I'm sorry.....but Wii has great 3rd party support....

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
steer

Postby steer » March 18th, 2009, 10:48 am

It's called wiiware, and wiiware is awesome.

Probably the best new feature of Wii - what a wild card to play. 'Small' file sizes have produced some great, focused games.

How do you feel about it, caller?

BanjoPickles1

Postby BanjoPickles1 » March 19th, 2009, 12:26 am

Unfortunately, due to lack of space and me being a horrible juggler, I haven't went as hog-wild on wiiware as I would have liked to. The games that I have picked up, though, range from pretty damn fun to "holy  crap, this is awesome!"

I think that Wii's third party support is really starting to shine. This year looks friggin' great for third-party games, actually!

By the way, how was Bit Trip Beat? I was planning on downloading that next.

QF

Postby QF » March 19th, 2009, 12:50 am

Has anyone tried Gradius Rebirth? Any opinions?

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » March 19th, 2009, 4:29 am

WiiWare is still behind the other consoles in volume of titles though.  XBLA has been pumping releases out by the boat load.  Not sure how many releases PSN is seeing these days as I only follow the PSP PSN stuff.

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » March 19th, 2009, 5:11 am

[QUOTE]By the way, how was Bit Trip Beat? I was planning on downloading that next.[/QUOTE]

One of the greatest games of this generation. Get it.

steer

Postby steer » March 19th, 2009, 7:53 am

WiiWare is still behind the other consoles in volume of titles though.

Do you have a Wii, Bluemonkey...? I was under the impression you did not? I cannot catch up on qualtiy Wiiware/Disc games on Wii, - even my DSL gets little to no time, so I have no need to worry about volume on the 360 or the PS3.

So I do not know about volume - only there is no shortage of very well made games on Wiiware - they are not 'behind' in quality - and  many are exclusive, because of the control scheme......

I mean, you are entitled to your opinion, certainly no one has time to play everything....I just have to say I had high, vague hopes when the idea of wiiware was outlined by Iwata, and I have to say I have not been let down at all by game quality - in fact just the opposite.

Back on topic, one thing about Wiiware/ digitialy distributed games in general - the games MAY look on the surface 'shorter', but :

1.In general, they are harder.

2. In general, the best focus on REPLAY value, not on : 'complete the story, and never play again...' - 25 hour first play through narrative, etc.

3. They tend to be more creative - origional GAME ideas or redone franchises, not the 'license tie in' games that flood shelf space at retailers....trying to catch the attention of those who MAY not yet appreciate the root of gaming, they need to be led in through the familiar of TV/Movie.etc.....

4. Also Wii has a flood of origional puzzlers, in fact it may be the puzzler king, as you look at the whole of what wiiware and the disc channel offers, and I guess the VC as well....but the wiiware games are such fresh takes on the puzzle genre

5.There is little room in the 350 blocks or whatever available for frilly extras - boo-ya!

Return to “Modern Gaming”