64 for the DS ?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
imderfnz

what does everybody think of super mario 64 for the DS ?

Postby imderfnz » May 25th, 2018, 7:13 pm

how are the controls on the game is it playable on the DS because i don't know if i should get it for the DS or the nintendo 64 version ? i really dont want to buy the nintendo 64 because it never had alot of good games on it compared to the super nintendo or the DS and it costs way more then the DS what should i do ?

imderfnz

Re: what does everybody think of super mario 64 for the DS ?

Postby imderfnz » May 25th, 2018, 8:50 pm

hey videogamecritic how come you never reviewed the DS version of super mario 64 ?

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » May 25th, 2018, 10:41 pm

The DS controls are definitely worse. The game was designed around the N64's stick, and it's really obvious when you try to play it with the DS's pad.

The N64 is worth owning. Its library isn't a patch on the SNES's, but unless you sink hundreds and hundreds of dollars into it, you aren't going to run out of cool, exclusive games to play. PM me if you want a list of my favorites.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » May 26th, 2018, 5:35 am

The Nintendo 64 version is superior.

I suppose it's too late to recommend a Wii Virtual Console purchase, so I suggest downloading the N64 version on the Wii U Virtual Console instead if you own this system. The image is so much nicer looking in Nintendo's emulator than it is on original hardware.

That said, while the lack of an analog stick detracts from the DS port, it's surprisingly playable and has never given me issues. I even quickly got used to manipulating the camera with the touch screen, and I hate touch screens. I've replayed it to 100% several times now since buying a DS and this game when the system was new. That said, it's disappointing in several ways.

-Missing graphical effects (Like the mist just above the water on Jolly Roger Bay).
    -The additional playable characters end up just annoying busywork as you change between them, rather than as entertaining additions that actually significantly change the experience up.
    -The 30 additional stars are all minor and uninspired.
    -Extremely basic multiplayer mode without much to it.
    -Added areas are for the most part very minor. No new worlds to fill the many unused paintings around the castle.

Where additions are concerned, the only substantial enhancements in Super Mario 64 proper are the three added areas where you unlock the other characters. Those are well hidden in the castle and are actually fairly sizable and had some real effort invested into them by the Super Mario 64 DS team.

The unlockable minigames are nice enough, but New Super Mario Bros DS. included them all and expanded upon it. So I suggest checking them out there if you want a fun diversion on occasion.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » May 29th, 2018, 2:35 am

Didn't they have some really cool minigames? I think they also put them into the New Super Mario Bros.

Return to “Modern Gaming”