PS3 is a sinking ship: Sales plummet

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 14th, 2008, 11:16 am

According to this brand new CNN Money article, Sony's PS3 isn't doing too hot.

I've been fairly critical of the PS3 from the outset (for obvious reasons), but I certainly didn't want it to flop.  The more competition in the video game market, the better.

How do you guys feel about this?

Koopa W.

Postby Koopa W. » December 14th, 2008, 12:01 pm

The PS3 isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Edward1

Postby Edward1 » December 14th, 2008, 12:06 pm

Well the problem is, it costs hundreds more for a PS3 than a 360.    And the 360 had another good year with Gears of War 2, Fable II, Banjo Kazooie, and Viva Pinata.   Also I hear it typically gets the best versions of multiplatforms like GTA 4, Devil May Cry 4, (better becuse it doesnt require a 4GB installation) and Fallout 3. I buy all mutliplatform games on the 360 because of the gamerscore alone.   The cheap knockoff trophy system, just doesn't cut it, because it doesn't keep a score, and most games don't even use it.  The PS3 needs some serious work, and I almost feel sorry for buying one, even though I got it on a great sale.

Luke

Postby Luke » December 14th, 2008, 12:30 pm

Although it may be pure speculation, I read a small article in a video game mag yesterday that said Sony were already going over the details of the PS4, and that they were hoping to have it out by 2011, if not sooner.

steer

Postby steer » December 14th, 2008, 12:50 pm

PS3 seems to be in a tight spot, especially given the economy.

You know what the biggest problmem in the game industry is? There are simply not enough AAA projects to go around to all these platforms. I think more devs should make games exclusive, they often complain that they want a single platform to develope for, well then, do your part.

This causes 2 problems, you see a lot of generic multiplatforming, many big budget devs make the same game for 7 systems, wether they fit or not, fewer system exclusives

and if you find yourself at the bottom of the heap, you have little to no chance of digging yourself out.

I have heard some ppl complaining about lack of good titles for PSP, especially considering the season, its the same problem - it has not sold bad by anymeans, but the DS has all the momentum.

txsizzler1

Postby txsizzler1 » December 14th, 2008, 1:18 pm

I personally think the PS3 will stick around for awhile. I think Sony made a large error taking out the PS1/PS2 compatibility, as it was one of the selling points of the original PS3's. Even with a lower price point, lacking that feature has been a critical problem for Sony. At least Xbox reguarly updates the 360 firmware for the original Xbox compatibility.

Blu-Ray just isn't taking off like Sony had anticipated, and with the economy the way it is, people are looking for more budget minded systems this year, including the lower price Xbox 360's and Wii's. Heck, for $299, you can get a 360 with 2 games included and a 60gb hard drive. Sony's closest alternative is the $399 80gb model that includes NOTHING.

I just recently acquired a 40gb PS3 for a good price, and it came with 3 games. I have enjoyed the upconversion DVD's it offers, as well as the free online capabilities. Whilst my 360 is being repaired, it has become a fun system to play. I wish it had the PS2 compatibility though, so I could get rid of my PS2 slim.

Anyhow, to sum up, I think the PS3 will be around awhile longer (it still has a fairly large consumer base, despite its lagging sales). Hopefully, Sony will learn its lesson from this, and understand that having the lack of backwards comatibility is a big NO-NO.

Ian

zzz

Postby zzz » December 14th, 2008, 1:43 pm

I jeered it for a long time when I heard about the Wii, but now it's been reveresed. Wii has been a monumental flop in my opinion. When the casual crowd goes elsewhere, Nintendo is going to be screwed. But games like Heavenly Sword and Mirriors Edge are games I can't go without. (Yes I know Mirriors Edge is on the 360.) I really hope Sony pulls through this.

feilong801

Postby feilong801 » December 14th, 2008, 2:10 pm

[QUOTE=zzz]

I jeered it for a long time when I heard about the Wii, but now it's been reveresed. Wii has been a monumental flop in my opinion. When the casual crowd goes elsewhere, Nintendo is going to be screwed. But games like Heavenly Sword and Mirriors Edge are games I can't go without. (Yes I know Mirriors Edge is on the 360.) I really hope Sony pulls through this.

[/QUOTE]

I certainly hope I can achieve the sort of monumental flop that Nintendo has with Wii with just about anything I try in my life. That casual crowd you speak of isn't going anywhere, or we'd see evidence of it going elsewhere by now.

-Rob

steer

Postby steer » December 14th, 2008, 3:49 pm

When the casual crowd goes elsewhere, Nintendo is going to be screwed

You may have it completely backwards, the industry may well have to slide back toward classic and or Nintendo style gaming.

Go back a few years, remember the themes of the day?

1. EGM had an article that said Nintendo was like a silent movie maker in a world of talkie games, they were behind the times for not embracing stroytelling.

2. GC/GBA copnnectivity was released about the same time LIVE got going. Even though they had nothing in common whatsoevere, it fit the 'Nintendo is lost' theme again - Subscription Online was the future, (and in some ways it is, it aint going anywhere, dont get me wrong.) Nintendo had no clue.

3. It did not mattrer that Nintendo made money on GC - they were losing market share every generation, and soon they would lose the portable scene to the uber powerful PSP. At that point Nintendo would be humbled, like SEGA, and forced to 3rd part game making.

4. In general it was thought the industry had moved beyond the traditional game companies - Sony and MS controlled the future of gaming, and that future was complex 3-d game, 'photorealisitic' graphics (sure to come soon!), online gameplay, multimedia consoles,, etc. Plug and play and arcade gaming were relics of a simpler time.

Well, now what? Nintendo has porved their Wii model to be superior, far superior than the format/console wars. Some ppl like classic gaming, Nintendo had very little classic gaming or new franchses on the GC console. Most of their big hits, and great games to be sure, were 3-d adventure games. They were a long way gone form the arcade roots the company was built on, Donkey Kong, Super MArio, Punch Out, Ice Hockey Etc.

Well they are back now, and the industry could not afford to ignore the success of the DS, and the new input, nor can they ignore the Wii.

Well they can ignore it, but they will lose out.

Classic gaming and neo-classic game design (Wii Sports!) is not casual, but it is mainstream.

That how I see it, anyway, and I know my brothers here dont often see it my way....this is why I think ppl hate the success of the wii, it is completely opposite of what ppl have thought gaming is today and where it was going tommorrow.

But the fact is a powerful but simple idea like Brain Age, well executed, is in many ways superior to a well executued, supremly complex 3-d game - Nintendo does not have to play by anyone elses rules to succed, they have evolved, no question.

Call it causal, it is success and it id GAMING! no matter how you want to brand or deride it.

Anayo1

Postby Anayo1 » December 14th, 2008, 5:25 pm

Steer: That's a good assessment. Back in 2005 I certainly thought the future of games were headed towards "photorealistic 3D", but the Wii and DS really took me by surprise.

Return to “Modern Gaming”