360 is becoming a Wii wanna-be...

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Fragnox

Postby Fragnox » January 2nd, 2009, 9:53 pm

[QUOTE=steer]Because your motion has to have a beginning and an end, and it is very consistent - when you putt the sensitivity is doubled. It matters not if you swing foward or backward, this is not motion plus, fragnox, it is measuring the force of you action. Perhaps you use the little plastic golf club add on? I do not, I actually ussualy play hanging off of the sofa with my head on the floor, and a bottle of whiskey with arm reach. My best for 9 holes is -5. How about you?[/QUOTE]

No, I do not use add-ons.  But all of my friends and I have experienced glitching in the motion sensor.  I don't know what the hell you're talking about with playing, and I don't know why you'd play with a bottle of whiskey at arm's reach, but I don't particularly care.  I would rather play with a reliable system of golf than one that I have to worry about how I swing it or my swing will get wasted/completely messed up.  Not that I really enjoy sports games that much anyways.

And I haven't played Wii Sports in about a year.  I played golf the least of all five sports anyways.  So I don't know what my best is.

[QUOTE]Did you get past the tuturial? What about pull stars, what about the bubbles, what about the Mario ball, what about ringing the bell on the tree, what baout snow sweeping, what about the 2 player mode, and aon and on? Asinging these functions to a c-stick would be like cutting the testicles off of your prize bull. (Then he would be a steer, not a bull)[/QUOTE]

First of all, I beat the entire game as Mario once.  But I found the game to be rather mediocre so perhaps I don't remember really minute details like that single bell on that single tree in whatever level it was, or snow sweeping.  The two-player mode was some fun, but it wasn't necessary and could be eliminated.  Pull stars are the only thing on your list that I recall, and actually think would affect the game (who really gives a crap if you can't ring a bell with motion sensor, honestly).  They could easily be implemented nonetheless.  Maybe using a button to target the first and press another button to start being pulled, then press the aforementioned button to target the next, the other button to pull to it, etc.  Even if that wouldn't work, it's not like it'd be impossible to do unless the developers are braindead.

By the way, if Super Mario Galaxy cannot be the same without motion sensor...well it's not a very good game then, is it?

[QUOTE]Uh-oh fragnox, you refuted yourself! Of ocurse it comes down to taste, but I will not bore you either with a list of quality wii games, or lists of crappy and uninspuires PS3/PS2/360 games.[/QUOTE]

Ahahaha.  You say that as if I'm some sort of Sony/Microsoft fanboy and think their consoles are god.  Not so.  I'm just convinced of the Wii's crappiness, having followed Nintendo blindly for years and years and finally realizing earlier this year that they are catering to anyone who will give them the most money -- which is no longer people like me.

Also, how did I refute myself...?  At all?  Are you aware of the definition of "refute"?

[QUOTE]Good for you.Glad you enjoy them.[/QUOTE]

Not just me.  I know that you think Super Metroid is overrated and simplistic, and Metroid Fusion is meh, but I honestly think the Wii is an absolute piece of crap and I know many who would agree with me on both fronts that aren't Wii Fit moms.

stter

Postby stter » January 2nd, 2009, 10:48 pm

I'm just convinced of the Wii's crappiness, having followed Nintendo blindly for years and years and finally realizing earlier this year that they are catering to anyone who will give them the most money -- which is no longer people like me.

Nintendo is in this to make money??? In the olde days that did not give a damn for making money, gaming was somehow more pure, b ack then...

Dammit, now you shattered my illusions...your right, I need to go somewhere else for my gaming - seeing as how you have been an eye opener for me, not to mention can find ppl who agree with you -  what do you suggest?

I mean I already played those 16 bit games - it would be cool if Nintendo re-released the SNES and I could hold my head up, but maybe that aint likely?

Right now my plan is to hold out for Wii 2, -  compare it unfavorably with the Wii, - and pine for the good ole days....

By the way, you refuted yourself by saying the wii only had shovelware, and then saying it had good games - just for consistency in the future lets just agree it has NO good games, especialy Galaxy, which would be better played with a dualshock, and best played with an SNES controller with rumble incorporated...

Fragnox

Postby Fragnox » January 3rd, 2009, 1:05 am

[QUOTE=stter]Nintendo is in this to make money??? In the olde days that did not give a damn for making money, gaming was somehow more pure, b ack then...

