360 vs. PS3?! Lol...

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Steel

360 vs. PS3?! Lol...

Postby Steel » November 15th, 2008, 10:06 pm

I never understood the big deal with the PS3... Its like the "Alienware" of consoles... Big, heavy, kind of ugly, and doesn't perform well for what its worth...

I've seen a PS3 and an Xbox 360 side by side, running at the same time, on Sony Bravias, and,frankly, I pity the people who shelled out the money for the PS3... There is nothing good about it, except the blu-ray player, but I'll wait a while for the library to get bigger for it.

The '360 is great, nothing wrong with it, nothing at all...

I'll give these consoles another good solid 4-5 years (and the Wii, unless they really come up with something out-of-the-box, but I don't see it coming), before they are pretty much dead... So I consider that I've saved a pretty penny when I bought the '360 .

So, to give a bit of good advice, don't waste money on a PS3... Get a '360... Please... For the love of God... With a cherry on top...

steer

360 vs. PS3?! Lol...

Postby steer » November 15th, 2008, 11:46 pm

I don't own either and doubt I ever would but I would buy a PS3 WAY before a 360.

more reliable (I mean it cant be less)

Bluray - not that I even buy DVD's! But HDDVD is dead, period. That used to be a selling point right? I hear a lot about HD movies even though statisticly only 3 or 4% of 360 owners shelled for the HD movie player when it was 'alive'. So it is not that big a deal I guess for either console, statisticly.

Could get a B/C PS3.

ALso out of all the exclusive PS3 and 360 games Gran turismo is the one franchise I would get.

Just my two cents.

Viper821

360 vs. PS3?! Lol...

Postby Viper821 » November 16th, 2008, 1:34 pm

Say what you want about the PS3, but I've put more time into it than any other system I've owned. Sure, there aren't a lot of exclusives but it was still worth every penny. I think it's by far a nicer looking system and even with my personal troubles with the Blu-Ray diode giving out, it's a much higher quality console.

My PS3's been out for service for 4 days now and I'm going crazy waiting for it to return. I used to bash the PS3 but that changed as soon as I bit the bullet and bought one.

The 360's not a bad system by any stretch, but I have no regrets about going with Sony this generation.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

360 vs. PS3?! Lol...

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 16th, 2008, 1:49 pm

[QUOTE=Viper82]Say what you want about the PS3, but I've put more time into it than any other system I've owned.
[/QUOTE]

Is this due to the slow load times, long installations, or frequent system updates?

Marriott_Guy1

360 vs. PS3?! Lol...

Postby Marriott_Guy1 » November 16th, 2008, 3:16 pm

For me, I prefer the 360.  Many more exclusive (and awesome) titles have been released for the 360.  In addition, I have found that game developers have been able to produce better graphics/performance on the 360 versus the PS3 for games that have been released on both platforms (not all, but in general they have).  I would rank the PS3 a bit closer had they not eliminated PS2 compatability in almost all of their SKUs.

Though I am well aware of the failure rate of the 360, the PS3 has unfortunately experienced the same.  IMHO, Microsoft has responded better than Sony in this area by far.  I don't have a Wii as of yet (yes - I have to remedy this), so I can not comment on that console.

Just my two cents.

Terry

m0zart1

360 vs. PS3?! Lol...

Postby m0zart1 » November 16th, 2008, 5:29 pm

[QUOTE=Marriott_Guy]Though I am well aware of the failure rate of the 360, the PS3 has unfortunately experienced the same.  IMHO, Microsoft has responded better than Sony in this area by far.  I don't have a Wii as of yet (yes - I have to remedy this), so I can not comment on that console.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm... by your comparison, it sounds as if you are saying the PS3 has the same failure rate as the 360.  I don't think that is even remotely the case, either in the reports of console failure or the anecdotal evidence out there.

I am sure the PS3 has failures, but I have yet to see any hard data showing that they fail at the same rate as the 360 debacle.  Microsoft has responded nicely to this, yes, but it took a while for them to even admit there was a problem.  It came to a head basically and they were forced to admit it.  Sony hasn't had nearly the same outcry for failures to force them to make some kind of 3-year warranty extension, and even if they did, their failures aren't related to one specific thing, which is what the 360  has experienced (and is why the 3-year warranty extension is only for RROD issues).

I am not trying to argue which is the better console here -- I think the 360 is a great console, especially where its games are concerned, and I am using my PS3 more often as a bluray player and an HD PS1 and PS2 than I am to play PS3 games, but I don't think it's fair to make it sound like the PS3 has experienced the same level of failures as the 360, which has a rather high failure rate compared to almost any other console (maybe even in comparison to the NES toaster, though I don't know that for sure).

Zenzerotron

360 vs. PS3?! Lol...

Postby Zenzerotron » November 16th, 2008, 6:06 pm

OVERALL, the Xbox360 has the best game-library of this console generation. Saying PS3 is a complete waste of money is alittle extreme, but I will say the Xbox360 gets my personal vote as THE system to own.

The red ring of death is a bad thing, I went through it. But look at what PS3 owners constantly go through...all the things the VGC just listed. Those are ongoing problems. Your 360 gets a red ring, you send it in, it's a one-time ordeal.

m0zart1

360 vs. PS3?! Lol...

Postby m0zart1 » November 16th, 2008, 6:11 pm

[QUOTE=Zenzerotron]OVERALL, the Xbox360 has the best game-library of this console generation. Saying PS3 is a complete waste of money is alittle extreme, but I will say the Xbox360 gets my personal vote as THE system to own.

The red ring of death is a bad thing, I went through it. But look at what PS3 owners constantly go through...all the things the VGC just listed. Those are ongoing problems. Your 360 gets a red ring, you send it in, it's a one-time ordeal. [/QUOTE]

There are things I don't care for on the PS3, and the installation of disc-based games is absolutely one of them.  I think it shows a flaw in the early use of Bluray technology before the drives were able to be improved for speed in reading data discs.  But I don't think the failure rate of the PS3 is anywhere near what it is on the 360, and I don't think that for many the RROD experience has been a one-time ordeal -- I know many for whom it has been 2 or 3 times, and not all of them received their systems back in a week as I did.  For some, it took closer to a month.  It is still a severe issue, though not as severe as it could be without the warranty extension.

Logan Ruckman

360 vs. PS3?! Lol...

Postby Logan Ruckman » November 16th, 2008, 7:28 pm

360 sucks! Buy a PS3 or Wii! Or, better yet, don't buy any next gen console and keep playing the SNES, N64, GBA/DS, Genesis, NES, Dreamcast, etc...!

Viper821

360 vs. PS3?! Lol...

Postby Viper821 » November 16th, 2008, 9:23 pm

[quote]Is this due to the slow load times, long installations, or frequent system updates?[/quote]

A little from all three of course!

Seriously though I don't find the load times slow at all. It's about on par with any other system I've played and the ridiculously long installations only apply to a few games (like Bioshock). Granted, the system updates are getting a bit out of hand though, with updates coming every two weeks at times. What's worse is that you can't do them in the background either.

Return to “Modern Gaming”