Red Ring of Death

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Koopa W.

Red Ring of Death

Postby Koopa W. » December 14th, 2008, 12:50 pm

I finally got the RRoD. My much-beloved Xbox 360 has died. I don't have any idea what to do now. Seriously, this is depressing. Just when I find out I'm finally getting the PS3 I've long wanted, my best friend in the world (depressing as that is, it's true) dies. This is sick and unfair. What do I do? How do I go about getting Microsoft to repair it? Not sure why I'm posting this here though, since I'm pretty sure everyone other than 'Blue and Tourian hates me, but whatever. Just one massively depressed gamer looking for help...

zzz

Red Ring of Death

Postby zzz » December 14th, 2008, 2:09 pm

Sorry to hear about that. But this is why I've avoided the 360 like the plauge.

NixonTech2071

Red Ring of Death

Postby NixonTech2071 » December 14th, 2008, 2:16 pm

Im still on the whole belief that half of the failure rate comes from placing the consoles in closed area's.

But however you trea your consoles, Im sorry.

Koopa W.

Red Ring of Death

Postby Koopa W. » December 14th, 2008, 2:36 pm

[QUOTE=NixonTech2071]Im still on the whole belief that half of the failure rate comes from placing the consoles in closed area's. But however you trea your consoles, Im sorry. [/QUOTE] I just always keep it out in the open and in pristine condition. I take excellent care of it. I don't understand this at all. And thank you (and zzz) for your sympathy.

txsizzler1

Red Ring of Death

Postby txsizzler1 » December 14th, 2008, 3:07 pm

[QUOTE=Koopa W.]

I finally got the RRoD. My much-beloved Xbox 360 has died. I don't have any idea what to do now. Seriously, this is depressing. Just when I find out I'm finally getting the PS3 I've long wanted, my best friend in the world (depressing as that is, it's true) dies. This is sick and unfair. What do I do? How do I go about getting Microsoft to repair it? Not sure why I'm posting this here though, since I'm pretty sure everyone other than 'Blue and Tourian hates me, but whatever. Just one massively depressed gamer looking for help...

[/QUOTE]

Mine just died this past week. I went to xbox.com website, registered the console, and put in a work request. If its the 3 Red Rings, and the console was bought in the past 3 years, Microsoft will repair it for free. They will even pay for the shipping, via UPS Ground. I sent mine in on Wednesday, December 10th, and they had it by December 12th. I am hoping to get it back within the next 2-3 weeks (note the word, "hoping").

I think with the other Red Ring errors (not sure what 1,2, or 4 Red Rings mean), Microsoft will repair it for free, if your console was bought in the past year. So, to sum up, do not fear, Koopa. There is a light at the end of the tunnel!

Ian

Steve1

Red Ring of Death

Postby Steve1 » December 15th, 2008, 2:20 am

For the people who got the red ring (Koopa and Txsizzler), how old are your systems? Do you have one of the originals? My understanding is that the newer systems don't have this problem. I got mine in the first year  of release and have not had the problem yet.

Koopa W.

Red Ring of Death

Postby Koopa W. » December 15th, 2008, 5:51 pm

[QUOTE=Steve]

For the people who got the red ring (Koopa and Txsizzler), how old are your systems? Do you have one of the originals? My understanding is that the newer systems don't have this problem. I got mine in the first year  of release and have not had the problem yet.

[/QUOTE]

I had one of the originals. I recieved mine for Xmas 2006. I never had a single problem with it, and took excellent care of it, and now it's gone.

txsizzler1

Red Ring of Death

Postby txsizzler1 » December 15th, 2008, 6:39 pm

I am not sure you could call it the "original" that came out for the Christmas of '05. I bought mine in April 2006, worked great until this past spring, when I noticed on GTA IV it would occasionally freeze. Then, about 3 weeks ago, I noticed there would be the occasional lag in games, but then it would go back to normal after about 15 seconds. Then, on Tuesday December 9th, when I started playing Oblivion, the game froze, and then the Red Rings of Death showed up.

Ian

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Red Ring of Death

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 15th, 2008, 10:59 pm

I also started noticing some strange behavior in Sept, like Madden freezing up when loading.  I didn't take it seriously at the time, but in November my 360 went belly up.

andrew

Red Ring of Death

Postby andrew » December 15th, 2008, 11:07 pm

[QUOTE=txsizzler][QUOTE=Koopa W.]

[/QUOTE]

Mine just died this past week. I went to xbox.com website, registered the console, and put in a work request. If its the 3 Red Rings, and the console was bought in the past 3 years, Microsoft will repair it for free. They will even pay for the shipping, via UPS Ground. I sent mine in on Wednesday, December 10th, and they had it by December 12th. I am hoping to get it back within the next 2-3 weeks (note the word, "hoping").

I think with the other Red Ring errors (not sure what 1,2, or 4 Red Rings mean), Microsoft will repair it for free, if your console was bought in the past year. So, to sum up, do not fear, Koopa. There is a light at the end of the tunnel!

Ian

[/QUOTE]

2 of the other 3 cases usually aren't fatal:

4 rings:

This issue may occur for one of the following reasons:
  • The audio-visual (AV) cable is not connected correctly or is not plugged in to your Xbox 360 console.
  • The console is not detecting the cable.
2 rings:

This problem may occur when the Xbox console is too hot or is overheating. The flashing lights mean that the internal temperature of your Xbox 360 console has exceeded acceptable temperature limits.

1 ring:

This usually means there is a hardware problem in the Xbox 360 console.

Lets not forget cryptic Microsoft error codes E67, E68, E69 or E74.

All info from xbox customer support page.

Return to “Modern Gaming”