PS3 is a sinking ship: Sales plummet

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
andrew

Postby andrew » January 9th, 2009, 7:02 pm

[QUOTE=funky_muzic]While Blu-Ray may "catch on", I don't foresee it having the same lifetime as "old-school" DVDs.  The main issue is that you need an HDTV to get something out of Blu-Ray.  HDTVs are still "catching on". 
I think that by the time HDTVs outnumber square TVs, there will be another storage format on the horizon.  Also many people will be downloading HD movies to store on there multi-TB DVRs. 
[/QUOTE]

Just to add to HDTV's struggles, consider that countless millions who don't even have digital capable tv's which have been around since the late 1990's. They are buying their digital to analog converter boxes for the switch. In fact over 12 million have asked for it that  $40 rebate per family budget has been exhausted. If we have that many people still using their antiquated tv's that use rabbit ears and cable boxes that still work for some reason, they're sure not getting HDTV's and blu-ray.

N64dude

Postby N64dude » January 24th, 2009, 9:43 pm

Graphics don't sell systems,if anything a massive library with 95% crap and bad graphics do, the only exception being SNES .

Atari 2600 vs the others (2600 has 99% crap,and terrible graphics,Atari wins then kills everyone including themselves w/E.T.)

NES vs SEGA Master System( NES is not durable has crappy graphics,and has 95% crap which one sells 60 million,NES)

SNES vs Genesis and TG-16 (All are at equal level except Genesis has 94% crap rather than SNES's 95%)

SAT vs PSX vs N64 (Saturn has maybe 3% crap,N64 has 20% crap and best graphics,PSX has 95 % crap,PSX is least durable and has worst graphics in both 2D and 3D,PSX becomes the 100 million seller)

DC vs PS2 vs GCN vs Xbox (DC has the least of everything except maybe graphics,PS2 is hard to program,unlovable graphics,and a garbage rate waaaay higher than what Wii has now,GCN is ahead of every console in everything except Xbox whixh has better graphics,Ps2 wins )

So duh! Wii wins,the more negativity a console garners,he more attention in general if Wii lost,SONY would probably cause a video game crash

Ps3 might be able to get past 360 but then again,their hasn't been a console since SNES that had top graphics and won.Ps2 may have brought in DVD's and used that to win but it only got as far as it did because SEGA gave up unless Microsoft quits PS3 will most likely stay at the bottom.If I'm wrong cut me some slack I was 2 when SONY began the 11 year run

steer

Postby steer » January 25th, 2009, 8:42 am

So duh! Wii wins,the more negativity a console garners,he more attention in general if Wii lost,SONY would probably cause a video game crash

No way, most ppl do not have a negative view of the Wii, nor did they with the PSX, nor did they with a PS2. Sure, the market leader gets the dreck and the niche, that is common sense. But even, so a LOT of that is multipatform as well.

PSX started slow remember. And it was more expensive at first. But it did have a WAY cheaper format, and though it lacked graphic power it had FMV! FMV was uber hype, and this is where the whole vidoegame story disaster, (which is beginning to implode today), began. That is why they were successful, cheaper dev, cheaper distribution, FMV innovation(?)

PS2 was a perfect torch pass, from console to console. Got out a year ahead of XBOX/GC, and they fought each other for 2nd the whole way, similar to 360/PS3 now. By this time Sony had built 3rd party exclusive juggernaut status, devs had less reason to compete against Nintendo (something they may have to rethink now) on their own platform, and Sony absolutely dominated. That is why they were successful, tons of 3rd party exclusives, powerful brand.

Then they overreached. Too expensive, longer dev times, a jump in graphics, but at great cost. And since instsall base were low and slow, and games so incredibly big budget, the exclusivity went out the window, and multiplatform today is absolutley ridiculous. Look at Free Radical and Factor 5, release an expensive and exclusive dud and dead. This is a huge benefit for Nintendo, who, with a few exceptions, does not even split franchises (or segments of them exp. 2-d, 3-d Mario) between DS and Wii!

So that is what Nintendo has, they are a much bigger publisher than Sony and MS, and most of MS library is also on PC. So they have more exclusives.  They backed up their new controller with great software, unlike Sony, and it has thrived. And now they are improving on that.

The Wii-series of games is the best thing to happen to gaming since maybe, well, ever. And that sold the Wii, and will continue to sell the Wii. Look at the top selling games of 2008. Nintendo is the only company with new franchises, everything else is sequel land (as are half of Nintendos 'coat tail' games like Mario Kart.) Nintendo has several games released in 2006 and 2007 for Wii and DS on the 2008 list, because they are new ideas.

Call it casual if you like, but look at 360 - hah, one of the few games that made the top 25 for 360 was LEGO Indian Jones. Thats cool, but you will never see something like that topping a Nintendo platform, a toy and movie license tie in. Nintendo makes VIDEO games! The big publishers run this industry, and Nintendo is the only one throwing their BEST ppl on new ideas, instead of having C-squad make me-too games.

A lot of things lined up for Wii domination, but the software made it happen, not the shovelware....(and who cares if little girls can buy 'horse games' on Wii anyway????

More power to them.

