Any Wii reccomendations?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Leo1

Any Wii reccomendations?

Postby Leo1 » December 15th, 2008, 1:45 pm

This is in no way to show off my collection, there's a thread here already about our Wii collections and mine was already posted. 

I'm just wondering what else I should pick up in the future that is presently out there that I may be interested in, that's slipped under my radar so far?

I have no interest in Wii Fit, Wii Music, or Super Smash Brothers. And I thought No More Heroes, despite its current budget pricing, wasn't a very good game and I don't want to buy it. Animal Crossing intrigues me, but I'm not sure its for me and its too risky at full price.

I realized there's only a handful of titles left in mind that I want, after purchasing Boom Blox last night.

I intend to buy Okami (Despite owning the PS2 version), Wii Play (Mainly for another remote), Excitetruck, and Kornicopia (I think I spelled that correctly) eventually. Anyone have any good suggestions?

Boom Blox
Brothers in Arms: Double Time
Carnival Games
Endless Ocean
House of the Dead 2 and 3 Return
Indianapolis 500 Legends
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Link's Crossbow Training
Mario Kart Wii
Medal of Honor Heroes 2
Mercury Meltdown Revolution
Metroid Prime 3
Need for Speed: Carbon
Need for Speed: ProStreet
Nights
Pinball Hall of Fame: The William's Collection
Resident Evil 4
Super Mario Galaxies
Super Paper Mario
Wii Sports

steer

Any Wii reccomendations?

Postby steer » December 15th, 2008, 2:45 pm

Have any wiiware?

All the art stye games are quite good.

Cubello is the easiest to pick up and enjoy, and can be addicting.

Orbient is my favorite - classic gaming, its simple but challenging.

Rotohex is the toughest - very cool game but it kills your eyes and your brain after awhile.

Wild West guns is a lot like Crossbow Traing, everyone I have showed this to had fun with it. Nothing spectacular, but entertaining.

World of Goo is a weird physics puzzler, lots of personality, humourous and great music. Its pricy for Wiiware, but a very good game

snakeboy1

Any Wii reccomendations?

Postby snakeboy1 » December 15th, 2008, 3:42 pm

The two that immediately come to mind are Geometry Wars Galaxies and Wario Land Shake It.

JustLikeHeaven1

Any Wii reccomendations?

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » December 15th, 2008, 4:56 pm

Zack and Wiki - You can find this game dirt cheap...My local Toy's R Us had tons of them for $10.  Great game at a great price.

de Blob - A really unique game that is charming and fun to play.  The art style is wonderful and its simply a good game.

Monster Lab - This game is targeted at younger audiences, but its Tim Burton style and quirky gameplay won me over.  It sort of reminded me of a twisted version of Tecmo's Monster Rancher.  Not for everyone, but if you think it sounds interesting take a chance on it.

Sam and Max Season 1 - Despite some technical problems (frame-rate mostly) this is a fun adventure game that reminds me of the old Lucas Arts SCUMM games.  If you don't want to play the PC version of this the Wii game is fairly well done.

Paul Campbell

Any Wii reccomendations?

Postby Paul Campbell » December 15th, 2008, 5:46 pm

I strongly second the Zak and Wiki emotion.

Leo1

Any Wii reccomendations?

Postby Leo1 » December 15th, 2008, 10:48 pm

Thanks guys!

I actually do have a few WiiWare games, Mega Man 9, the aquarium, and World of Goo. All three were worth the price. So thanks for the suggestions there, I'll have to look into those along with Space Invaders. Bought two Wii Points cards today, so I know what I'll be using them on now.

I don't think de Blob is for me, I watched a 10 minute long or so interview with a developer showing it off as he played a while back, and was rather bored. I will add Zack and Wiki and Sam and Max Season 1 to my wish list of future Wii purchases though.

I actually meant to have Geometry Wars Galaxies on my list of planned purchases, but I see I forgot it. Would I like Wario Land Shake It (I'm fond of traditional platformers)? It doesn't seem like a traditional platform title, I've heard things about time limits, retracing your steps at the end of every level, and several other things that slip my mind currently that had me concerned as a fan of Nintendo platformers in the Mario style. So I've held off so far in getting it. 

steer

Any Wii reccomendations?

Postby steer » December 16th, 2008, 12:31 am

I actually do have a few WiiWare games, Mega Man 9, the aquarium, and World of Goo. All three were worth the price. So thanks for the suggestions there, I'll have to look into those along with Space Invaders. Bought two Wii Points cards today, so I know what I'll be using them on now.
What is aquarium like?

Also - alls I axed for Christmas was wii point cards and I know I aint getting any - told to me in no uncertain terms - I have to be surprised, I guess! Someone does not want me to have a happy holiday!!! - nothing beats 'free' points, than you dont feel bad if you get a game you dont care for!

Maybe we can 'draw names' on this board and do a gift exchange? j/k

QF

Any Wii reccomendations?

Postby QF » December 16th, 2008, 2:39 am

Mushroom Men
Ghost Squad
COD 5
I would leave out the Brothers In Arms games.

Leo1

Any Wii reccomendations?

Postby Leo1 » December 16th, 2008, 4:12 pm

I typically go with 360 versions for multiplatform titles, so when I buy Call of Duty 5, it will be the 360 release. The two NFS titles on my list were gifts due to liking racing games, weren't my ideas.

I already own Brothers in Arms, wasn't worth the price. They didn't do a very good job of incorporating the Wii controls, and there were some serious frame rate issues. Was pretty disappointing, I loved the Xbox originals and was expecting this release to be the definitive version of the two titles. But it was just a quick cash in by Ubisoft.

Isn't Ghost Squad a light gun style game? Maybe I'd like it, guess I should go watch some videos.

snakeboy1

Any Wii reccomendations?

Postby snakeboy1 » December 16th, 2008, 10:27 pm

[QUOTE=Leo] Would I like Wario Land Shake It? Doesn't seem like a traditional platform title, I've heard things about time limits and several other things that slip my mind currently that had me concerned as a fan of Nintendo platformers in the Mario style, and made me decide to hold off on getting.
[/QUOTE]

Of course I can't say for sure if you would like Wario Land Shake It, but for me it has become a game that has really grown on me. If you do decide to get it, I would suggest to not write it off after the first few levels. At first I found the game to be kind of easy and "blah", but it really picks up once the game's difficulty increases.

As far as the time limits that you mention, those occur when you reach the end of the stage. You have to make it back to the beginning of the stage in certain amount of time. Sound kind of dumb, but it's not that bad. It's usually pretty easy to do, and the only real challenge to it is to try reach the beginning in a certain amount of time to accomplish one of the "missions" for each stage.

Speaking of which, there are certain missions for each stage such as collecting a certain amount of coins and finishing the stage without taking damage. If things like this don't appeal to you, don't worry because they aren't required. I usually don't care about these things, but trying to find the 3 treasures in each stage has become kind of addictive for me.

Another thing to consider would be how you feel about motion controls being added to games like this. Personally, I have found that they work well and that they add variety to the gameplay. However, I have heard others complain about them being "unresponsive" and "wonky", but as I said, I haven't found that to be the case.

Anyway, I hoped that helped a little. Overall, it's not an amazing game, but I would probably give it a solid "B" grade. I think if you are patient, you could probably find it for under $30. At that price, I would definitely recommend it.

Return to “Modern Gaming”