Dammit, now you shattered my illusions...your right, I need to go somewhere else for my gaming - seeing as how you have been an eye opener for me, not to mention can find ppl who agree with you -  what do you suggest?

I mean I already played those 16 bit games - it would be cool if Nintendo re-released the SNES and I could hold my head up, but maybe that aint likely?

Right now my plan is to hold out for Wii 2, -  compare it unfavorably with the Wii, - and pine for the good ole days....[/QUOTE]

Is this supposed to be sarcasm?  You know, my comment wasn't directed at you.  You don't have to have a revelation or change your mind, I was just informing you that I did.  Truthfully, I don't care if you blindly follow the Wii forever.  I don't really give a crap about anything you do.  If you fell off the face of the earth I could hardly care less.

Nintendo always cared about money.  It just didn't become so apparent to me until earlier this year.  And I didn't even start playing Nintendo games until '98.  I only got an SNES earlier this year, and have only very recently purchased an NES.  Also, their games weren't crap until this generation.  I own about 12 games for my Wii, none of which have given me a substantial amount of satisfaction.  Even before I realized how crappy the Wii is I enjoyed my Genesis and SNES more.  Even my Gamecube hasn't disappointed me.  I own 20+ games for it, and I don't think a single one has given me significant disappointment, for all of the bashing the Gamecube gets/got.

Oh, and I don't 'pine' for the "good ole days".  I enjoy past games by physically playing them.  The issue of the present state of gaming is more relevant to me than the fact that the golden age of gaming is over.

[QUOTE]By the way, you refuted yourself by saying the wii only had shovelware, and then saying it had good games - just for consistency in the future lets just agree it has NO good games, especialy Galaxy, which would be better played with a dualshock, and best played with an SNES controller with rumble incorporated..[/QUOTE]

You do a LOT of interpreting things for yourself.  And when people make large assumptions about how nostalgically stupid I am, it really pisses me off.  Apparently, liking old games and consoles makes me completely nostalgic and blind in your eyes.

First of all, I see no problem with a Gamecube controller being used for Galaxy.  I never said it would be better, I just didn't think it would be this horrible conundrum like you projected.  Second of all, I said the Wii was MADE OF shovelware.  Which meant that it has little else, the vast majority of its library is shovelware.  I'm not completely incompetent to the point that I'd say the Wii has nothing besides shovelware and then list off some solid, non-shovelware titles, despite the fact that you seem to think I am.

feilong801

Postby feilong801 » January 3rd, 2009, 1:15 am

Fragnox, you are being ridiculous. Let me just call a spade a spade. You calling out Super Mario Galaxy as "mediocre" proves you are only here to troll and stir stuff up. Fortunately for you, I sort of like debunking your type here, so I guess you came to the right place.

First, let me point out that you have no credibility since you, by your own admission, have "followed Nintendo blindly for years," having only just now seen the light! Since nobody here has been "following Nintendo blindly for years," I would think we are in a bit of a better position to make judgements on Wii. And your realization that Nintendo is out to make money sent megatons of shock through these forums. Sony and Microsoft on the other hand, must not be so interested.

But going on, you say if Galaxy isn't a good game without the sensor, than it must not be a good game. That is dumb. That is like saying that if Time Crisis can't be good without a light gun peripheral, than its a bad game. You design for the tools you have. Galaxy is a platformer but it is seasoned, extremely well I might add, with clever motion control bits.

There are more than "just a few" good games on Wii. Just go to metacritic, everthing in between 70-100 is worth giving a try. Make no mistake, the machine is built on the idea of easier access to gaming, and its core experiences tend to be replayed over and over again, whereas the other systems relie on regularly released blockbuster games.

If anyone is bored with Wii, it is because they aren't trying hard enough. Played De Blob yet? Played Zak and Wiki? Played any of the Rayman's? Played FIFA, which is supposed to be amazing on Wii? What about Medal of Honor Heroes 2? The Trauma Center games? Order Up? Opoona? Dawn of the New World?

And seriously, Metroid Fusion 28 times? And I thought replaying Phoenix Wright TWO times was extreme. Sounds like you need to try some new games, friend.

