360 is becoming a Wii wanna-be...

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Allpaul1

Postby Allpaul1 » December 24th, 2008, 12:07 pm

That's classic Microsoft, really. They copy everything, and rarely come up with their own ideas. Not saying the Xbox is bad, just for the record...

Steve1

Postby Steve1 » December 24th, 2008, 6:12 pm

Microsoft may not be as innovative as other companies who have been in the game business longer but they did come up with something new and great....the Achievement system. I know people who have bought games just to get achievements.....silly? of course. Innovative?.....you bet.

steer

Postby steer » December 29th, 2008, 11:30 pm

If I wanted to become a candyass'd wuss, I'd start watching Disney movies, leave video games out of it. Zen-0

I totally agree.  Although I guess I should clarify that I don't really think that everything is going to become Wii-ish (I agree that would suck). P/C 

I dunno, with repsect, but I think advertising/branding aint exclusive to the so-called 'casuals'....

What is 'Wii-ish', anyhow? Nintendo is introducing origional software on an origional controller, and sharpening game design on less buttons...you can talk all you wany about shovelware and me too software, but big deal, these games dont sell crap and therefore they do not define the wii library. It is selective logic, imho, the PS2 has what, 1800 titles released????

Yeah, and they are all top shelf, right? Give me a break, to the victor goes the shovelware, today tommorrow and historically.

I love 'wii-ish' games, wii sports, wii play, wii fit, wii music and soon to be wii sports 2, these are the games (along with wiiware) that make owning a wii interesting, and these are the games you cant find crap for comparison on the Gamecube, on the PS3 or on the 360. - they are the differece, or at least 75% of it....

wur1

Postby wur1 » December 29th, 2008, 11:36 pm

The main problem I have with the 360 is I can't discern the difference between the games available on it and those that work on my laptop.

Fragnox

Postby Fragnox » January 1st, 2009, 11:41 pm

[QUOTE=steer]What is 'Wii-ish', anyhow? Nintendo is introducing origional software on an origional controller, and sharpening game design on less buttons...you can talk all you wany about shovelware and me too software, but big deal, these games dont sell crap and therefore they do not define the wii library. It is selective logic, imho, the PS2 has what, 1800 titles released????[/QUOTE]

The only thing "original" about the Wii is that it has motion sensor.  And after two years and tons of stick-waggling "fun" (read: boredom), it's not original or innovative anymore.  It seems Nintendo and Wii developers have decided that motion sensor gives them an excuse to do practically nothing else to further the concept.  They're remaking games just to slap motion sensor on them.

[QUOTE=steer]Yeah, and they are all top shelf, right? Give me a break, to the victor goes the shovelware, today tommorrow and historically.[/QUOTE]

That would be a viable argument if the Wii's library were not made up of shovelware.

[QUOTE=steer]I love 'wii-ish' games, wii sports, wii play, wii fit, wii music and soon to be wii sports 2, these are the games (along with wiiware) that make owning a wii interesting, and these are the games you cant find crap for comparison on the Gamecube, on the PS3 or on the 360. - they are the differece, or at least 75% of it....[/QUOTE]

That's great for you, but those games are nearly depthless.  The Wii is interesting, but the Wii ___ line of games are not to be held in a higher esteem than normal games.  They are much different, so it is hard to compare other games to them, but I've gotten many more hours out of games like Super Metroid, A Link to the Past, the Genesis Sonic titles, and the Super Smash Bros. games than I have the Wii titles.  Each of those individual titles, even the individual Sonic games and Smash Bros. games have given me more play time than Wii Fit, Wii Play, and Wii Sports combined -- and I've gotten more enjoyment as well.  It's hard to compare, but those games are HARDLY the best games of those three consoles.

steer

Postby steer » January 2nd, 2009, 7:56 am

The only thing "original" about the Wii is that it has motion sensor.

What about the IR pointer?

And after two years and tons of stick-waggling "fun" (read: boredom), it's not original or innovative anymore.

Sure it is - how can a button press power meter beat wii sports golf????

They're remaking games just to slap motion sensor on them.

Oh sure - that Mario Galaxy remake was pretty uninspired, control wise. YOu could port that to GC controller - if you took out half of the game, or neutered it. Try again, try harder!

That would be a viable argument if the Wii's library were not made up of shovelware.

Well, this is just dumb, so I will leave it at that....

The Wii is interesting, but the Wii ___ line of games are not to be held in a higher esteem than normal games.  They are much different, so it is hard to compare other games to them, but I've gotten many more hours out of games like Super Metroid, A Link to the Past, the Genesis Sonic titles, and the Super Smash Bros.

I am not sure I have - arcade games have more replay than a game like Super Metroid or Link to the Past....more comprablew would be Ice Hockey, Punch Out, Balloon fight, etc.

