NEW SYSTEM!!!!

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Oltobaz1

NEW SYSTEM!!!!

Postby Oltobaz1 » March 31st, 2009, 3:21 pm

Ever heard of the "Zeebo"? Here's an interesting weblink:   http://www.zeeboinc.com/
A system intended for emerging countries, with more far more potential than the various "famiclones" which came out in 80's/90'S...

m0zart1

NEW SYSTEM!!!!

Postby m0zart1 » March 31st, 2009, 4:03 pm

I'd be surprised if it was anything other than a failure.  The markets its targeting are so piracy-laden.

ActRaiser1

NEW SYSTEM!!!!

Postby ActRaiser1 » March 31st, 2009, 4:36 pm

That's actually pretty interesting.  It looks like piracy won't be much of an issue as it appears the only way to play a new game is to download it wirelessly over 3g connection. 

Hardware wise it's not all that powerful but at 640x480 resolution it doesn't really need to be.  From the specs it seems like it's a boxed up PDA with a 3g qualcomm chip. 

They might actually get a limited market for this although "new" titles will be lacking.

m0zart1

NEW SYSTEM!!!!

Postby m0zart1 » March 31st, 2009, 4:46 pm

[QUOTE=ActRaiser]That's actually pretty interesting.  It looks like piracy won't be much of an issue as it appears the only way to play a new game is to download it wirelessly over 3g connection.[/QUOTE]

Anything that relies on hardware/software alone to prevent piracy is not going to make piracy a non-issue.  Even as inconvenient as this setup would be, I don't doubt the ingenuity of thieves in making it possible.

ajsmart1

NEW SYSTEM!!!!

Postby ajsmart1 » March 31st, 2009, 4:53 pm

[QUOTE=m0zart]Anything that relies on hardware/software alone to prevent piracy is not going to make piracy a non-issue.  Even as inconvenient as this setup would be, I don't doubt the ingenuity of thieves in making it possible.[/QUOTE]

A favorite quote comes to mind...

"trying to make digital files uncopyable is like trying to make water not wet.” — Bruce Schneier

N64Dude1

NEW SYSTEM!!!!

Postby N64Dude1 » March 31st, 2009, 8:43 pm

This console is made form the same company that marketed SEGA systems in Brazil,I'm interested to see how it does.

Still I'm pretty sure another cancelled console called Phantom tried to do the same thing not to long ago.

Luke

NEW SYSTEM!!!!

Postby Luke » April 1st, 2009, 3:37 am

Ridge Racer, Street Fighter Alpha, Tekken 2, Quake, Fifa, Crazy Taxi, Sonic, Need For Speed, Virtua Tennis 3, Resident Evil 4... these are all older titles and may simply be arcade ROM's or straight console ports from existing consoles, but I must say that I'm very impressed that they're going to have this kind of support right from the jump. It's so crazy it might just work!

Oltobaz1

NEW SYSTEM!!!!

Postby Oltobaz1 » April 1st, 2009, 3:56 am

[QUOTE=m0zart]

[QUOTE=ActRaiser]That's actually pretty interesting.  It looks like piracy won't be much of an issue as it appears the only way to play a new game is to download it wirelessly over 3g connection.[/QUOTE]

Anything that relies on hardware/software alone to prevent piracy is not going to make piracy a non-issue.  Even as inconvenient as this setup would be, I don't doubt the ingenuity of thieves in making it possible.

[/QUOTE]

While piracy may be an issue, we've seen examples in the past of systems thriving in spite of piracy. The first two playstations, for instance. In fact, some speculate part of their success may have been related to piracy.

ajsmart1

NEW SYSTEM!!!!

Postby ajsmart1 » April 1st, 2009, 9:22 am

[QUOTE=Oltobaz]
While piracy may be an issue, we've seen examples in the past of systems thriving in spite of piracy. The first two playstations, for instance. In fact, some speculate part of their success may have been related to piracy.

[/QUOTE]

This may be true, but I suspect the opposite may be the case for the PSP. 

m0zart1

NEW SYSTEM!!!!

Postby m0zart1 » April 1st, 2009, 1:18 pm

[QUOTE=Oltobaz]

[/QUOTE]

In spite of piracy -- possibly.  Success due to piracy?  Not unless we've moved to bizarro world.

Return to “Modern Gaming”