Fragnox

Postby Fragnox » January 25th, 2009, 9:55 am

[QUOTE=steer]No way, most ppl do not have a negative view of the Wii[/QUOTE]

Yes they do...about 75% of gamers do.  I don't care about the rest of the general population.  The rest of the general population doesn't have a negative view of the Wii because they aren't all that into video games in the first place...they were inspired to start playing by touch screen and motion sensor games.

[QUOTE=steer]The Wii-series of games is the best thing to happen to gaming since maybe, well, ever. And that sold the Wii, and will continue to sell the Wii. Look at the top selling games of 2008. Nintendo is the only company with new franchises, everything else is sequel land (as are half of Nintendos 'coat tail' games like Mario Kart.) Nintendo has several games released in 2006 and 2007 for Wii and DS on the 2008 list, because they are new ideas.[/QUOTE]

The Wii series of games is the best thing to happen Nintendo.  Why is it beneficial to video games at all?  I don't see how playing tennis by swinging a remote around is helping gaming.  It's helpful to Nintendo, because yes, it is selling Wiis.  Why the hell do we care how much Nintendo makes, though?  I sure don't.  The only time I ever cared was back when I still liked the Wii and was using its large success in sales to prove to my friends how great it was.

[QUOTE=steer]Call it casual if you like, but look at 360 - hah, one of the few games that made the top 25 for 360 was LEGO Indian Jones. Thats cool, but you will never see something like that topping a Nintendo platform, a toy and movie license tie in. Nintendo makes VIDEO games! The big publishers run this industry, and Nintendo is the only one throwing their BEST ppl on new ideas, instead of having C-squad make me-too games. [/QUOTE]

Wow, this is probably the funniest arguments I've ever heard you make.

First of all, "one of the few games"?  Sounds like you're trying to slip in subtle hints that the 360 is bad.  That would work if we weren't talking about a list of the top 25 games.  There are 25 there.  Not "few".  25.  Nintendo has the same amount of games on their top 25.  That's how a top 25 list works.  That's why it's called the top 25 list.

Second, the 360 is casual because Lego Indiana Jones is in the top 25?  Movie titles generally suck, but since when are they casual?  I remember Jurassic Park for the Sega Genesis (although that was slightly more based on the book than the movie).  That game is extremely hard.  I'd love to see a casual gamer beat it.  I'm generally not a fan of movie titles (except for Jurassic Park) and am not defending them, but I find it ridiculous that you're taking one title from the 360's top 25 to say "LOOK!  THE 360, NOT THE WII, IS CASUAL!"
Also, could you link me to this list?  There are many "Top 25" lists for each console, and I don't know which you're talking about.

Also...half of Nintendo's library is made up of movie titles.  Do you remember the launch titles?  About half of them were movie or TV show games.  If you're going to argue that those type of titles are casual, you're going to have to accept the fact that you're not helping the Wii's cause.  I don't see how an action/adventure game is more casual than the Wii line of titles anyways.  But I also don't see you ever admitting that they are casual, so it's a moot point.

[QUOTE=steer]A lot of things lined up for Wii domination, but the software made it happen, not the shovelware....(and who cares if little girls can buy 'horse games' on Wii anyway????[/QUOTE]

What lined the Wii up for domination was motion sensor and peripherals, not software.  Wii Sports would be no different from any other sports game if it didn't have motion sensor.  Wii Fit wouldn't exist if the balance board didn't exist.  Wii Play wouldn't even be half as popular if it didn't come with a Wiimote -- and if Wiimotes hadn't been scarce as hell.

steer

Postby steer » January 25th, 2009, 11:45 am

First of all, "one of the few games"?  Sounds like you're trying to slip in subtle hints that the 360 is bad.  That would work if we weren't talking about a list of the top 25 games.  There are 25 there.  Not "few".  25.  Nintendo has the same amount of games on their top 25.  That's how a top 25 list works.  That's why it's called the top 25 list.

No, you do not understand. This is the top 25 for all consoles, in 2008. That is like census data for the gmae industry. Nintendo is the most populous city in that censous. By a wide margin, thanks to new IP's. That is my point.

Yes they do...about 75% of gamers do. 

I am not a gamer, thank heaven. I  enjoy gaming. Your list of games bought in 2008 was an essay in discontent and frustration. I LOVED 2008.

What lined the Wii up for domination was motion sensor and peripherals, not software. 

No, the software gives life to the peripheal. That is common sense. Why is 6 axis languashing then?

But, back on topic, if the PS3 IS a sinking ship, what can Sony do to get back on top?

They no longer have the cd vs cart cost adavantage. That is a long time gone.

They're army of 3rd party exclusives is smahed beyond reconition. Do you realise they had FF (now essentialy a DS retro franchise, a kind of relic) and GTA (frat-causual) as huge system sellers and exclusives for PS2? That is gone now.

They are no longer the 'cool' non Nintendo game option, MS is, at present.

They're most popular inhouse title by far is Gran Turismo. I like Gran Turismo. But there came a day for Nintendo when Mario was not enough, and Zelda, and certainly not Metroid, and Nintendo had to make Mii's.

Meanwhile, Sony is making Home.

