Lets Tap (SEGA sunsidary) review : Also, what do you think of SEGA on Wii?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
steer

Postby steer » January 5th, 2009, 9:22 pm

SEGA has been a boon to wii, I think, and vice versa. Interesting how SEGA and Nintendo are so close now a days

SEGA is set to have a big year on Wii : They are publishing a lot of games that are getting big buzz, saw these in NP :

The Condouit - I am out of the FPS genre, pretty much, and this looks too much like Perfect Dark for me to get excited. However, it has a lot of hype behind it.

Mad World - this is basicly a game version of the 'Running Man' movie concept? I am not interested in it, to say the least, but again, mucho hype.

New House of Dead : a new one to join the wimote converted rereleases.

THis is the one I am interested in, Let's Tap :

http://darkzero.co.uk/game-reviews/lets-tap-wii/

This is a good little import review, and I know this game will be hit or miss, even for me, but if the price is right, I will jump in. I love the art styles and the concepts.

I think SEGA is on the rebound, they get a lot of heat over their new Sonics, but someone is buying them! Also Olympic games was a huge hit, and I have to believe they are #2 on the VC feed lot.

Good for them.

Cheesy

Postby Cheesy » January 5th, 2009, 10:19 pm

Sega's publishing The Conduit? Since when?

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » January 5th, 2009, 11:52 pm

[QUOTE=Cheesy]

Sega's publishing The Conduit? Since when?

[/QUOTE]

According to Gamespot, they are the publisher.

Fragnox

Postby Fragnox » January 6th, 2009, 12:46 am

[QUOTE=steer]
THis is the one I am interested in, Let's Tap :
http://darkzero.co.uk/game-reviews/lets-tap-wii/

This is a good little import review, and I know this game will be hit or miss, even for me, but if the price is right, I will jump in. I love the art styles and the concepts.[/QUOTE]

Heh, at first I thought it was a tap dancing game using the balance board, and was about to facepalm at it.  But that actually seems like an interesting idea.  Simple, but interesting.  Perhaps if there's more substance to it than it looks, it'll be really good.  I agree with you, if it's cheap enough I'll give it a shot.

[QUOTE]I think SEGA is on the rebound, they get a lot of heat over their new Sonics, but someone is buying them! Also Olympic games was a huge hit, and I have to believe they are #2 on the VC feed lot.[/QUOTE]

Just because someone's buying the Sonic games, though, doesn't mean they're good.  As a long-time Sonic fan myself, I will say I've been duped more than once into buying a game in hopes it will revive Sonic (why I still have any faith, I don't know).

Olympic Games...meh.  It was interesting and all but it was basically a minigame collection that bored me out rather quickly.  But I know that I and a lot of others got the game just for the Mario vs. Sonic thing (even though Brawl, for all its flaws, is better for that anyways).

Sega...I don't know.  They're doing a little better, and Unleashed was actually decent; if they hadn't been stupid enough to throw in the Werehog part and had just stuck with the daytime stages, which are a blast, they could've actually gotten good reviews on a Sonic game for once.  They even put it out KNOWING that fans wouldn't enjoy the Werehog stages.  I don't understand that at all.

And yes, the Conduit is being published by Sega.  It was rumored to be published by Nintendo before Cammie (ugh, I hate her) admitted that she slipped up and meant to say "first-person", not "first party".

steer

Postby steer » January 6th, 2009, 8:29 am

Sega...I don't know.  They're doing a little better, and Unleashed was actually decent;

You dont, know? Dont be silly - it is clear you love SEGA more than you know.

Afterall, your impressions of Unleashed are WAY better than your impressions of Galaxy.

Galaxy was a very high rated game, and won a handful of GOTY awards last year, you think it is pitiful and gimicky, the flagship title for the new money hungry -at the expense of quality - Nintendo. So, in your mind at least, the Sonic offerings on Wii are far superior to the Mario offering - SEGA has the definitive platformer on a Nintendo platform, which, historicaly, would be quite an acomplishment.

ajsmart1

Postby ajsmart1 » January 6th, 2009, 12:03 pm

[QUOTE=steer]

Sega...I don't know.  They're doing a little better, and Unleashed was actually decent;

Afterall, your impressions of Unleashed are WAY better than your impressions of Galaxy.

Galaxy was a very high rated game, and won a handful of GOTY awards last year, you think it is pitiful and gimicky, the flagship title for the new money hungry -at the expense of quality - Nintendo. So, in your mind at least, the Sonic offerings on Wii are far superior to the Mario offering - SEGA has the definitive platformer on a Nintendo platform, which, historicaly, would be quite an acomplishment.

[/QUOTE]

Is this fight going to get dragged into every thread?

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » January 6th, 2009, 1:00 pm

[QUOTE=steer]

[/QUOTE]

And you wonder why people decide to slam you or take up in defense of others that you correspond with. 