-Rob

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » January 3rd, 2009, 5:52 am

[QUOTE=Fragnox][QUOTE=steer]Because your motion has to have a beginning and an end, and it is very consistent - when you putt the sensitivity is doubled. It matters not if you swing foward or backward, this is not motion plus, fragnox, it is measuring the force of you action. Perhaps you use the little plastic golf club add on? I do not, I actually ussualy play hanging off of the sofa with my head on the floor, and a bottle of whiskey with arm reach. My best for 9 holes is -5. How about you?[/QUOTE]

No, I do not use add-ons.  But all of my friends and I have experienced glitching in the motion sensor.  I don't know what the hell you're talking about with playing, and I don't know why you'd play with a bottle of whiskey at arm's reach, but I don't particularly care.  I would rather play with a reliable system of golf than one that I have to worry about how I swing it or my swing will get wasted/completely messed up.  Not that I really enjoy sports games that much anyways.

And I haven't played Wii Sports in about a year.  I played golf the least of all five sports anyways.  So I don't know what my best is.

[QUOTE]Did you get past the tuturial? What about pull stars, what about the bubbles, what about the Mario ball, what about ringing the bell on the tree, what baout snow sweeping, what about the 2 player mode, and aon and on? Asinging these functions to a c-stick would be like cutting the testicles off of your prize bull. (Then he would be a steer, not a bull)[/QUOTE]

First of all, I beat the entire game as Mario once.  But I found the game to be rather mediocre so perhaps I don't remember really minute details like that single bell on that single tree in whatever level it was, or snow sweeping.  The two-player mode was some fun, but it wasn't necessary and could be eliminated.  Pull stars are the only thing on your list that I recall, and actually think would affect the game (who really gives a crap if you can't ring a bell with motion sensor, honestly).  They could easily be implemented nonetheless.  Maybe using a button to target the first and press another button to start being pulled, then press the aforementioned button to target the next, the other button to pull to it, etc.  Even if that wouldn't work, it's not like it'd be impossible to do unless the developers are braindead.

By the way, if Super Mario Galaxy cannot be the same without motion sensor...well it's not a very good game then, is it?

[QUOTE]Uh-oh fragnox, you refuted yourself! Of ocurse it comes down to taste, but I will not bore you either with a list of quality wii games, or lists of crappy and uninspuires PS3/PS2/360 games.[/QUOTE]

Ahahaha.  You say that as if I'm some sort of Sony/Microsoft fanboy and think their consoles are god.  Not so.  I'm just convinced of the Wii's crappiness, having followed Nintendo blindly for years and years and finally realizing earlier this year that they are catering to anyone who will give them the most money -- which is no longer people like me.

Also, how did I refute myself...?  At all?  Are you aware of the definition of "refute"?

[QUOTE]Good for you.Glad you enjoy them.[/QUOTE]

Not just me.  I know that you think Super Metroid is overrated and simplistic, and Metroid Fusion is meh, but I honestly think the Wii is an absolute piece of crap and I know many who would agree with me on both fronts that aren't Wii Fit moms.
[/QUOTE]

<yaaaawn>

wur1

Postby wur1 » January 3rd, 2009, 11:53 am

To be honest, you could probably back-port Galaxy to the Gamecube, with very little lost in translation. A think a lot of the Wii's appeal involves projecting one's own desires onto it. Remember when you discovered small wrist flicks in almost any direction would hit the ball in Wii Sports Tennis? Everyone did these swooping realistic maneuvers at first, thinking that they played some influence on the game. Remember when you aimed the Wii-mote at the screen in Metroid Prime 3 like a gun.... and then realized that you could just rest it on your thigh, and it turned out the Wii-mote didn't actually detect the screen, just its direction in relation with the sensor bar?

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » January 3rd, 2009, 1:20 pm

[QUOTE=wur]To be honest, you could probably back-port Galaxy to the Gamecube, with very little lost in translation. A think a lot of the Wii's appeal involves projecting one's own desires onto it. Remember when you discovered small wrist flicks in almost any direction would hit the ball in Wii Sports Tennis? Everyone did these swooping realistic maneuvers at first, thinking that they played some influence on the game. Remember when you aimed the Wii-mote at the screen in Metroid Prime 3 like a gun.... and then realized that you could just rest it on your thigh, and it turned out the Wii-mote didn't actually detect the screen, just its direction in relation with the sensor bar?[/QUOTE]

You aimed it like a gun even though there is a crosshair on the screen?  You might be alone there, buddy.  The only time I have aimed it like a gun is on House of the Dead 2 and 3 when I calibrated the crosshair and then turned it off.

