Little Big Planet for the PS3: any thoughts?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
gleebergloben1

Postby gleebergloben1 » January 9th, 2009, 11:31 am

I was in Gamestop the other day, and saw a demo of Little Big Planet, which blew my mind. The graphics looked unbelievable, and the ability to build your own world looked very appealing. I don't have the game or the system, but Little Big Planet, to me, seems to be a system seller.

I'd love to hear any comments from those of you who have the game.

JasonhasRSI1

Postby JasonhasRSI1 » January 9th, 2009, 11:42 am

People looking for a rock-solid, fun, next-gen platformer will be sorely disappointed. Everything just feels "off" - the physics, the jumping, the interaction with objects in the environment - it really ruined the experience for me.

If you are huge into level design and/or playing around with some interesting user-created content, it's worth a rental. In my eyes, however, even the "best" created levels are no fun to play, given the problems I just mentioned.

MappyMousePD

Postby MappyMousePD » January 9th, 2009, 1:07 pm

The jumping is what turned me off.  It's strange they could nail the graphics and community features, but get something so basic as platforming controls so wrong. 

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » January 9th, 2009, 1:09 pm

I love it!  My girlfriend got me this for Christmas and we had an absolute blast playing it together.  They physics are a little floaty, but it only takes a few minutes to adjust to.  Neither of us had any complaints in the control department.

The game is meant to be played with people.  I can only imagine it being just ok as a single player experience.  The first time I booted it up with my girlfriend we seriously just laughed and smiled for a solid 2 hours straight.  Its a whimsical little world to explore, there is no crazy story to follow...just excellent levels to explore.

I haven't even touched the level editior stuff yet and would already consider it a great purchase.  With tons of downloadable content coming on an almost weekly basis, I can see this keeping me occupied for YEARS!  Anybody with a PS3 needs to at least give this game a try.

feilong801

Postby feilong801 » January 9th, 2009, 2:05 pm

Hmm, can't say I agree with the above posters. Yes, it has a different feel than a typical platformer. Sort of like a Prince of Persia type "fluid" feel, instead of the "digital" feel of Mario, Sonic, etc. So while not a classic platformer, I didn't hold that against it.

What it is, though, is an innovative, exciting take on 2D platform gaming. It combines some cool new ideas with physics, switches, vehicles, and traps. Almost nothing in the game is "nailed down," and hence you can interact with almost everything in the environment.

It is great fun! It is one of the best games released for any system in 2009, and while I suppose it might take some getting used to if you are expecting a classic platformer, I think it is a great, not just good game if taken on its own merits.

And oh yeah, the user made levels are very enjoyable. My favorite so far is the Mirror's Edge level.

-Rob

Return to “Modern Gaming”