Tactful -
Adj.1.tactful - having or showing a sense of what is fitting and considerate in dealing with others; "she was tactful enough not to shatter his illusion"; "a tactful remark eased her embarrassment"
considerate - showing concern for the rights and feelings of others; "friends considerate enough to leave us alone"
tactless, untactful - lacking or showing a lack of what is fitting and considerate in dealing with others; "in the circumstances it was tactless to ask her age"

2.tactful - showing skill and sensitivity in dealing with people; "by diplomatic conduct he avoided antagonizing anyone"; "a tactful way of correcting someone"; "the agency got the kid-glove treatment on Capitol Hill"
diplomatical, diplomatic - using or marked by tact in dealing with sensitive matters or people; "the hostess averted a confrontation with a diplomatic chenage of subject"

steer

Postby steer » January 6th, 2009, 2:51 pm

Oh, relaz, I am just trying to see what the tier is for platformers today.

And what is and is not considered a cash in.

Fragnox.

Postby Fragnox. » January 6th, 2009, 7:35 pm

[QUOTE=steer]You dont, know? Dont be silly - it is clear you love SEGA more than you know.[/QUOTE]

What on Earth are you talking about?  I'm almost as ticked at Sega as I am at Nintendo, it's just more that they're idiots and can't listen to fans about Sonic when they've been complaining for YEARS now.

[QUOTE]Afterall, your impressions of Unleashed are WAY better than your impressions of Galaxy.[/QUOTE]

Yes, you're right.  I like Unleashed more than Galaxy, so I've GOT to be a Sega fanboy.

Do you listen to yourself?  At all?

[QUOTE]Galaxy was a very high rated game, and won a handful of GOTY awards last year, you think it is pitiful and gimicky, the flagship title for the new money hungry -at the expense of quality - Nintendo. So, in your mind at least, the Sonic offerings on Wii are far superior to the Mario offering - SEGA has the definitive platformer on a Nintendo platform, which, historicaly, would be quite an acomplishment.[/QUOTE]

You put a lot of words in my mouth for such a small paragraph.

I never said "pitiful" or "gimmicky".  I said I found it to be MEDIOCRE.  Average.  Okay, but not great.  The words pitiful and gimmicky were not typed.  Mario Galaxy is, in fact, one of the few titles on the Wii that doesn't feel gimmicky.  I still didn't enjoy it.
Also, don't throw GOTY awards at me.  I don't give a crap what other people think about games, because I'm not a robot and have an opinion of my own.

Hell, you don't even know the background here.  I haven't played the full game, or even the game on the WII.  I just played the demo from Xbox Live.  It's a single daytime level.  It's fast-paced and very fun.  But the nighttime levels are supposed to be the Achilles' heel of the game, so I'm obviously not passing final judgment until I rent the game (yes, I'm only renting it; because it is supposed to be only decent, rather short, and I've wasted too much money on bad Sonic games).  Also, I hated Sonic and the Secret Rings so if you're under the impression that I'm saying Sonic's so much better than Mario on the Wii, I'm not.

And yes, it would be an historical accomplishment if...you know, it were objectively decided that way, or agreed upon by most reviewers.  But since that is NOT the case at ALL, it doesn't matter.  Am I no longer allowed to have my opinions?

Seriously.  Stop going off-topic just to attack me.  Don't be so petty.
And you wonder why people aren't defending you for defending the Wii and Nintendo.

[QUOTE=ajsmart]Is this fight going to get dragged into every thread?[/QUOTE]

*Sigh* Apparently.

Michael D

Postby Michael D » January 6th, 2009, 7:41 pm

Sega on the rebound? Sega being a boon to the Wii and vice-versa? I'm not sure about either of those.

First of all, has there been any top selling Sega games on the Wii?  Yes, but it was Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games, which I'll submit to you sold more because of the fact that Mario was in it more than either Sonic's presence or the game's quality (not that the game was bad, because it was pretty decent).  Other than that, with the possible exception of Sonic and the Secret Rings (at least for the first few months), I'm not seeing people buying their other games, like House of the Dead 2 and 3 Return, Ghost Squad, Sega Bass Fishing, Nights: Journey of Dreams, or Samba De Amigo (which has already seen its price slashed to $20).  As such, it would seem that aside from perhaps picking up the hardcore gamer slack for Nintendo and offering alternatives to the cookie cutter garbage that comes out for the system each week, they certainly aren't giving Nintendo the one thing that, sadly, truly matters in the industry today; top selling games.  

Yes, Sega has a group of interesting buzz-worthy games coming out this year, but they also did in 2002, with games like Jet Set Radio Future, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Crazy Taxi 3, Shenmue 2, Gun Valkyrie, and Toejam and Earl 3, to name a few.  And what happened? Almost every single one bombed, except for Virtua Fighter 4 and anything with Sonic in it.  And that's basically what's happened for them every year (regardless of the system) since the Dreamcast died, so where's the indication that this year will be different?  

Don't get me wrong; I really want Sega to reclaim the software success that they once had, but until they convince gamers that they've truly turned things around (something they've said many times before), I'm not sure that it will happen.

Return to “Modern Gaming”