Fragnox

Postby Fragnox » January 25th, 2009, 2:04 pm

[QUOTE=steer]No, you do not understand. This is the top 25 for all consoles, in 2008. That is like census data for the gmae industry. Nintendo is the most populous city in that censous. By a wide margin, thanks to new IP's. That is my point.[/QUOTE]

Ah, you said "the top 25 for 360" so I thought you meant the top 25 list for the 360 alone.

Also, is this sales or ratings?

[QUOTE=steer]I am not a gamer, thank heaven. I  enjoy gaming. Your list of games bought in 2008 was an essay in discontent and frustration. I LOVED 2008.[/QUOTE]

Wait, what?  Considering the fact that you're on a video game forum, first of all, I would assume that you are a gamer.  Also, I enjoy gaming too.  That's why I'm a gamer.

Also, why do you INSIST on bringing previous threads into current ones to bash me?  Not only did you fail at doing so, but it's unnecessary in the first place.  I bought like, 6 games that were released in '08, yes.  I bought many others that weren't released in '08 last year.  I don't really care if you DO have a problem with my game selection or not, because I don't really agree with your tastes in games either, and I thought '08 was rather crappy.  That doesn't mean I'm going to tell you you don't enjoy gaming.  Stop being so elitist.

[QUOTE=steer]No, the software gives life to the peripheal. That is common sense. Why is 6 axis languashing then?[/QUOTE]

I repeat; if it weren't for motion sensor, Wii Sports would not be any different from any other sports game.  Wii Fit would be useless if there were no balance board.  Don't kid yourself; it's the gimmicks and peripherals giving the life, not the other way around.

Sixaxis isn't doing well because Sixaxis is not only barely used but not developed very much at all.  You can't swing swords, aim guns, or bowl a ball with the Sixaxis; the best you can do is something like shaking off a zombie.

TheBawwRadar

Postby TheBawwRadar » January 25th, 2009, 2:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by steer
I am not a gamer, thank heaven. I  enjoy gaming. Your list of games bought in 2008 was an essay in discontent and frustration. I LOVED 2008.

Whoa there, you are no way, a non-gamer. Also, this is one of the biggest contradicton's I have read.

Steve1

Postby Steve1 » January 25th, 2009, 5:03 pm

Congratulate me everyone, I'm going to make my first negative/somewhat angry post based on this comment:

[QUOTE]
Call it casual if you like, but look at 360 - hah, one of the few games that made the top 25 for 360 was LEGO Indian Jones. Thats cool, but you will never see something like that topping a Nintendo platform, a toy and movie license tie in. Nintendo makes VIDEO games!
[/QUOTE]

This is a terrible statement to make for so many reasons (but I'll only list a couple).
1) LEGO Indiana Jones is a Top 25 seller for one simple reason. It was part of the Holiday bundle. You yourself have quoted VGChatz and I am guessing your data is from there. You will also note that Kung Fu Panda was a Top 25 also for the same reason.
2) What is wrong with a movie/toy tie-in? I happen to love the LEGO games and have all of them. Also, there are some good movie tie-in games. They are not ALL bad.
3) Along the same lines, I could pick any game from the Wii top 25 and say "that would never top a Microsoft platform, a <fill in the blank game>". The statement really does not mean anything. To be honest, I'm glad the consoles for the most part have different types of games. Also, at the risk of straying from my thoughts, I think the 360 has the most well rounded library of games out there. It may be dominated by First Person Shooters but there are plenty of other types of games that I have not seen elsewhere in such great quantity.
To this, I say.....good for LEGO Indiana Jones, etc and good for 'Wii <whatever>.
4) What in the world does this mean? "Nintendo makes VIDEO games!"  I thought everyone made video games?

Steer, I never had a problem with your posts and even though I don't own a Wii, I see your logic behind many of your arguements however, this posting is just ridiculous (at least the quoted part). I hope I still have the respect you once bestowed upon me as one of the more level-headed people.

N64Dude1

Postby N64Dude1 » January 25th, 2009, 5:15 pm

I agree with Fragonox 2008 sucked,however one of the best games ever was released that year that being Super Smash Bros. Brawl. The only other games of any worth were

De Blob
Little Big Planet
Mario Kart Wii
Fable II
Sonic Chronicles:The Dark Brotherhood
Mushroom Men:The Spore Wars
Wii Fit
We Ski[This one was actually a good casual clone I was quite astounded]
No More Heroes
Boom Blox

After that well there are mostly mediocre or half-baked stuff like Samba De Amigo[The greatest let down of 2008] and Sonic Unleashed

ajsmart1

Postby ajsmart1 » January 25th, 2009, 6:28 pm

[QUOTE=steer]
They're most popular inhouse title by far is Gran Turismo. I like Gran Turismo. But there came a day for Nintendo when Mario was not enough, and Zelda, and certainly not Metroid, and Nintendo had to make Mii's.

Meanwhile, Sony is making Home.
[/QUOTE]

If you think Gran Turismo and Home is all Sony has come up with in house, then you either have no clue - or you need to take your blinders off.

list of all SCEA published games (all platforms sorted by date)

Return to “Modern Gaming”