House of the Dead Overkill First Impressions

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 11th, 2009, 8:33 pm

Well I've only played the first chapter, but there's a lot to like about this mature Wii title.  The B-movie style is genuinely funny, just as long as hearing constant F-bombs doesn't bother you.  The gameplay is classic HotD all the way. 

The graphics aren't so hot, and what's the deal with the frame rate?  It seems like the action stutters (slight freeze of the action) pretty frequently.  I know the game is designed to look like an old movie, but I don't think this was intentional.  Has anybody else noticed this problem?

snakeboy1

Postby snakeboy1 » February 12th, 2009, 12:02 am

I haven't played the game yet, but I've read two reviews that both mention the stuttering frame rate. One made it sound unintentional, but said it didn't have a negative effect on the gameplay. The other said it was intentional; it's supposed to be like a projector reel slowing down and then speeding up. I have a feeling that it is unintentional, but the developers tried to make it seem as though they intentionally incorporated it into the game.

Well, whatever the reason for it, it sounds pretty annoying.

Verm1

Postby Verm1 » February 12th, 2009, 8:56 am

It seems alot of games for all the current gen consoles have frame rate stutters and slowdown, so unless it's really bad with this game (i.e like the later stages of Warriors Orochi2), I probably wouldn't dock anything for it when the review comes (I will admit that I probably wouldn't even dock Orochi2).

BanjoPickles1

Postby BanjoPickles1 » February 13th, 2009, 2:31 pm

Having played the game almost entirely through, I can say that making it intentional would have made absolutely no sense! Why would the developers shoot for authenticity, at the expense of fun? The game is great, in my opinion, but sometimes the stuttering gets a bit obnoxious. It doesn't make the game unplayable, not at all, but it's frequent enough that anybody playing WILL take notice.

Guy

Postby Guy » February 13th, 2009, 6:05 pm

IGN gave the game a 8 out of 10.  I didn't have the time to read their 2 page review.  I will wait for your shorter, but more accurate review later.

Cheesy

Postby Cheesy » February 13th, 2009, 9:37 pm

I think that Sega is starting to get their game back. Lot's of good games coming out by them this year, like the Conduit, MadWorld, this, Let's Tap, Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection, and Poles Big Adventure, a retro style WiiWare title already available in Japan (an American version has not been anounced yet.) But all these sound really exciting! Sonic and the Black Knight, though...meh. They need to slow down with all these Sonic games. The reason they are doing so bad with Sonic games is because they are rushing, I think. Not giving themselves time to think. These game have unique styles to them. Mad World's black, white, and red concept, Overkills B-Movie grained art style, Pole's 8-Bit graphics.

Verm1

Postby Verm1 » February 14th, 2009, 5:42 pm

Well, having played the game. I think the reviewers claiming the game slow's down erratically are incorrect.

Those fairly common clouds of green mist you can shoot are a sort of mini bullet time that only lasts a few seconds.

I think the game is great so far. About the only thing I would nitpick is that the manual doesn't explain the "pickups" (i.e. like the afore mentioned green mist).

Also, I think it goes a bit overboard on profanity. Yeah it's a tongue in cheek battle against a zombie infestation. But was there really need to have s-word or f-word in every other sentence.

snakeboy1

Postby snakeboy1 » February 18th, 2009, 10:17 pm

Well, I've had more time to play this game as I've been trying to play an episode a night before I go to bed. After 5 episodes here are my thoughts:

- So far the shooting action has definitely been fun. The carnival level has been the highlight so far. The stuttering frame rate is noticeable, but doesn't really bother me.

- The bosses are fairly easy, which I don't mind, but I find it odd that so far the first boss has by far been the toughest.

- I find the cut-scenes and dialogue to be mildly amusing at best and somewhat annoying at worst. I found myself wanting to yawn after about the five hundredth F-bomb. Overall, it's not nearly as funny as the terrible voice acting in House of the Dead 2.

- While the game hasn't been quite as great as I once hoped, I would definitely recommend it to light gun fans.

LeonChamp

Postby LeonChamp » February 19th, 2009, 6:35 am

House of the dead games are pure arcade fun, you would think that as this one has been made for the Wii only, it wouldn't have frame rate trouble, like you have stated. But if the game is fun and the action quick and constant, it would be less noticeable, so your experience would not be affected. I'm going to get this regardless.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 19th, 2009, 9:37 pm

Whoever designed this thing had the right idea - the game has style to burn! Love the music too. Unfortunately, I don't think the programmers were very experienced, because the game looks and plays sloppy.  Still, it does contain some of the most gruesome bosses ever!

Return to “Modern Gaming”