360 Live?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Atarifever1

360 Live?

Postby Atarifever1 » March 15th, 2006, 7:37 pm

[QUOTE=Leo Ames]

Plus with the DS, if you don't have the right wireless router, you get to pay $40 for the wifi adapter. [/QUOTE]
Opps, soory, when writing my last post I forgot exactly what you said about routers.  You weren't arguing about them at all.   Sorry again.
If I may, the adapter cost is the cost of me playing my DS anywhere in my house.  Now, I have my xbox in the living room.  The house's computer and cable modem is in the computer room (on the opposite side of the house).  If I want to hook my Xbox up I have to buy a lot of wire; wire that is far from cheap.  Many people who have Xboxes have them in the living room on their large TV.  All of these people who do not have computers in the living room have to buy that wire (which once again isn't cheap at larger lengths).  Now, add in the fact that while my DS can go online while the computer is on (and thus without disturbing my roomates) the Xbox would require a router be in place to do the same.  Now, if I want to legally go the router route, then I need to pay a substantial sum of money to the cable company each month to rent it, or I need to illegally hook one up or pay a large amount of money to buy from them outright.  The other option is that I unplug the computer from the internet everytime I go online, which no one will like.  Thus, if we're arguing "required perephrials" then the cost of the adapter seems pretty small.
Bottom line: DS online is free while xbox live is not, unless we add in unknown costs that really could be manipulated to be as high as our arguement wants to make them. 

bluemonkey1

360 Live?

Postby bluemonkey1 » March 15th, 2006, 8:25 pm

Atarifever unless someone involves in piracy a 128 - 256 kbps internet connection is so fast for general web browsing and legal downloads that no the upgrade to 512kbps doesn't add that much extra value.

And actually SSX made a post slagging off the XBox near the bottom of the page.

And ok find let's take into account the cost of the consoles.  Here in the UK a second hand DS = £70-80.  A second hand XBox = £60.

Atarifever1

360 Live?

Postby Atarifever1 » March 15th, 2006, 9:48 pm

[QUOTE=bluemonkey]

Atarifever unless someone involves in piracy a 128 - 256 kbps internet connection is so fast for general web browsing and legal downloads

[/QUOTE]
Well, that'd hardly include anyone who uses the inernet
All I'm trying to say is that as long as we don't try bringing in all sorts of extra stuff that people may or may not need to go online for either system (of which the console example I thought was the logical extension of what you were trying to argue) then a currently supported Nintendo system is free to play online while what is soon to be Microsoft's only current system getting new games costs more to take online.  If we're comparing the Xbox to anything then it has to be the Gamecube or PS2 (as the two are contemporaries), and then the Xbox obviously wins handsdown.  Of course, I think the 360 does too, but I think trying to argue Nintendo's online service is not free is like arguing that McDonalds free Sundaes aren't free because you have to use gas in your car to drive there.    

Atarifever1

360 Live?

Postby Atarifever1 » March 15th, 2006, 9:53 pm

[QUOTE=Leo Ames]

only to discover I hate snaking, and realize multiplayer MK doesn't do much for me when only 1/4 of the courses are available online, and especially has no online battle mode. lol

[/QUOTE]
Agreed on all fronts.  I was depressed to find out that battlemode wasn't supported as well (I was practicing for it and everything).  I haven't played any snakers yet, but I have played against people who shut down before losing.  What does that accomplish for them exactly?  They still know their record relects nothing, so why bother? 
As you can see from the time diference between our posts, I realized I'd misinterpreted what you said around the same time you started to reply.  Also, sorry for not writing your name. 

chrisbid1

360 Live?

Postby chrisbid1 » March 16th, 2006, 10:43 am

back to the original point,

apples - DS

-----------

portable game system

wi-fi built in

no cost to play games online

simple no frills service

can use any public wifi hotspot for free

oranges - 360

------------

console game system

ethernet built in

significant cost for playing anytime

robust online service

essentially built around home internet service

we can all pretty much agree, that the DS has better online play than the PSP, and the 360 has better online play than the original xbox, PS2, or Gamecube.

sega saturn x

360 Live?

Postby sega saturn x » March 16th, 2006, 3:19 pm

Guys that second post wasn't me, it's seek and destroy again.  Huzza for being 40 and having nothing better to do with your life.

Conn

360 Live?

Postby Conn » March 16th, 2006, 3:33 pm

I disagree. Sure, the DS is free, but the 360 has much better matchmaking, and FRIENDS LISTS.

sega saturn x

360 Live?

Postby sega saturn x » March 16th, 2006, 3:50 pm

Oh yeah, and to answer what games have no single player.  The new unreal games lack any real single player game.  But what I was getting at is often times now the single player will take a back seat to the online.  Mechwarrior and halo 2 are good examples, but are great games and have good single players but you can't deny the meat of the game is online.

Atarifever1

360 Live?

Postby Atarifever1 » March 16th, 2006, 6:18 pm

[QUOTE=sega saturn x]Guys that second post wasn't me, it's seek and destroy again.  Huzza for being 40 and having nothing better to do with your life.
[/QUOTE]
I knew it!  I didn't want to risk offending you if it was really your opinion, but I thought that sounded like his particular brand of idiotic mock post.  Man, that guy is an arguement for there not being enough hentai.  I mean, I imagine if there were more of it to occupy his time alone in the basement between games of "clip the wings off of flies" and "fight with his mom" he wouldn't have so much time to waste here.  He's such a tool that if he went into Home Depot they'd arrest him for trying to shoplift himself.  (Where'd I hear that, it was in something lately).

Leo Ames

360 Live?

Postby Leo Ames » March 16th, 2006, 6:55 pm

Sega Saturn X, he's been banned. Sorry the different ip address wasn't caught earlier.

If it bans the name, send me an email and I'll fix it, but it should just ban him.

Return to “Modern Gaming”