Sometimes Sony strikes me as absolutely pathetic!

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
BanjoPickles1

Postby BanjoPickles1 » February 28th, 2009, 9:28 am

The head of the psp division seems to be practically begging Rockstar to make another GTA for the psp. That's not what's pathetic but what he had to say about the ds. He basically claims that Chinatown Wars has raised a few eyebrows since the system is predominantly owned by the 12 and under set(according to an article on 1up.com). Why, any time things work against them, they feel like they have to remind the world that "NINTENDO'S FOR KIDS!!" The Wii's doing well? It must be those darned 12 year olds because no adult plays the Wii! The DS? Kids! From what I've been reading, Chinatown Wars supposedly SMOKES the two installments for the psp. Certainly not on graphics or sound, but rather gameplay where it counts. Apart from the few jockish meatheads in my group that fall for this kind of spin, most of my friends own a ds and see it for what it is! I think at this point, it's safe to say that the ds is a little above being called nothing more than a kid's toy. It's a VIDEO GAME HANDHELD but I guess that's considered childish in 2009.

Any thoughts?

wur1

Postby wur1 » February 28th, 2009, 3:33 pm

He should push his own company to make another excellent Syphon Filter for the PSP. The first two were almost as good as Goldeneye and Perfect Dark. He should also press his own company to make another Killzone Liberation or God of War.

N64Dude1

Postby N64Dude1 » February 28th, 2009, 6:01 pm

Sony was always pathetic,they always made crappy games and figured oh "Nintendo's for Kids we'll win"

PlayStation sucks all of them it's that simple.They were pathetic even when they defeated the better cartridge system and mini-disc system. No good games,fall apart in seconds,everything works against them,they got as far as they did because they used SEGA's "Mature" tactic.Without 3rd Party SONY is nothing!

Nintendo on the other hand can make a console sell 33 million units with little 3rd party support,Microsoft has proven to at least make some good games themselves if they fail they have Rare,but SONY has neither good in-house nor good 2nd party,and don't pull the Naughty Dog card those games are play once

Okay that's enough of the anti-SONY rant

BanjoPickles1

Postby BanjoPickles1 » February 28th, 2009, 7:44 pm

I do agree with some of that, N64. However, I can't agree with you that Sony has no first party games that are good. They have:

-Warhawk: never played the ps3 version but the ps1 version was aces!
-Gran Turismo: One of the highest-regarded racers of all time!
-God of War: you can't deny the impact, over the past few years, of this franchise.
-Twisted Metal: A second-party(?) franchise that, aside from a few weaker entries, always made for a great time!
-Little Big Planet-Everything I hear about this game points to stellar. One of the few reasons I had for actually wanting a ps3.
Killzone: While I wasn't impressed at all with the first Killzone, I'm hearing nothing but great things about the recently-released sequel!

I do agree, though, that Sony has made a career out of aping and bad mouthing the competition. Also, I think Sony would be alot more screwed without third-parties than Nintendo's proven to be in the past. I just get a little bored with Sony force-feeding the mentality that "Nintendo is for twelve year olds!" What astounds me are the meatheads that buy into it...lock, stock, and barrel!

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » February 28th, 2009, 7:52 pm

Sony has some great first party games.  The Siren series is one of my favorite survival horror series of all time.

steer

Postby steer » February 28th, 2009, 9:05 pm

I don't think Sony is so bad. I really like Gran Turismo. I am not a fan of their controllers at all, though.

Also no doubt the DS is the youngest demographic on average, but at the same time it has a very diverse and large audience. There is a reason this game was made for DS and not PSP, and itis not Rockstars love for Nintendo, I imagine they put it where they felt it will do best.

As far as GTA, I would love to see some data on how many copies Rockstar/take2 would not have sold of that franchise if kids/minors were NOT buying it, or having it bought by their parents exclusivly for them...I doubt (hypotheticly) that they would give that money back, and I doubt further Sony would cut them a check to cover the difference, as far as what age group is buying those games...

I would not mind seeing this game bomb on DS, but I really doubt it will. I get a kick out of game hype for this series though, for GTA4 it was 'now you can drive drink!' as the new heralded feature, and the DS game apparently has a 'drug-dealing mini game'...

Luke

Postby Luke » March 1st, 2009, 1:54 am

[QUOTE=N64Dude]Sony was always pathetic,they always made crappy games and figured oh "Nintendo's for Kids we'll win" PlayStation sucks all of them it's that simple.They were pathetic even when they defeated the better cartridge system and mini-disc system. No good games,fall apart in seconds,everything works against them,they got as far as they did because they used SEGA's "Mature" tactic.Without 3rd Party SONY is nothing! [/QUOTE]Replace Sony with Microsoft and then I'd agree with you. Let me tell you something, without Bungie and Team Ninja.. THE XBOX WOULD HAVE BEEN NOTHING!

Roperious1

Postby Roperious1 » March 1st, 2009, 9:51 am

[QUOTE=BanjoPickles] I do agree, though, that Sony has made a career out of aping and bad mouthing the competition. [/QUOTE]

How quickly we forget, Sega's rise was based on exactly the same thing.

"Sega does what Nintendon't!"

BanjoPickles1

Postby BanjoPickles1 » March 1st, 2009, 11:14 am

Oh, I remember very vividly but Sega and Sony are two very different beasts. Sega used their advertising against Nintendo(mainly for a couple of genesis and game gear ads), while Sony takes every opportunity to tear down the competition. Some examples:

1). Sony claiming the Xbox 360 was more of an xbox 1.5 even though, to me, there wasn't much difference between the 360 and ps3.

2). Sony with the ridiculous claim that, with the psp, they were pulling handheld gaming out of the ghetto! What ghetto?

3). The constant claim that Nintendo is for children only.

4). In several interviews, they have boasted about burying the dreamcast. Sony didn't bury Sega! Sega buried Sega!

That seems to be the only ammunition Sony has against Nintendo and, after twelve years, it's gotten a bit old. Yeah, I get it, Nintendo's for kids! Shut up, already! Lol!

Steer, I don't know if I would ever wish for a game to bomb if genuine effort was invested. I don't understand why you'd want a game like that to bomb. Even though you may not be into the series, real effort has been made so why such a ridiculous wish?

steer

Postby steer » March 1st, 2009, 11:48 am

4). In several interviews, they have boasted about burying the dreamcast. Sony didn't bury Sega! Sega buried Sega!
I think they did actually, to a point. SEGA lost a lot of development to PS2, to say the least. Dreamcast had plenty going for it, and than PS2 swallowed it up.

The big difference is, in my opinion, SEGA and Nintendo have arcade pasts, Sony does not.

Sony does more mulimedia, obviously. And MS has made PC games for a long time....They are all kind of true to their roots, if you think about it.

3). The constant claim that Nintendo is for children only

Now Nintendo is for familes...! Is Wii a middle class console?

2). Sony with the ridiculous claim that, with the psp, they were pulling handheld gaming out of the ghetto! What ghetto?

It is also interesting to see the differnt game style Nintendo puts out compared to Sony (and most other big devs,) Nintendo tends to make purely portable games with what ever franchise for DS, PSP is more about putting console games on a portable. At least they kind of balance each other.

. Even though you may not be into the series, real effort has been made so why such a ridiculous wish?

Well dont take it personal, I just would like to see evidence that GTA is over developed. I probably wont get my wish, anyhow.

Return to “Modern Gaming”