System of the year

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
voor

System of the year

Postby voor » December 7th, 2008, 7:48 pm

I cannot remember if I iniatied a 'game of the year' thread recently, so to not embarrass myself and repeat that, I was curious as to which system for you was the system of the year.

I'm emphasizing the YOU, because I don't want this to turn into a debate about 'sucess', sales numbers, and all that quantitative nonsense.

Good luck!

Guy

System of the year

Postby Guy » December 7th, 2008, 8:46 pm

I think the system of the year is the Nintendo Wii.

ActRaiser1

System of the year

Postby ActRaiser1 » December 7th, 2008, 10:40 pm

System of the year hands done was NBC.  I got way more enjoyment out of Chuck, Heroes, My Own Worst Enemy, and Saturday Night Live than anything put out on the consoles this year. 

I've played the hell out of the 360 and Wii but on a fun basis, I look forward to Monday nights like no other.  So...my vote strictly for pure entertainment on a cost per hour and fun basis, 100% goes to NBC. 

...the 360 for me comes in a close second due to Army of Two, Gears of War 2, and Halo 3.  And for steer who likes to belittle everyone else, I played the hell out of the Wii this year...and it still pales compared to the experiences on the 360...or NBC 

wur1

System of the year

Postby wur1 » December 7th, 2008, 11:55 pm

The DS. The Final Fantasy 4 remake and Ninja Gaiden DS.

feilong801

System of the year

Postby feilong801 » December 8th, 2008, 12:26 am

For me, the system of the year is the PS3. I am in the "they are all doing well" crowd, so don't take this as a slam on the other systems. But the PS3, after being embarassing for Sony for so long, has really come onto its own with great exclusive software like Drake's Fortune, Ratchet and Clank, Metal Gear Solid IV, Little Big Planet and Resistance II. A sensational year for exclusive releases for Sony! 

-Rob

steer

System of the year

Postby steer » December 8th, 2008, 3:13 pm

NBC system of the year?!!?!??  -       

Wii has most origional software, so I give them the award, hee hee....

Quill

System of the year

Postby Quill » December 9th, 2008, 8:32 am

PS2 system of the year!

Why?
 Cheap games and I played the thing more than any other system. Oh glorious bargain titles and your gloriousness.

ajsmart1

System of the year

Postby ajsmart1 » December 9th, 2008, 9:46 am

[QUOTE=Quill]PS2 system of the year!

Why?
 Cheap games and I played the thing more than any other system. Oh glorious bargain titles and your gloriousness.

[/QUOTE]

PS2 gets my vote for system of the decade. I bought it in Spring of 2001 and I'm still buying more games for it than any of my other consoles.  It's the little engine that could.

Funkmaster V

System of the year

Postby Funkmaster V » December 9th, 2008, 9:56 am

To be fair, let's give it to the PS3. The 360 won 2006, The Wii won 2007, so I'll give to PS3 this year b/c they improved the most.

FUNK

Julio III

System of the year

Postby Julio III » December 9th, 2008, 12:37 pm

To answer the question, for me, the Xbox 360 is the system of the year.

I purchased it halfway through the year and since getting it have hardly touched any of my other consoles. Not only that it is the first thing I have that is in HD that I can use on my HDTV. I even purchased a bargain basement HD-DVD add-on and picked up a handful of really cheap HD-DVDs which I was really impressed by the visual quality. Since then, I always take 10 minutes or so to get used to the relatively low quality of standard DVDs.

Game wise I started it all off with Project Gotham Racing 4, which is the reason I bought the console and me and my flatmate spend many many many hours playing this game. Also we both put in huge amount of hours single-player. Apart from that GTA 4 stole away well over 50 hours playtime before I stopped playing it and I think I was only at about 50% complete, it was about 1 hour per percent. And then since moving house and having the internet available I've been able to participate in the joy of Xbox Live Arcade, having bought a handful of those games. I got addicted once again to Geometry Wars and the last arcade game I bought (Bejeweled 2) I spent 6 hours playing straight as soon as I bought it.

Return to “Modern Gaming”