360 Live?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

360 Live?

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 13th, 2006, 6:02 pm

Guys,

Anybody have any advice as to whether I should do the Xbox Live online thing?  I don't like paying $100 for the wireless adapter, but I'll do it if you think it's worth it.

By the way, I've been reviewing three 360 racers, and while the graphics didn't blow me away, I've been very impressed with the gameplay in general.

Stay tuned

Dave

Adamant1

360 Live?

Postby Adamant1 » March 13th, 2006, 6:24 pm

You can download awesome games from Live.

Other than that, I found it pretty meh, but thatmight have something to do with me neither liking online gaming nor the majority of the 360's game lineup.

But yeah, you can download games. Not for free though, but they're cheap enough to check out. The all-new Geometry Wars blows the entire 360 library out of the water, and you can download classics like Smash TV, Joust, Robotron (!!) and... um, Gauntlet (which is kinda cool to play online. There, I said it, online gaming CAN be fun. And single-player Gauntlet was always crap anyway).

morbid

360 Live?

Postby morbid » March 13th, 2006, 6:52 pm

Arcade is cool and of course the free demo's.Regular online is fun too but it can sometimes be annoying if you have a prick in the game.Most of the time it's fun though.If you have a friend with live (or better multible) it's even more fun becuase of the friendlist and the voice chat.

bluemonkey1

360 Live?

Postby bluemonkey1 » March 14th, 2006, 6:00 am

You can download demos.  The Outfit demo is playable online too.

It opens up some of the main new features in PGR3 and Burnout Revenge.

It allows you to stream audio and video from your computer.

It lets you download small cheap games which offer huge variety to the XBox 360 catalogue.  And which will soon include (finally) an arcade perfect port of SSF2.

It also allows backwards compatability and system updates.

Can yout not just open up your plug sockets though and run some ethernet cable through the cavities?

chrisbid1

360 Live?

Postby chrisbid1 » March 14th, 2006, 7:33 am

you absolutely have NO way of trying out live on a small tv near your router before making a final decision on going full speed ahead with a wireless purchase?

Anayo1

360 Live?

Postby Anayo1 » March 14th, 2006, 3:24 pm

Wait just a second. I don't plan on getting a 360 any time soon, but did I just hear [i]one hundred bucks[/i] for a wireless network adapter? Isn't there just an ethernet card build into the machine, or something?

sega saturn x

360 Live?

Postby sega saturn x » March 14th, 2006, 4:35 pm

Might as well since single player on a lot of current x box games is akin to having a shoe box full of content.  The meat of the game is in online, and quite frankly I hate games like that. 

bluemonkey1

360 Live?

Postby bluemonkey1 » March 14th, 2006, 8:11 pm

SSX please name a single game like that apart from Counterstrike.

JustLikeHeaven1

360 Live?

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » March 14th, 2006, 8:29 pm

Personally I tried XBOX live around a year ago and I couldn't have been happier with it.  The games ran very smoothly and you could find people to play almost any game (even most of the older titles).  The only annoying thing was playing against the occasional stereo-typical pimple faced adolescent (the one who constantly says things like "pwned" and thinks saying sh** makes him cool).  Also be prepared to get the living crap kicked out of you in almost everything you play.  If there was one thing that online gaming taught me, its that I really sucked at alot of multiplayer games...

Critic, if you can, do the free trial without hooking up the wireless adapter.  Even if you have to test it out on a small tv or something.  At least you know what you will be getting into before you drop the money.  At least do it so you can play some of the older XBOX games on your new 360.

bluemonkey1

360 Live?

Postby bluemonkey1 » March 14th, 2006, 9:43 pm

You have got to be kidding me.  That is blatantly not true.

Also does the DS let you do voice communication?  I did not think it did?

I'll stick to playing the likes of Road to Hill 30 on XBox Live thank you very much.  Also the XBox doesn't require my PC to be on to play over Live unlike the DS.  Then there's the fact that the XBox has a ton more games playable online than the DS.

And correct me if I am wrong but in the DS online system do the friendship codes allow you to tell whenever another person has their DS switched on?  Does it allow them to invite friends to play a game if they are playing a different game?  Can you have phone conversations over it?  Does it allow you to leave recorded messages for your friends?  XBox Live is the best implemented online game system ever created.  And one of the most praised things about the 360 have been it's improvements to the Live service.

Seriously that was the most obvious fanboy post I have ever seen.

Return to “Modern Gaming”