Sometimes Sony strikes me as absolutely pathetic!

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 2nd, 2009, 10:58 am

I'm having a hard time following the recent posts, but I do have an opinion why Sony hasn't been doing as well lately.

I believe the first Playstation was a terrific machine produced by people with a passion for games.  It may not have been revolutionary, but it took the best parts of other consoles and elevated them to the next level.

But the system's success was also a curse.  By the time the Playstation 2 had rolled around, the system had gone "corporate".  No longer were real gamers running the show - just a bunch of executives with an eye on the bottom line.

This was especially apparent with the PS3.  Looking back, it seems like the single purpose of this machine was to push through Sony's new Blu-Ray video format.  Otherwise it's just more of the same.

On the other hand, it seems like Nintendo has always maintained its focus on gaming and fun.  They really don't have any other agendas.  I think that's a big reason why Nintendo is drinking Sony's milkshake.

ajsmart1

Postby ajsmart1 » March 2nd, 2009, 11:18 am

[QUOTE=steer]
I do not see why your 'ancedotal evidence' about LIVE trumps mine.[/QUOTE]

It does. His is first hand evidence,  yours is hearsay. 

BanjoPickles1

Postby BanjoPickles1 » March 2nd, 2009, 1:42 pm

Wowza, this topic sort of spun out in all directions!

This isn't a topic of Xbox Live, violence in video games(I personally don't care what the creator of Tetris has to say), people not catered to by Nintendo, etc. This isn't an anti-Steer, anti-Mozart, anti-anybody topic. The original discussion had to do with a company stooping to the lowest common denominator to convince people that a company that is so far to the left of what they're doing anyway is childish and not worth the time of anybody except for some friggin' Care Bears demographic! Aye, aye, aye!

Oltabaz, I'm sure that Nintendo was not happy back in '97. However, there is a difference. Nintendo hasn't taken very many opportunities in the press to paint Sony as something they're not. Nintendo's biggest success, at least this generation, is doing the exact opposite of what Sony and MS have done. I think that Sony has done an outstanding job, in many respects, but keeping things professional in the press is not one of them. Needlessly whining about the wheelings-and-dealings of other companies is not going to sell one stinking system for them so why do it? In the past fourteen years, the only real thing I've read about Sony from Nintendo is that they're arrogant(after Sony's '06 E3) and they nailed it! The execs at Sony are painfully arrogant! The main ones(Kaz Harai, Ken Kutaragi, Phil Harrison, etc.) seem to repaint history where they are the only company in video games that matter. I understand it's all business, but how much does it really help them? Jason, with all due respect, I can look at you and understand fully that a system like the Wii will never be for you. You have zero interest, regardless of what happens, and that's fine. That's my point, though. People can't be convinced through such stupid tactics. To me, it's a put-off. It's sort of what the critic was saying. I gave up on Nintendo in '96 because A). I thought they were, themselves, arrogant and B). the Playstation seemed like the next step up. Sony then, as far as video games were concerned, put their money where their mouths were. I've always said that the ps1, to me, was the logical next step up from the snes. I understand that you don't see eye-to-eye with me, Jason, but Sony's increasing arrogance has completely killed my interest in them as a console manufacturer. There is nothing that they have that MS doesn't have better, in my opinion. So what we have is a cocky, arrogant company that can't outgun the competition, so they slander them in the press.

Once again, it's only my opinion.

JasonhasRSI1

Postby JasonhasRSI1 » March 2nd, 2009, 5:39 pm

[QUOTE=BanjoPickles]Jason, with all due respect, I can look at you and understand fully that a system like the Wii will never be for you. You have zero interest, regardless of what happens, and that's fine.
[/QUOTE]

???????????????????

How the heck did you get that from anything I've said in this thread? What, exactly, brings you to that conclusion?

You've stated many times that you're in your mid 20's, but, with all due respect, I find your reactions to some of the more controversial or argumentative posts around here a bit histrionic and childish. Sorry.

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » March 2nd, 2009, 6:49 pm

You think Sony is arrogant? Well, that may be true to some extent, but Nintendo isn't much different, more subtle, perhaps. I mean, the 'Original Seal of Quality', anyone? 'Always look for this seal when buying video game systems, accessories, games, and related products' So, like, if I don't see that seal, I'm basically buying what?! Crap? If that's not supreme overconfidence... Anyways, you stated part of the reason you stopped buying Sony was their arrogance. You also said you dropped the Snes for the same reason. Man, should you even care? As long as I'm seeing great games on my systems, why should I even care about so called 'company values'? Last time I checked, they were all out there to make money, that's the one thing they have in common.