Fragnox

Postby Fragnox » January 3rd, 2009, 4:09 pm

[QUOTE=feilong80]Fragnox, you are being ridiculous. Let me just call a spade a spade. You calling out Super Mario Galaxy as "mediocre" proves you are only here to troll and stir stuff up. Fortunately for you, I sort of like debunking your type here, so I guess you came to the right place.[/QUOTE]

Oh, are you SERIOUS?  I'm a troll just because I don't like Super Mario Galaxy?  Are you KIDDING me?  I'm sorry, next time I'll change my opinion on the game to suit everyone else's whims.

You know, I love Super Metroid but if someone doesn't like it I won't insist they're a troll.  Are you SO BLINDED that you cannot accept another opinion?  Think what you want.  I found the game to be easy, boring, and repetitive.  I would give you an in-depth review so you're not convinced I'm a troll, but your opinion doesn't really matter to me and you'd just pick it apart to prove I'm wrong.  IT'S AN OPINION.  Are you familiar with those?  Clearly not opposing ones.

[QUOTE]First, let me point out that you have no credibility since you, by your own admission, have "followed Nintendo blindly for years," having only just now seen the light! Since nobody here has been "following Nintendo blindly for years," I would think we are in a bit of a better position to make judgements on Wii. And your realization that Nintendo is out to make money sent megatons of shock through these forums. Sony and Microsoft on the other hand, must not be so interested.[/QUOTE]

What?  That doesn't make any sense!  I was a Nintendo fanboy.  Yes.  So because I was a Nintendo fanboy but am not anymore, I'm not fit to make my own decisions?  What, do I belong in a psychiatric hospital now?

I never said Sony and Microsoft aren't in it to make money.  You are very good at putting words and opinions in people's mouths and minds.  Sony and Microsoft just haven't completely ditched the fans that they had for years.  I vehemently defended Nintendo throughout the Gamecube era, even though practically everyone I knew was attacking it.  And then when the Wii came around, I was STILL vehemently defending them.  Until I realized that most of the games on the Wii are crap.

[QUOTE]But going on, you say if Galaxy isn't a good game without the sensor, than it must not be a good game. That is dumb. That is like saying that if Time Crisis can't be good without a light gun peripheral, than its a bad game. You design for the tools you have. Galaxy is a platformer but it is seasoned, extremely well I might add, with clever motion control bits.[/QUOTE]

No, not at all.  Galaxy does not FOCUS on motion sensor.  I wouldn't argue that a game has to be good without motion sensor or it's not a good game, but SMG is a platformer.  Of anything I found enjoyable in the game, it wasn't pull stars or other little motion sensor bits.  But this is pointless, since you're going to dismiss my arguments as false and stupid since I'm just a troll for thinking Galaxy was mediocre (you do know mediocre means average, correct?  Just before you continue hating me for calling it mediocre, I want to make sure you're not misunderstandning me.)

[QUOTE]There are more than "just a few" good games on Wii. Just go to metacritic, everthing in between 70-100 is worth giving a try. Make no mistake, the machine is built on the idea of easier access to gaming, and its core experiences tend to be replayed over and over again, whereas the other systems relie on regularly released blockbuster games.[/QUOTE]

Easy-to-access gaming generally means stick wagglers.  Keep in mind that "good" is subjective.  Not factual.  Also, I don't listen to other people's reviews as fact.  Everyone has a different opinion (even though it appears you think there's something wrong with disagreement to an extent).

I've found very little replayability in the Wii.  So I'm not sure what you're talking about there.

[QUOTE]If anyone is bored with Wii, it is because they aren't trying hard enough. Played De Blob yet? Played Zak and Wiki? Played any of the Rayman's? Played FIFA, which is supposed to be amazing on Wii? What about Medal of Honor Heroes 2? The Trauma Center games? Order Up? Opoona? Dawn of the New World?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]And seriously, Metroid Fusion 28 times? And I thought replaying Phoenix Wright TWO times was extreme. Sounds like you need to try some new games, friend.[/QUOTE]

First I'm not trying hard enough to be interested in something, and now I need new games because I've played a game too many times?  If you think replaying a game ONCE is extreme, you're nuts, stupid, and probably rich to be able to afford playing a game once and moving onto a new one.  Replay value is something good.  I have plenty of new games, and a rather large game collection in general.  I just enjoyed Metroid Fusion a lot.  And I've had it for years now.

