The Critic's new 360 reviews

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » April 9th, 2006, 10:26 am

[QUOTE=Shazapp]I have more fun with my 360 than I've had with my Xbox, GameCube and PS2 combined.  I currently own seven games for it (King Kong, Call of Duty 2, Perfect Dark Zero, Condemned, Fight Night Round 3, Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and Madden NFL '06)

[/QUOTE]
So those few games were better than Pikmin 1 & 2, Metroid Prime 1& 2, Animal Crossing, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, Windwaker, Donkey Kongas, RE4, Call of Duty Big Red One, God of War, GTA: VC, GTA:SA, Shadow of the Collosus, Destroy All Humans, Gran Tourismo 3 & 4, the Splinte Cells, Dragon Quest 8, Fight Night Round 2, Halo 1 & 2, Crimson Skies, Half Life 2, Doom 3, Stubs the Zombie, Fable, and Forza, all combined for example?  Wow, that must be a pretty revolutionary 7 games.
I want a 360 pretty bad, particularly after one of my fiancee's friend's boyfriend was at a party with us yesterday and left early to go buy one.  He was so excited about it and said so much great stuff about it, while we were at a bar and they had a 360 hooked up on a giant plasma with fight night 3 playing by the way, that if I wasn't saving for a trip this summer, I'd have ran off and bought one myself.  Actually, I'm still trying to figure out a way to fit one into my budget, but I get real poor in the summers, so it might not happen.  However, it'll be awhile before I think it's beaten the last generation game wise (I mean, sure it might look better, but the last generation had some incredibly great stuff).

Shazapp

Postby Shazapp » April 9th, 2006, 12:02 pm

Woah, hoss...I never said anything to put any other games down.  I'm just speaking from my experience.  I've been into games since the Atari 2600 (which is one of the reasons I come to this site) and I just said that I've enjoyed my 360 more than the PS2, Xbox and Gamecube combined.  I'm not saying that the 360's games (or, more specificially, the games I've purchased) are better than anything you've played...just that I've enjoyed the hell out of mine.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » April 9th, 2006, 2:28 pm

[QUOTE=Shazapp]Woah, hoss...I never said anything to put any other games down.  I'm just speaking from my experience.  I've been into games since the Atari 2600 (which is one of the reasons I come to this site) and I just said that I've enjoyed my 360 more than the PS2, Xbox and Gamecube combined.  I'm not saying that the 360's games (or, more specificially, the games I've purchased) are better than anything you've played...just that I've enjoyed the hell out of mine.

[/QUOTE]
I know that's what you meant.  I was just asking if in your experience those few games on 360 really have been more enjoyable than all the games you've played on the other three systems.  I mean, if you own the other 3 systems, you must have played at least a few of the games I listed (and likely many good ones I didn't). I was just making sure that you realized that what you said is that you think you've had more fun already with 7 games on the 360 than with all the games you played on the other three systems combined

Zenzerotron

Postby Zenzerotron » April 9th, 2006, 6:22 pm

I only got my Xbox360 because I got very lucky and won 500 bucks on a 5 dollar lottery ticket. If this hadn't happened, I most likely would have never owned an Xbox360 because 1. I couldn't afford it 2. my interest just isn't there.

Honestly Atarifever, my 2 games for it, Perfect Dark Zero and Full Auto, both have exceeded my expectations as far as gameplay fun. As far as graphics go, I feel if Full Auto was on a PS2, it wouldn't run as fast, and you just wouldn't get the detail and sprite-load of the damage you do to buildings and backgrounds. Perfect Dark Zero has an overall sharpness to the graphics that PS2 couldn't pull off, a PS2 version would be more jagged and greyish.

It's not that Xbox360 has a huge graphical leap over the PS2, but it simply has a much easier time accomplishing graphically what it wants too.

To use an analogy for graphics, if two men are racing agasint each other, running side by side, the PS2 would be the man sweating heavily giving 110% to keep up to the Xbox360, whom is the man running effortlessly without breaking a sweat. Sure, both men are going the same speed, but obviously the man giving his all to keep up isn't as impressive and will lose in the final lap.

But I can safely say, untill the Xbox360 gets a bigger and more diverse library of games, you shouldn't pay more then 200 bucks for an Xbox360 system right now.

