Question about GC controllers for Virtual Console on Wii

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
steer

Postby steer » November 26th, 2008, 9:06 pm

OK, so I have that 3rd party wireless GC controller, and am playing MArio 64 on the VC with it.

Here is the issue - can't move the analog stick SLOWLY - for examle in the cannon, no matter how little you push it, it has a dead space for a while and than - BAM - it moves the cannon over 15 degrees or so -ridiculous! No fine tuning, put it that way.

You can about imagine how much fun that is on the narrow platforms, esepcially combined with Mario 64's archaic camera. I got over the camera issues a long time ago, but what is the deal?

Are all GC controllers this way on the VC, or is it just this 3rd party thing? ( If it is I wll knock my 'review grade' down a notch or two. It works great when you are going full bore, but like total crap if you have to tread carefully.)

My only other GC controller I have that is not out on loan (along with my CC controller) is a really wore out GC controller, which is no help to diagnose this, cause as soon as you hit 'r' - button mario starts crawling before you can back flip, it is way out of whack, used to death. So basicaly I need feedback to know if it is GC controllers in general, or this one in particular.

Thanks. ( I have 75 stars and had a cake baked for me, but know way I get 120 with this controller, I will jump off of a building first!)

snakeboy1

Postby snakeboy1 » November 27th, 2008, 2:36 am

I think it's probably your controller. I've played Mario 64 on the virtual console with the wavebird, and I don't remember there being a problem.

kev

Postby kev » November 29th, 2008, 12:18 pm

I used the wavebird for a couple weeks without any trouble. Then the up direction on the analog stick stopped working. After a few minutes of playing wind waker by running towards the camera I gave up. I ended up ordering a couple extension cables off amazon and those are working fine.

ajsmart1

Postby ajsmart1 » November 29th, 2008, 1:08 pm

I have not had any problems using either the wavebird or a wired Cube controller on the Wii,  but I wish I could navigate the Wii menu with them!

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » November 29th, 2008, 3:56 pm

Me too, I don't understand why Nintendo allows the classic controller to navigate the Wii menus, but not the GameCube controller.

You should buy a used 1st party GC controller and transplant the stick to your Wavebird, they're getting pricey these days and the buttons and joysticks are identical and easily transferrable between both models.

First though, try fresh batterys. My Wavebird was acting up, and it turned out to be batterys that were low on power that was causing it.

Return to “Modern Gaming”