Dragon Quest IX

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
David

Dragon Quest IX

Postby David » July 19th, 2009, 4:57 pm

Seeing as how Dragon Quest IX is selling like crazy in Japan, how do you guys think it'll do in the rest of the game-buying world?  It seems to be getting more buzz than previous Dragon Quest games in the US, maybe because of the remakes on the DS?  It's definitely a day one purchase for me.  I think it was one of nine or ten games that have scored a 10/10 in Famitsu magazine in Japan, for whatever that's worth.

BanjoPickles1

Dragon Quest IX

Postby BanjoPickles1 » July 19th, 2009, 5:49 pm

It'll do about as good, in the rest of the world, as the previous 8 had: niche numbers. I think you'd have to look at the sales numbers in America for the remakes of IV and V. While decent, they are hardly earth-shattering.

As for Famitsu, I don't buy their rating system. Didn't they give Nintendogs a perfect score? That game was very interesting, but hardly a perfect game(I spent quite a bit of time with my stepson's copy).

David

Dragon Quest IX

Postby David » July 20th, 2009, 4:10 pm

You're probably right, which is too bad; it's a great series.  That's weird how Japan has a completely different taste in games.  Aren't Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest the two biggest series over there, yet they hardly makes a dent in sales in America?

BanjoPickles1

Dragon Quest IX

Postby BanjoPickles1 » July 21st, 2009, 3:14 pm

It also works the other way around, though. Japan's gaming demographic, by-and-large, supposedly hates first-person shooters and they don't do so well there. It is strange, though, that Final Fantasy made a splash but Dragon Quest never has. Maybe one of these days, the tide will turn.

Return to “Modern Gaming”