What are your favorite games of the current generation?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » April 24th, 2009, 2:10 pm

Feel free to list out what have been your favorite games for each system this generation.

Wii

Twilight Princess - One of my favorite Zelda games. 

Super Mario Galaxy - I've always hated 3D mario...this one is awesome.

Zak and Wiki - I was raised on LucasArts and Sierra adventure games...this was a nice trip down memory lane.

PS3

LittleBigPlanet - Such a charming little game.  Like a fine wine this game constantly gets better with age (more awesome user levels, etc...).

Metal Gear Solid 4 - A tour de force of stealth action.  One of the best in terms of east meets west in terms of gaming design.

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune - One of the only games that has ever made me feel like I'm watching a summer blockbuster.  Excellent visuals and rock solid gameplay.

Xbox 360

Fable 2 - Improves upon the original in every way.  This might be my favorite game this generation.

Gears of War 2 - It might be the best modern shooter.  Can't wait to see more of this franchise.

Dead Rising - Such a fun campy action game.  Perfectly captured its theme/setting. 

Muti Platform Stuff

Fallout 3 - An awesome game.  Part shooter, part RPG, all awesome. 

Call of Duty 4 - My favorite FPS to date.  Online play is where its at.

Devil May Cry 4 - Great sequel.  It offers some actual challenge and its ludicrious in the best possible way.

Julio III

Postby Julio III » April 24th, 2009, 5:32 pm

Super Mario Galaxy - the first Mario game I've owned and it completely won me over. A pure videogame with a fantastic visual style and utterly amazing music that I still listen to a lot.

Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved - I prefer this over both its sequel and Galaxies (and also Waves). It is utterly fantastic. Each enemy is unique and the game just builds and builds and is a perfect score attack game.

Project Gotham Racing 4 - I love racing games and this one is utterly fantastic, only let-down is the lack of 4-player splitscreen.

Grand Theft Auto IV - my first 3D GTA and, like Mario before it, was completely won over. Its a fantastic experience and the new add-on was also a fantastic experience that deserves to be praised for how different it was to the main game.

And as a highly commended game (but not quite in the league of the ones above):

Kororinpa - this was an early Wii game that is similar to Marble Madness (and has a sequel out soon (now?). A pure videogame, maybe the most 3D game I've ever played and its all about getting a perfect time trial. Underrated and utterly fantastic.

JasonhasRSI1

Postby JasonhasRSI1 » April 24th, 2009, 8:54 pm

Devil May Cry 4
Ninja Gaiden II
Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
Bioshock
Dead Rising
Gears of War 2
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
Bangai-O Spirits

BanjoPickles1

Postby BanjoPickles1 » April 24th, 2009, 11:38 pm

Wii:

1). Super Mario Galaxy
2). Pinball Hall of Fame: Williams Collection
3). Bit Trip Beat
4). Mega Man 9
5). Order Up(much, MUCH better than Cooking Mama!)
6). Wii Sports
7). Madworld

360:

1). Civilization Revolution
2). Fight Night Round 3
3). Bioshock
4). Bionic Commando Rearmed
5). Castle Crashers
6). Grand Theft Auto 4

DS

1). Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars
2). Retro Game Challenge(I take back the bad things I thought about it before it came out)
3). Wario Ware: Touched
4). Metal Slug 7
5). Contra 4
6). Super Dodge Ball(it moves a bit slow but I am sooooo glad to see a new Kunio game!)

PSP:

1). Dracula X Chronicles(technically not "new," but it's new to me!)
2). Silent Hill Origins(believe it or not, this is actually the first Silent Hill I've ever gotten into!)

steer

Postby steer » April 25th, 2009, 1:09 am

In no particular order.....

Excitebots - I put some (highly addictive) time into this tonight, and now I am good and getting better. Wow, it is fantastic. Tons of crap to unlock as well, the online play is as much about earning money as it is competition....(of course winning earns you more coin)  Every thing in this game works great, and it is extremely imaginative to boot. Great controls and even the minigames are top notch - especially bowling and dart throwing.... Nintendo Power gave this an 8 with no apparent reason either way in their review, wow they drop the ball again.....(don't stick your neck out!) The only thing that confuses me is one of the racers is a turtle - slow and steady is the antithesis of Excitebots!

Mario Kart Wii - playing online adds so much to this game, probably the most competitive game on Wii....

SNK Compilation - well it ain't this gen, but it is mostly new to me. Best compilation disc I have ever seen - great multiplayer, 5 level long games, top shelf. This game was way off my radar as well....

Bit Trip Beat - Great modern-retro. Addictive - memorization, anticiaption, reaction...

Those are my current current faves....

snakeboy1

Postby snakeboy1 » April 25th, 2009, 2:22 am

The Wii is my only current gen console. Here are my top 10:

10) Shaun White Snowboarding - Takes a little time getting used to using the balance board, but once you do, it's lots of fun.

9) Wii Fit - How could I not put this on the list when I've played it more than any other game over the last 5 months?

8) Deadly Creatures - I don't know, perhaps I'm overrating this since my expectations weren't really high, but this game impressed the heck out of me. The atmosphere and sounds of this game really sucked me in. Also loved the minimalist story telling.

7) Metroid Prime 3 Corruption - Another game with terrific atmosphere. Probably the first time I've ever enjoyed the controls in a first person game.

6) Super Mario Galaxy - I probably don't like this game quite as much as some but still a terrific game.

5) Mario Kart Wii - Another terrific Mario Kart. Great online play a plus.

4) Geometry Wars Galaxies - One of the most addictive games I've ever played.

3) Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection - The best realistic pinball game I've ever played. Don't underestimate the motion controls in this game. Nudging the table was always awkward for me on a regular controller. It feels totally natural here.

2) Wii Sports
- One of the best multi-player games of all time.

1) Excite Truck - Probably my favorite racer of all time. Can't wait to play ExciteBots.

N64Dude1

Postby N64Dude1 » April 26th, 2009, 11:12 pm

Wii

3. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
2. Super Paper Mario
1. Super Smash Bros. Brawl [This one is my top 10]

Xbox 360

3.Soul Calibur IV
2.BioShock
1.Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon:Advanced Warfighter

PS3

3.Soul Calibur IV
2.Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
1.LittleBigPlanet

PSP

3.SSX on Tour
2.Grand Theft Auto:Vice City Stories
1.Daxter

DS

3. Kirby Superstar Ultra
2. Super Mario 64 DS
1. Yoshi's Island DS (Top 10 as well)

Overall

10.Super Mario 64 DS
9.Soul Calibur IV
8.Kirby Superstar Ultra
7.SSX on Tour [PSP]
6.Metroid Prime 3:Corruption
5.LittleBigPlanet
4.Super Paper Mario
3.BioShock
2.Yoshi's Island DS
1.Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Weird list huh

Andrew

Postby Andrew » April 29th, 2009, 8:33 pm

Bioshock, it's the best FPS I've ever played (I've played Doom and Goldeneye) and maybe even the best game.

Return to “Modern Gaming”