Maybe it’s time to move on from E3?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
BanjoPickles

Maybe it’s time to move on from E3?

Postby BanjoPickles » June 11th, 2018, 11:10 pm

I’m starting to think that Nintendo had the right idea when they adopted the Direct, in lieu of a big presentation. When is the last time that there has been an all-around exciting E3? With the exceptions being the Last of Us 2 trailer, the Spider-Man demonstration, and a few other announcements, this E3 sent out a very depressing sign of the times:

1). The future may very well belong to the Cloud.

2). The games themselves are looking less and less interesting.

3). More time is spent on elaborate productions than the games themselves.

I’m really hoping that Nintendo hits a homer in tomorrow, but I’m not holding my breath.

LoganRuckman

Re: Maybe it’s time to move on from E3?

Postby LoganRuckman » June 12th, 2018, 6:50 am

It was a long time ago, but E3 2010 was goddamn fantastic all around.

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » June 12th, 2018, 7:17 am

I set aside time last night to drink whiskey and catch up on the press conferences, despite not at all being excited about E3. I got through about 5 minutes of the EA one before getting sick to my stomach over the cringe. Then I tried to get into the Microsoft one (and I usually like most of their stuff since Phil Spencer took over), and I could not work up any care, whatsoever after 20 minutes. I turned it all off and watched some lawn care videos (Ryan Knorr Lawn Care is the best of these by the way). I literally turned it off to watch grass grow. To be fair, I watch a lot of grass growing videos, so it's not as bad as it sounds. :)

I do not care about anything going on in gaming right now, at all. The buzz words grate on my ears, the announcements actively make me unexcited, and the talking heads get more annoying with every year. I'm out. I may even pass on the Direct.

GameOfThrones

Postby GameOfThrones » June 12th, 2018, 7:41 pm

Ms conference was great with so many good looking games out there.
Nintendo had the worst conference. No games worth having. Hey maybe they can re released Donkey Kong for the 30th time.
Sony snore.
Ubisoft snore
I did not bother with EA.
Bethesda was really great with tons of new stuff that was interesting.
ubisoft double snore
going to watch Square Enix online in a min. I am hoping for a puzzle bobble bubble bobble dual announcement. As they bought Taito.

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » June 12th, 2018, 9:45 pm

New Battletoads. Holy moly ravioli, what a great announcement. Wish there was some gameplay shown. 5mash, Xeno 2 DLC, Fire Emblem, Super Mario Party, Daemon Machina, and Nindies looked great. I know that makes it seem like I was floored, but Ninty's Direct honestly underwhelmed me a little bit. Would have liked to see Yoshi or MP4 or maybe the 2019 Pokemon game (Let's Go looks like filler garbage charging $60 for a free mobile game). Retro was also absent yet again. And one or two more surprise heavy hitters would have really knocked it out of the park. Maybe the Treehouse showing and E3 remainder trickles (a la Metroid: Samus Returns from last year) will bump this show up a grade.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 13th, 2018, 8:03 am

One title I was surprised to hear about was a new Ridge Racer - for the Switch I think.
I hope it's not ruined by all the DLC and online stuff.
I just want an old-fashioned arcade racer that's 1) complete and 2) fun.

Voor

Postby Voor » June 13th, 2018, 8:13 am

I never watch these things, but I did watch some that were being co-streamed by my favorite streamer. He had a bingo card for each one that included all the cliches and expected cringe moments. And of course, E3 delivered plenty of that. I really can’t believe how cheesy these things are. Anyway, in this format, E3 was watchable for me.

https://youtu.be/J9rCSqqmvx8

Personally, I HATE when they show off epic trailers. I feel like it tells me nothing about the game. Just explain the premise and show me a few minutes of gameplay without an epic music score in the background.

But....I’m older and I’d rather replay some of my old favorites than sink my time into 95% of these new games.

Return to “Modern Gaming”