Okay, ps3 time for me

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Paul Campbell

Okay, ps3 time for me

Postby Paul Campbell » November 12th, 2008, 10:58 pm

[QUOTE=andrew][QUOTE=Viper82]Who wants to bet that in 2009, Sony will sell a PS2 emulator (and PS2 games) via the PlayStation Store? It's hard to get that extra $$$ when it's already built in.

I'm happy my model has it, but I do find it kind of strange how so many potential PS3 owners consider BC such an important feature. If you are that interested in PS2 games, wouldn't it make sense to save your money and stick with your PS2?

[/QUOTE]
It would make more sense to just stop complaining, buy a PS3 and a PS2 slim for full backwards compatibility.
[/QUOTE]

And that makes more sense because:

A)  It would cost you plenty more money than having it built into your console, (especially if you are like me and have never owned a Playstation and would also have to buy controllers, etc.)

B)  You have the advantage of having to keep yet another console and its cords around instead of it all being consolidated into one machine that you already have hooked up

C)   If we complain loud enough, maybe we will eventually get that BC in the form of a download, instead of paying $100+ for it.  It could happen...

riftt

Okay, ps3 time for me

Postby riftt » November 14th, 2008, 8:37 pm

this is silly.  the ps3 backwards compatibility was never great.  never even near great.  Even if you have a 60gb version, I would still use the slim ps2 (esp for fighting games) to play ps2 games.  When you upgraded to a super nintendo you didnt care about backwards compatibility.  when you upgraded to a genesis you didnt care.  I don't recall your "perfect" system the sega dreamcast being backwards compatible to the sega saturn out of the box.  so to now say that bc is a dealbreaker is ridiculous. 

m0zart1

Okay, ps3 time for me

Postby m0zart1 » November 14th, 2008, 8:47 pm

[QUOTE=riftt]this is silly.  the ps3 backwards compatibility was never great.  never even near great.  Even if you have a 60gb version, I would still use the slim ps2 (esp for fighting games) to play ps2 games.[/QUOTE]

I definitely prefer playing both PS1 and PS2 games on my 60GB PS3.  I think the BC on that model is fantastic.

andrew

Okay, ps3 time for me

Postby andrew » November 14th, 2008, 10:23 pm

[QUOTE=Paul Campbell][QUOTE=andrew][QUOTE=Viper82]Who wants to bet that in 2009, Sony will sell a PS2 emulator (and PS2 games) via the PlayStation Store? It's hard to get that extra $$$ when it's already built in.

I'm happy my model has it, but I do find it kind of strange how so many potential PS3 owners consider BC such an important feature. If you are that interested in PS2 games, wouldn't it make sense to save your money and stick with your PS2?

[/QUOTE]
It would make more sense to just stop complaining, buy a PS3 and a PS2 slim for full backwards compatibility.
[/QUOTE]

And that makes more sense because:

A)  It would cost you plenty more money than having it built into your console, (especially if you are like me and have never owned a Playstation and would also have to buy controllers, etc.)

B)  You have the advantage of having to keep yet another console and its cords around instead of it all being consolidated into one machine that you already have hooked up

C)   If we complain loud enough, maybe we will eventually get that BC in the form of a download, instead of paying $100+ for it.  It could happen...
[/QUOTE]

A) I don't think so. One $400 PS3 + $99.99 PS2 slim < used 60gb PS3. Each system comes with a controller while dual shock 2's cost 20 bucks new these days. 3 dual shock 2's controllers for the price of one dual shock 3. Guaranteed compatibility and longer optical drive life.

B) A PS2 slim barely takes up any space.
C) Sony doesn't have the word free in their dictionary.

Give me a break.

Return to “Modern Gaming”