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » March 2nd, 2009, 8:24 pm

[QUOTE=Oltobaz] I mean, the 'Original Seal of Quality', anyone? 'Always look for this seal when buying video game systems, accessories, games, and related products' So, like, if I don't see that seal, I'm basically buying what?! Crap? If that's not supreme overconfidence...[/QUOTE]

If you don't see that seal, you're buying something that is not officially recognized by Nintendo, something they will not take responsibility for any accidents related to (and believe me, in Europe, SNES consoles malfunctioning due to the use of unlicensed adaptors for playing import games was quite common), nor will they particularly care if it was just an empty plastic shell.

The seal means "Nintendo ensures this product will work as advertised", it does not mean Uncle Nintendo is personally playtesting every game, slapping the seal on only games he personally determines not a single person in existance could possibly dislike.

Where do people get this ridiculous misconception that the seal has anything to do with how fun you personally find the game from? What, do you sue game reviewers every time you didn't feel a game you bought lived up to their review score, too?

steer

Postby steer » March 2nd, 2009, 9:03 pm

This thread is turning into a disaster....

Lets just all forget it, and move on?

BanjoPickles1

Postby BanjoPickles1 » March 3rd, 2009, 7:31 am

[QUOTE=JasonhasRSI][QUOTE=BanjoPickles]Jason, with all due respect, I can look at you and understand fully that a system like the Wii will never be for you. You have zero interest, regardless of what happens, and that's fine.[/QUOTE]

???????????????????

How the heck did you get that from anything I've said in this thread? What, exactly, brings you to that conclusion?

You've stated many times that you're in your mid 20's, but, with all due respect, I find your reactions to some of the more controversial or argumentative posts around here a bit histrionic and childish. Sorry.[/QUOTE]

???????

Well, I wasn't trying to insult you with my previous post, it's just that you've even said yourself that you're not that much of a Nintendo guy. You were a Sega guy in the 16-bit era, I'm assuming you were a Sony guy during the 32 bit era, and so forth. I was using you as an example of somebody who probably wouldn't be convinced to buy a system based on what one company said about it.

If you think I'm childish in the way I handle myself, that's fine. Personally, I just think I have a strong opinion and sometimes I go to great lengths to defend that opinion.

Steer, I agree that this thread has turned into a bit of a disaster.;-) Shut er down.

BanjoPickles1

Postby BanjoPickles1 » March 3rd, 2009, 10:52 am

I apologize for the double post but this is bugging me. What, exactly, have I said that would entice you to accuse me of being "histrionic(melodramatic?)?" I don't take offense to much, really only when people needlessly put others down. I'd like to think that I'm a pretty level-headed kind of guy. I may ramble on a bit much but that's the writer in me. If anything, I may be a bit stubborn, but "histrionic" and "childish?" I don't know whether to laugh or take offense. You and I don't know each other, so let's just keep our opinions in the realm of video games, okay?

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » March 3rd, 2009, 2:29 pm

[QUOTE=Adamant]

[QUOTE=Oltobaz] I mean, the 'Original Seal of Quality', anyone? 'Always look for this seal when buying video game systems, accessories, games, and related products' So, like, if I don't see that seal, I'm basically buying what?! Crap? If that's not supreme overconfidence...[/QUOTE]

If you don't see that seal, you're buying something that is not officially recognized by Nintendo, something they will not take responsibility for any accidents related to (and believe me, in Europe, SNES consoles malfunctioning due to the use of unlicensed adaptors for playing import games was quite common), nor will they particularly care if it was just an empty plastic shell.

The seal means "Nintendo ensures this product will work as advertised", it does not mean Uncle Nintendo is personally playtesting every game, slapping the seal on only games he personally determines not a single person in existance could possibly dislike.

Where do people get this ridiculous misconception that the seal has anything to do with how fun you personally find the game from? What, do you sue game reviewers every time you didn't feel a game you bought lived up to their review score, too?
[/QUOTE]

Check your facts: this seal ensures reliability, AS WELL as quality. Just look into it
through Wikipedia, and you'll see. Sheesh...

Return to “Modern Gaming”