So even though I own an Xbox360 and I've enjoyed it, I'm still very much on-the-fence as far as supporting it and recommending it to other people, simply due to it's small software line-up, that's mostly made up of racers and sports games.

Shazapp

Postby Shazapp » April 9th, 2006, 10:26 pm

[QUOTE=Atarifever]I know that's what you meant.  I was just asking if in your experience those few games on 360 really have been more enjoyable than all the games you've played on the other three systems.  I mean, if you own the other 3 systems, you must have played at least a few of the games I listed (and likely many good ones I didn't). I was just making sure that you realized that what you said is that you think you've had more fun already with 7 games on the 360 than with all the games you played on the other three systems combined.[/QUOTE]

Well, I was never much of a GameCube fan...so it's influence is negligible on the last generation for me.  The PS2 had some amazing games, but the majority of my gaming was done on the original Xbox. 

Unless you want to count the Dreamcast on this past generation...and then I'll retract my statement.  That's my favorite system of all time.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » April 10th, 2006, 7:44 am

[QUOTE=Shazapp]
Unless you want to count the Dreamcast on this past generation...and then I'll retract my statement.  That's my favorite system of all time.
[/QUOTE]
On it's own, it could probably beat most every system (except the Genesis and maybe the DS).  

Johnson73

Postby Johnson73 » April 10th, 2006, 6:13 pm

[QUOTE=Atarifever][QUOTE=Shazapp]
[/QUOTE]
On it's own, it could probably beat most every system (except the Genesis and maybe the DS).  
[/QUOTE]

I don't want to make the Dreamcast fans here mad (I know there are a lot of them), but I can't see why so many people think it is the best system of all time.  It's a great system, and I can understand why it would be somebody's personal favorite.  If you were to get 20 or 30 of its best games, you would have an awesome game library.  But I think if you want to determine what the best system of all time is, you have to look at the big picture.  If you compare the total number of great Dreamcast titles to the total number of great games on, say, Gamecube, Xbox, or PS2, the DC comes up a bit short.  Plus, the DC doesn't exactly have the most durable hardware in the world (either do the Xbox or PS2, but if a system is going to be the "best ever," it needs to last more than five years before dying).

Once again, I love the DC, and I really don't want to get into a big argument with anyone, but I think that the DC's short lifespan kept it from being better than any system that was financially successful.

Shazapp

Postby Shazapp » April 11th, 2006, 12:30 am

[QUOTE=Johnson73]I don't want to make the Dreamcast fans here mad (I know there are a lot of them), but I can't see why so many people think it is the best system of all time.  It's a great system, and I can understand why it would be somebody's personal favorite.  If you were to get 20 or 30 of its best games, you would have an awesome game library.  But I think if you want to determine what the best system of all time is, you have to look at the big picture. [/QUOTE]

What it ALWAYS comes down to is an opinion...and mine's no better than anyone elses and vice-versa.  So if you can understand why it's someone's PERSONAL favorite, go no further...there is no definitive BEST system for EVERYONE.  That's why it's fun to bicker about it...but there's never going to be a "right answer".

Johnson73

Postby Johnson73 » April 11th, 2006, 10:14 pm

[QUOTE=Shazapp][QUOTE=Johnson73]I don't want to make the Dreamcast fans here mad (I know there are a lot of them), but I can't see why so many people think it is the best system of all time.  It's a great system, and I can understand why it would be somebody's personal favorite.  If you were to get 20 or 30 of its best games, you would have an awesome game library.  But I think if you want to determine what the best system of all time is, you have to look at the big picture. [/QUOTE]

What it ALWAYS comes down to is an opinion...and mine's no better than anyone elses and vice-versa.  So if you can understand why it's someone's PERSONAL favorite, go no further...there is no definitive BEST system for EVERYONE.  That's why it's fun to bicker about it...but there's never going to be a "right answer".
[/QUOTE]

Exactly, but you'll notice that I'm not debating the fact that something could be anyone's personal favorite.  I was responding to the claim that the DC is the greatest system ever.  Obviously, there no factual way to determine what the best system ever is.  However, if someone is going to say that something is the best of something, another person should be able to debate that opinion. 

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » April 12th, 2006, 7:16 am

The DC is my joint favourite machine of all time but it is a sad fact that a LOT of its best games have been converted to other systems or seen improved sequals come out on the new gen.

Return to “Modern Gaming”