VGC has 360

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Anayo1

VGC has 360

Postby Anayo1 » March 11th, 2006, 2:51 pm

I'm just waiting for some 360 reviews... it'll be interesting to read what the critic has to say.

Atarifever1

VGC has 360

Postby Atarifever1 » March 11th, 2006, 2:57 pm

[QUOTE=wur]

[QUOTE=Atarifever]Hey Critic,
  during the course of your reviewing could you do me a favour if it isn't too hard?  Could you hook one of the games up to a standard TV and tell me if it still feels next gen?  I really want a 360 (and there are a ton to be had around here), but have no interest in a HDTV yet.  I keep wondering if it will be worth it with just a normal TV.  If it's too much trouble, never mind.

[/QUOTE]

Just curious Atarifever, but are Canadians reacting the same way to the 360 as the Japanese? (Utter disinterest?)

BTW, are you from BC or Vancouver bychance?  (I'm a grad student at the university in Bellingham, which is right on the border by Vancouver.)

[/QUOTE]
Game tastes are pretty similar.  However, I have noticed a total lack of TV spots for the 360 since the start of Decebmber.  I don't know if that's what it's like everywhere, but I've seen far more Gamecube and PS2 commercials than those for the 360.  There are a lot around here to be had, but I can only speak for here in Newfoundland (or newFINland as Larry King says it). 

Atarifever1

VGC has 360

Postby Atarifever1 » March 11th, 2006, 2:59 pm

[QUOTE=Shazapp][QUOTE=Atarifever]Hey Critic,
  during the course of your reviewing could you do me a favour if it isn't too hard?  Could you hook one of the games up to a standard TV and tell me if it still feels next gen?  I really want a 360 (and there are a ton to be had around here), but have no interest in a HDTV yet.  I keep wondering if it will be worth it with just a normal TV.  If it's too much trouble, never mind.[/QUOTE]

Hey, Atarifever,

I have a 360 on a standard TV.  (I've had an Xbox since launch, so I feel that I can compare the two pretty accurately.)

The 360 looks A LOT better than the original Xbox.  I've got four games for it (King Kong, Call of Duty 2, Madden NFL 06 and Condemned.)  Those that don't feel it's much of an upgrade are probably looking for something comparable to the leap from the PSOne to the PS2.  It's not THAT big of a leap, but when you go from playing Call of Duty 2 back to playing something like Republic Commando on the Xbox, there's a noticeable difference in the graphics and overall feel.

That's my two cents...but your mileage may vary. 

[/QUOTE]
As long as it's noticable.  The way you're putting it makes me think of the difference between DVD and VHS.  I thought the difference was generally small at first, but now I can't stand watching stuff on tape as I've been spoiled by clearer non-jittery picture for so long. 

Shazapp

VGC has 360

Postby Shazapp » March 12th, 2006, 2:19 pm

[QUOTE=Atarifever]As long as it's noticable.  The way you're putting it makes me think of the difference between DVD and VHS.  I thought the difference was generally small at first, but now I can't stand watching stuff on tape as I've been spoiled by clearer non-jittery picture for so long.[/QUOTE]

That's actually a very good way to put it.  Things on the 360 seem much sharper.  Textures in the games are much better.  Animated characters tend to have more detail. 

Again, all of this stuff depends on the game you're looking at more than the system itself.  A game like GUN, which is a straight port, might seem like a good way to compare the difference between systems since its available on the old Xbox and the 360 but if the developer didn't bother to take advantage of the system's power, the game will look largely the same on both systems...as GUN does.

xox

VGC has 360

Postby xox » March 13th, 2006, 6:54 pm

Ghost Recon has some amazing graphics,the way the city is rendered.

Return to “Modern Gaming”