What if Sony had released the Wii?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » January 14th, 2009, 2:32 am

This thought just crossed my mind earlier today, and I actually find it to be an intriguing question.  Would their strength in the market (at the time) have made it even more of a success?  Would they have fared about the same as Nintendo has, or would they maybe have been hammered a bit for releasing a technologically inferior system?  Just wondering what people's thoughts are, because I couldn't really come to a logical conclusion...

BanjoPickles1

Postby BanjoPickles1 » January 14th, 2009, 4:22 am

Interesting question, really. I'll take a shot:

I think Sony would have botched it, really. Sony is a company that likes to be on the cutting-edge, tech wise and a great many of their fans expect nothing less than that. I'll try to paint a what-if scenario to match yours:

Sony announced the Sony Triad(an alternate name in an alternate universe), the very first mainstream system with motion sensing controls. They promise that the evolution of gaming will not only come from bleeding edge technology but also from interface technology as well. The Triad promises full-immersion, blu ray capabilities, full backwards compatibility, etc. As a demonstration, Phil Harrison takes the stage to demonstrate the Tri-mote by playing a demo of Soul Caliber IV. Fans look baffled and immediately flood internet message boards with vitriol. What is even more shocking is the price, though! $600 U.S. dollars nets you the system, one tri-mote, an analog whip(sorry, I couldn't come up with a name for that), and what is sure to be the only pack-in game of this generation: Warhawk.

With all due respect to all of the Sony fans that frequent this site(and forgive me if I'm mistaken), but had Sony released it it would still probably be met with the same amount of disgust that a great many of them have shown the Wii. Well, maybe not disgust but certainly indifference. Would it have been as successful as the Wii? Probably not. Nintendo tapped into a golden vein with the Wii series(Sports, Fit, etc.) and with that, they were able to also provide long time fans with great updates to several of their most revered franchises. Hardcore Nintendo fans have always been hardcore Nintendo fans(though they have certainly lost many over the years, but who hasn't?). I have met so many former Sony fanatics that switched over to 360 without blinking an eye. I'm not necessarily sure that Sony's fanbase is loyal enough to stand for that sort of radical shift. You're talking about a company that has released the same controller thrice, and that's how most of their fanbase probably prefer it. It's not a knock, it's just what I think to be the truth.

Sony's success in the market, with the ps1 and ps2, would have had little impact if they went in with the same arrogance they displayed when unveiling the ps3. This generation, Sony has competition on two different fronts! Sony's arrogance cost them in the same way that Nintendo's cost them back in 96.

kev

Postby kev » January 14th, 2009, 7:11 am

They would have had more manufacturing resources and been able to keep up with the demand better, and made a lot more money off of it, while getting it into more homes.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » January 14th, 2009, 8:50 am

It would have flopped, hard.

Sony fans for two generations have been total technophiles, and would have felt betrayed, and would have gotten 360s. 

Sony's biggest flaw right now is that they have lost touch with their "market cool" and couldn't sell water in a desert at this point.  Even hardcore Sony fans point out how amazing it is the PSP sold any systems at all for its first two years or so, given the horrible marketing.  Then, with the PS3, much of Sony's marketing has been a complete mess.  Trying to entice casual gamers when they can't even sell their products to their own fans doesn't seem like a recipe for success.  Instead of the "Wii would like to play" guys, we'd probably have had some Zombie Nazi eating puppies or something. 

Funkmaster V

Postby Funkmaster V » January 14th, 2009, 10:01 am

I would have had to purchase two Wiis by now... on my way to three.

kev

Postby kev » January 14th, 2009, 10:22 am

I wouldn't say sony was relying on technology last generation. Sure, when the ps2 came out it had better graphics than the dreamcast, but xbox and gamecube games both looked better than ps2 games. What kept ps2 on top was the huge number of exclusive titles, and what got them the exclusive titles was the huge market share they had from being on top. This generation they have neither.

TheBawwRadar (NixonTech)

Postby TheBawwRadar (NixonTech) » January 14th, 2009, 4:33 pm

Well, if it was to be the exact size of the wii nintendo would've made, and have all that technology packed in, Sony had to have stumbled upon a new achievement. Smallest system with best graphics. But theres only one problem, since sony has so much with other media now, games would have been just as scarce as the PS3, and if there are all those bad games, there would be no purpose on the subject.

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » January 14th, 2009, 10:09 pm

Actually, I probably would have at least been more open to the PS3 as a gaming platform.  I guess it comes down to whether Sony actually released the Wii as it's available today or whether they just added the controller like functionality to the existing PS3.

For the cheaper made Wii, aka, a PS2+ version they'd have totally dominated the market even more so than Nintendo currently does.  Heck, the PS2 still sells like crazy.

As a Blu-ray playing console with the new controller then the system turns into this generation's Dreamcast with lots of great games with something unique about them.  The barrier to entry to the BD cost will cut down the shovelware. 

snakeboy1

Postby snakeboy1 » January 14th, 2009, 10:17 pm

This is a pretty interesting question. I'm sure that the name "Nintendo" has had at least a little to do with the Wii's success in selling it to non-gamers and gamers who have rarely touched a video game since the 80's.

But I suppose Sony could have had success releasing a Wii-type system, as long as they made a game that was as fun and accessible as Wii Sports.

JasonhasRSI1

Postby JasonhasRSI1 » January 14th, 2009, 10:19 pm

[QUOTE=TheBawwRadar (NixonTech)]

Well, if it was to be the exact size of the wii nintendo would've made, and have all that technology packed in, Sony had to have stumbled upon a new achievement. Smallest system with best graphics. But theres only one problem, since sony has so much with other media now, games would have been just as scarce as the PS3, and if there are all those bad games, there would be no purpose on the subject.

[/QUOTE]

?????

Return to “Modern Gaming”