Also, is the concept of speed/minimal % running foreign to you...?  If it is, check out speeddemosarchive or metroid2002.  Or don't.  Just understand that it's not even just replaying a game over and over again the same way.  After 1% running Metroid Fusion, I give props to anyone who completes one.  They're pretty difficult.

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » January 3rd, 2009, 6:27 pm

[QUOTE=feilong80]
There are more than "just a few" good games on Wii. Just go to metacritic, everthing in between 70-100 is worth giving a try. Make no mistake, the machine is built on the idea of easier access to gaming, and its core experiences tend to be replayed over and over again, whereas the other systems relie on regularly released blockbuster games.

If anyone is bored with Wii, it is because they aren't trying hard enough. Played De Blob yet? Played Zak and Wiki? Played any of the Rayman's? Played FIFA, which is supposed to be amazing on Wii? What about Medal of Honor Heroes 2? The Trauma Center games? Order Up? Opoona? Dawn of the New World?

-Rob[/QUOTE]

Rob, I went to metacritic's site.  Did you know you can sort numerically?  The Wii as a percentage contains the greatest amount of shovelware of the 4 consoles.

Ratings      Count       % of Total
PS3     90+              9               3%   
           70+            162             60%
           50-              16              6%
           Total           269

Wii     90+                7                2%
         70+              115             35%
         50-                65              20%
         Total             331

360    90+               17              3%
          70+              274             51%
          50-                55             10%
          Total             539

PS2    90+                63             4%
          70+                782            49%
          50-                141             9%
          Total             1591

I didn't bother getting counts for all of the ranges but as you can tell the Wii has a disproportionate amount of shovelware compared to all four consoles.  It's twice as high as both the 360 and PS2.  Not so surprisingly, the PS3 has the lowest amount of shovelware.  What is surprising though is that the PS3 has the highest percentage of 'good-to-average' games compared to the other three consoles.

You're welcome to spin the numbers however you like; however, the numbers do indicate why there is such a huge perception issue that the Wii contains only nothing but shovelware.  Obviously, that's not the case but the numbers certainly indicate that when one out of every five games for the Wii has a rating of under 50 pts.

steer

Postby steer » January 3rd, 2009, 7:30 pm

Act raiser, no offense, but I find your stats to be very very funny.

Here are the problems :

According to you list the wii has 331 games released and 65 rank under 50%

So that means 280 are worth buying, or at least competent? You could give me a million dollars to-morrow and there aint no way I could find 280 games that are worth buying on the wii, to say nothing of 280 games that are worth buying for all 3 consoles, or maybe even 280 games that I would like to own in the history of gaming!!!!! (If anything, I would take that million and start buying old arcade cabinets, just for the hell of it)

So who cares, average scores for consoles are MEANINGLESS!!!! That list give absolutely no indication of the fun or value ANY of the consoles provide.
Why dont you give us some stats on exclusive bestselling software? Give me a list of all the games in the last 5 years that sold over 5 million, huge hits, and I bet the majority of them are Nintendo.

Forget that list and forget metacritic - everybody and their dog knows Nintendo games drive Nintendo consoles, and even ppl who cant hardly stand Nintendo will buy a Nintendo console for even a handful of games they cant find anywhere else. - unlike MS -  many of their games could be played by me on my anti-custom built walmart pc gaming rig - if I would care to buy them, which I don't!

Nintendo gives their own console idenity, they sure dont have to rely on 3rd party devs, (who are apparently too scared to step in the ring against ninty with their a-list devs) to give them their killer apps (ala sony, its true, dont blame me!) But alas, look at what ignoring Nintendo has left them : between a rock and a hard place, leave prima wii pasture to Nintendo, or actually try to get a piece of wii action! Either way, Nintendo wins. I could care less, that just me, will be fun to watch....

Call it fanboyism if you wish, it is the truth. Difference between me and a lot of ppl is I aint afraid to say it, I dont apologise for it, and I do not have to 'prove' myself a lover of all gaming, with all of its virtues!

Return to “Modern Gaming”