Conn

Rumored PS3 Price (Got $736 to Spare?)

Postby Conn » April 8th, 2006, 6:16 pm

RPGs that use multiple disks could.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » April 8th, 2006, 6:32 pm

[QUOTE=bluemonkey]

SSX Blue Ray is superior to DVD so why do you call it garbage?

[/QUOTE]
I share SSX's belief on this one, but it has very little to do with gaming at all.  Blue Ray and HDDVD are, primarily, movie formats that are being pushed on the public unnecesssarily.  It's an attempt by the big companies to produce a format that only they are ready to, and able to affordably, produce.  They're trying to convince us it's necesary so we'll buy it rather than the $35 no name DVD players.  DVD players are being produced and sold just too cheaply for profit margins at places like Sony (who could care less, like all companies, about consumers actually getting a good price on products) We need it less than we've needed any upgrade in movie viewing technology yet and Sony is trying to make it the future format by putting it in their PS3.  It'll be a long time before we need that capacity for games, but we'll pay for it just the same so that Sony can reclaim the "home video" market and make an ass load of money from us paying more for a format they've convinced us is somehow better for us.  That's why I'm glad the 360 and Revolution (last I heard), the two systems I wanted in the first place, were going with DVD.  Speak to me about a new format when it offers me a real upgrade at an affordable price.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 8th, 2006, 11:30 pm

[QUOTE=Paul Campbell]Blue Ray holds more data than DVD, but that doesn't mean it is going to help the games be any better.  I consider it garbage in this case because I can't see how it really helps the games be any better, considering Sony is most definitely pushing it with the PS3 to help the format's chances in the non-gaming world, where it is in a major war with HDDVD.  Sony is hoping the PS3 will be the launching pad for Blu-Ray, so they are pushing it hard, whether or not it will help the games.  Sure the disks will have increased capacity, but the question is, will the games NEED this capacity.
[/QUOTE]

I think Paul and Atarifever are correct.  Sony is trying to artificially generate demand for the high-def DVD format by delivering it with the PS3 and automatically creating a huge base.  I have a plasma TV, and my DVDs look incredible on it. I have no desire to "upgrade" my DVD collection.  I know Blue-ray would be a potential gold mine for Sony, but I'm really not interested, and I think most consumers feel the same way.  Looks like Sony is poised for a big fall.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » April 9th, 2006, 12:28 am

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]  Looks like Sony is poised for a big fall.
[/QUOTE]
With the financial troubles the rest of the parts of their company are facing they can't afford for the PS3 to not be a success.  The poor Playstation line is carrying that whole bloated company on it's back.

By the way, I've recently been converted into a linux user (and am so happy with the experience I'm certain I'll start wearing penguin shirts soon) and am a little disappointed that a system that I have no interest in in other respects will be running linux.  That's actually pretty cool.

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » April 9th, 2006, 6:51 am

VGC that is because plasma screens are notorious for havign poor resolutions.

As LCDs get bigger high def is going to become more and more important.  Even on normal TVs you can see the limitations of the DVD format, especially when viewed on LCD PC monitors.

More space = more, higher res textures which has to be a good thing.  Or more music tracks.

sega saturn x

Postby sega saturn x » April 9th, 2006, 11:11 am

It would seem my ideas on sonys new format have already been stated.  The fact of the matter is this new format will appeal ONLY to picture quality/sound quality whores who need the biggest and best.  Most normal people won't give a damn.

Return to “Modern Gaming”