New XBOX 360 Live Experience...

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Roperious1

Postby Roperious1 » November 20th, 2008, 5:12 pm

I'm glad the 360 allows for the installation of games onto the HDD. With this precedent I hope to see game developers take advantage of the fact that both the PS3 and the 360 have chosen this as a viable option for the future of gaming.

superjay

Postby superjay » November 20th, 2008, 10:36 pm

I have to say that this new experience has made me feel like I just bought a new console. I love the way the friends list has avatars now. Downloading games if you want. This new experience makes me love my favorite console even more.

ZetaX1

Postby ZetaX1 » November 20th, 2008, 11:23 pm

Does anyone know if you can download this front-end update on a PC, burn it to disk, and install it on the XBox that way?  I've updated the backward-compatibility stuff this way several times over the years.  Alternately, do you think this will be included on new/future games (the way firmware updates get bundled in with PS3 games)? 

I don't do the whole 'on-line gaming' thing (I don't have broadband, what can I say?  I'm Amish...), so I'm sort of hoping there's an alternate way to get this stuff.

- Mark

Steve1

Postby Steve1 » November 21st, 2008, 10:09 am

Hopefully someone will respond to this since my comments seem to kill threads and put an end to them.....

I downloaded the new update last night and had no problems (despite what Gamespot reports). I'm really impressed so far. It will take some getting used to but I really like the feel and look of it. My question is what people think of the avatars. I've read nothing but complaints on how stupid they are, etc.

I really like them. I had a lot of fun making mine and it even made me laugh a few times. Plus, I have some friends online that now at least I have an idea of what they look like which is nice.

Aaron

Postby Aaron » November 21st, 2008, 11:49 am

The avatars really don't mean that much to me either way.  It looks like a lot of work went into their design and I probably will enjoy them more when I start playing some games that use the avatars.  Personally I have always looked at avatars as pretty silly and they certainly don't mean that the user behind the avatar looks that way in person.  I am very interested in the online game shows that use the avatars, this could end up very fun.  The 1 vs. 100 looks really good.

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » November 21st, 2008, 12:51 pm

I am not all that impressed with the avatars.  I can't make one that would be a comical animated version of myself.  None of those on my friends list look like them either.  I think they are just too detailed in appearance but without corresponding options to make necessary customizations.  They are sharper than the Miis, but I think the attraction of the Miis is in the simplicity of them -- it's rather easy to make a comical caricature of yourself using the Mii studio.

Still, they are better than nothing, and I think Microsoft had to do something since PS3 Home is so close to being made public.

steer

Postby steer » November 21st, 2008, 4:28 pm

Doesn't HOME go the '2nd life' route? I think those are ick, if that is what I am thinking of....

Aaron

Postby Aaron » November 21st, 2008, 4:33 pm

Out of curiosity, I did a little research on PS3 Home.  It also looks like it could be great.  Having systems that help integrate various forms of entertainment definitely looks promising.  It also helps justify the price of these systems.  As I noted earlier, this new interface is actually making me consider having two 360's, something I doubt I would have ever considered before. 
     I will certainly set aside some time this weekend to explore the new interface more and share my impressions.

Aaron

Postby Aaron » November 21st, 2008, 10:19 pm

Ok I have played around with the NetFlix option.  It's a good start and maybe I need to learn more about how it works.  It appaers it is a smalle group of movies that are available for streaming. You also have to set up your list of available choices on your pc.  I think it may evolve into something better but right now it's nice but not exactly what I was thinking it would be.

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » November 21st, 2008, 10:24 pm

[QUOTE=ActRaiser]I played around with the Netflix option and found it incredibly easy to use.  The only downer is that Netflix's list of movies and tv shows to stream is pretty small so it's not going to replace your existing disk based queue.[/QUOTE]

The library on XBOX Live is more limited than the Netflix online library.  Apparently the reason for the limitation is that many of the movies are licensed by Sony, and there is some wrangling going on about making these available through the competitor's console.

You can read about it here.

Return to “Modern Gaming”