Dead consoles pushing the limits?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 17th, 2009, 6:37 pm

With the epidemic of machines breaking (360s and PS3s to be specific), it makes me wonder if Microsoft and Sony are sacrificing quality and reliability in order to push the limits of technology.

I mean, it only takes one look at the 360 with is loud dual-fans and cinder-block sized power adapter to know that Microsoft went all-out with the 360.  And in fairness, the 360 delivers top-notch graphics with minimal load times.

The PS3 is clearly designed to be a multi-media machine with its Blu Ray and multiple ports, but did they compromise its gaming abilities in the process?  The Blu-Ray is well known to be a slow disk reader.

Let's hear your thoughts.

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » March 17th, 2009, 6:46 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]With the epidemic of machines breaking (360s and PS3s to be specific), it makes me wonder if Microsoft and Sony are sacrificing quality and reliability in order to push the limits of technology.

[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what I had in mind today. Let's face it, I don't think my Wii is gonna break anytime soon, if ever...

BanjoPickles1

Postby BanjoPickles1 » March 17th, 2009, 7:35 pm

If you look at history, though, has Nintendo ever had a faulty product? My Gamecube, purchased back in 2001, is still fully-functional today. So are my front-loading nes(though it takes alot of blowing to make it work), my top-loader, my snes, and my 64! Also, I've never had a problem with my original genny, either(I wish I could say the same for my old Sega CD, and first two Dreamcasts!)!

However, I went through THREE ps1's, and my second ps2 just crapped out on me a couple of weeks ago! Pretty aggrivating stuff!

Really, I think the faultiness of the 360 is genuinely hurting Microsoft! Granted, it isn't burying them but I've actually met several people who have felt compelled to buy a PS3 instead of a 360! However, where will these people go if the same faultiness(though not as severe) exists with the ps3 as well?

Luke

Postby Luke » March 18th, 2009, 1:58 am

I haven't heard of any PS3's breaking.

steer

Postby steer » March 18th, 2009, 11:06 am

Well, I am sure many people here know a lot more than me...

But :

1. Doesn't it seem like the cost and development time are now a bigger obstacle than processing power? So now what?

2. Look at all the big boy publishers having financial troubles. Nintendo has most of the revenue growth of the industry - everybody is probably grossing more, but Nintendo is one of the few with skyrocketing PROFITS!

3. Some quality smaller devs have bit the dust when exclusive big budget games underpreformed....that is not good at all.

4. Sports games dont look that much 'more' photrealistic than they used to - what's the point anymore? Seems like they aint going to 'improve' much anymore. Of course there is room for as many artisitc styles as devs care to make, but you cannot say there is any pressure on titles like Wii Sports to go 'photorealisitc'. More of an albatross than a selling point? 

5 - Sure there is a lot of 'movie money' investment into game compaines going on, and a lot of game directors with backgrounds or education in film, and the industry certainly promotes and hypes cinema games....but the market for them - though very loyal and active - is really  a small chunck. The majority of gamers seem to enjoy arcade/diversion games such as you might find on iphone or the downlaoble services, or Nintendos new EAD titles....to me it seems like the interactive adventure game has hit a creative wall.

6. EDGE did a list of their top 100 most enjoyable games - and 2 N64 games - Mario 64 and Orcarina of Time - were tops on the list....two N64 games???? Really? Whats that say about processing power? Its like pumping more money into schools and expecting less childrens to be left behind to a matching percentage...what about FUN? What baout new ideas, that can define genres like those 2 did? Instead of sequelitis?

7. Is there an 'its all been done' feeling lately? Must be for me, cause I like Wiiware so well.....that feels fresh - Animal Crossing, Smash Brothers - same old, same old...

ManKind

Postby ManKind » March 18th, 2009, 7:56 pm

the ps3 main problem lies on his game ported from the xbox 360 or the PC. Most ported game are worst on the ps3 than any other system

N64Dude1

Postby N64Dude1 » March 18th, 2009, 8:55 pm

Hey steer what's wrong with you! Mario 64 is completely innovative I'm sorry but I'm sick of people running it over simply because it isn't 2D. 3D games wouldn't really be where they are today without this sequel.If this game didn't prove thumbsticks were necessary we'd be stuck with awkward D-Pads.

Ocarina of Time has the sweetest gameplay out there.

Don't give these games the cold shoulder becuase they are sequels and aren't  out of the way innovative like Odama or The Haunting.

Ever since 1989 when GameBoy came out Nintendo has been the master of reliability (Sorry NES you didn't make it) no company has really gtten quite as close if consoles were any more durable you could drop them off the Empire State Building and they'd still work!

BanjoPickles1

Postby BanjoPickles1 » March 19th, 2009, 12:23 am

N64, you may have jumped the gun there a bit. I think he was PRAISING those two games, actually.

What baout new ideas, that can define genres like those 2 did? Instead of sequelitis?

He pretty much said that Ocarina and Mario 64 defined the genre. In no way or shape do I think he was bashing either game. Of course, if I'm wrong, then you owe me the thrashing of a lifetime.;-)

steer

Postby steer » March 19th, 2009, 8:00 am

Well list's like that are highly political and subjective - if you look at it you will find the top PS3, 360, and Wii games on the list are buched together so they cover all their bases, lol.

But the point is - its been 11 to 13 years since them games were new, that is a loonnng time in gaming, I mean Mario 64 was an N64 LAUNCH title, Orcarina maybe 2 years later?

So maybe the longer you build prettier, longer and more cinematic skins on their game skeletons, the bigger they become?

Or maybe a lot of people would feel they are overrated, and games have long left them by, and are much more enjoyable, gameplay wise...?

Viper821

Postby Viper821 » March 23rd, 2009, 9:06 am

[quote]I haven't heard of any PS3's breaking[/quote]

Mine did. Furthermore, I saw no shortage of gamers had the exact same problem I had: the Blu-Ray diode gave out only 10 months after I got it. Thankfully, it was 100% covered under warranty (and I got a shiny new one four days later) but it was still an unnecessary hassle.

Furthermore, my PS2 lasted less than 2 years and controllers only lasted a few months at first and you'll see why I don't consider Sony to have top quality products. On the other hand, it could be worse. I haven't met any 360 owner yet who hasn't had the famous Red Ring.

I might not like Nintendo products that much anymore, but one thing is for sure... My NES, SNES, GB, GBA, N64 and DS all work and only recently did the NES and SNES start to give trouble. Critic is right, bigger doesn't always mean better.

Return to “Modern Gaming”