Quetzalcoatlus

Postby Quetzalcoatlus » January 2nd, 2009, 2:06 pm

[QUOTE=steer] how can a button press power meter beat wii sports golf???[/QUOTE]
Honestly, I thought the controls in Wii Sports Golf were glitchy and imprecise, especially when putting. Until there's a golf game with controls that are a lot closer to real golfing, I will greatly prefer the standard three-press power meter.

Fragnox

Postby Fragnox » January 2nd, 2009, 2:35 pm

[QUOTE=steer]What about the IR pointer?[/QUOTE]

That was included when I said "motion sensor".  It's basically like a light gun, which is really a type of motion sensing.

[QUOTE]Sure it is - how can a button press power meter beat wii sports golf????[/QUOTE]

Because the button press power meter doesn't often glitch and swing forward when you swing backwards?  Or swing backwards when you swing forwards?

[QUOTE]Oh sure - that Mario Galaxy remake was pretty uninspired, control wise. YOu could port that to GC controller - if you took out half of the game, or neutered it. Try again, try harder![/QUOTE]

When I was talking about games being remade for motion sensor, I was talking about Resident Evil 4 for Wii and the "Play on Wii" titles, like Metroid Prime, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, etc.

And since when would you need to neuter the game to port it to Gamecube?  Aside from the pointless shooting of star bits (I don't think you ever needed to use them unless you wanted to get coins or get a head start on an enemy), everything could  be put on a GC controller.

[QUOTE]Well, this is just dumb, so I will leave it at that....[/QUOTE]

In other words, you have nothing to refute that so you're just going to ignore it?  There are a few solid titles on the Wii.  Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 3, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn...along those lines.  Then you've got a ton of games that are depthless, pointless, and shovelware.

[QUOTE]I am not sure I have - arcade games have more replay than a game like Super Metroid or Link to the Past....more comprablew would be Ice Hockey, Punch Out, Balloon fight, etc.[/QUOTE]

If they've got so little replay value then why is it that I've played through Super Metroid 8 times, A Link to the Past 4 times, Metroid Fusion a whopping 28 times?  Because, if the games interest you, you can get a good amount of replay value out of them.  There are things to challenge you, like sequence-breaking, getting better times, going with the lowest amount of health/items you can.  Whereas Wii Sports and Wii Play you just keep playing to get a better score.  Wii Fit you just work to maintain physical fitness, which you can do without spending $90 on something with a scale that's inaccurate anyways (I weighed myself on it once and accidentally told it to do it again, and I was something like 5 lbs lighter).  Wii Music has no goal.

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » January 2nd, 2009, 2:38 pm

[QUOTE=Quetzalcoatlus][QUOTE=steer] how can a button press power meter beat wii sports golf???[/QUOTE]
Honestly, I thought the controls in Wii Sports Golf were glitchy and imprecise, especially when putting. Until there's a golf game with controls that are a lot closer to real golfing, I will greatly prefer the standard three-press power meter.
[/QUOTE]

haha, I thought all the Wii games were glitchy and imprecise.  Golf was one of the few games I actually got better while playing. 

I'm still waiting for a Fight Night Round 3 like game on the Wii.  That game rocks.  I can only imagine how fun it would be using a Wii control scheme that's actually responsive.  My hunch is Punch Out will use the new adapter in Wii Resort, if so that should make for an interesting game.

steer

Postby steer » January 2nd, 2009, 6:47 pm

Because the button press power meter doesn't often glitch and swing forward when you swing backwards?  Or swing backwards when you swing forwards?

Because your motion has to have a beginning and an end, and it is very consistent - when you putt the sensitivity is doubled. It matters not if you swing foward or backward, this is not motion plus, fragnox, it is measuring the force of you action. Perhaps you use the little plastic golf club add on? I do not, I actually ussualy play hanging off of the sofa with my head on the floor, and a bottle of whiskey with arm reach. My best for 9 holes is -5. How about you?

And since when would you need to neuter the game to port it to Gamecube?  Aside from the pointless shooting of star bits (I don't think you ever needed to use them unless you wanted to get coins or get a head start on an enemy), everything could  be put on a GC controller.

Did you get past the tuturial? What about pull stars, what about the bubbles, what about the Mario ball, what about ringing the bell on the tree, what baout snow sweeping, what about the 2 player mode, and aon and on? Asinging these functions to a c-stick would be like cutting the testicles off of your prize bull. (Then he would be a steer, not a bull)

In other words, you have nothing to refute that so you're just going to ignore it?  There are a few solid titles on the Wii.  Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 3, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn...along those lines.

Uh-oh fragnox, you refuted yourself! Of ocurse it comes down to taste, but I will not bore you either with a list of quality wii games, or lists of crappy and uninspuires PS3/PS2/360 games.

If they've got so little replay value then why is it that I've played through Super Metroid 8 times, A Link to the Past 4 times, Metroid Fusion a whopping 28 times?

Good for you.Glad you enjoy them.

Return to “Modern Gaming”