Rumored PS3 Price (Got $736 to Spare?)

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
J.M. Vargas

Postby J.M. Vargas » April 6th, 2006, 6:42 pm

[url]http://gear.ign.com/articles/700/700258p1.html[/url]

Again, these are educated guesses.  Come May 8th Sony will reveal the final price at E3 which should be closer to the magical $499-500 price point most consumers expect to pay for a cutting-edge videogame system.  Either that or Sony is going to load the box with extras (coupons, Blue Ray flicks, a second controller, free game, etc.) and try to pass this as a killer bundle.  Hey, nobody ever said this hobby was cheap!

Anayo1

Postby Anayo1 » April 6th, 2006, 8:10 pm

Five years from now I'll be picking one of these babies up at a thrift store for thirty bucks.

Booyah! XP

Michael Danehy

Postby Michael Danehy » April 6th, 2006, 10:20 pm

[QUOTE=Anayo]Five years from now I'll be picking one of these babies up at a thrift store for thirty bucks.

Booyah! XP
[/QUOTE]

Haha, you can't even get PS2 for that cheap yet.

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » April 7th, 2006, 4:50 am

But you will be able to soon after the PS3 comes out.....  Ha ha.

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » April 7th, 2006, 9:41 am

I really can't imagine Sony selling it for more than $500.  Loss making is irrelevant compared to market share.

John Rowland

Postby John Rowland » April 7th, 2006, 3:03 pm

[QUOTE=Paul Campbell]But you will be able to soon after the PS3 comes out.....  Ha ha.
[/QUOTE]

That hasn't happened to the original Xbox yet.

sega saturn x

Postby sega saturn x » April 7th, 2006, 4:38 pm

Honestly even if the system was only 400$ I wouldn't be all that interested.  It seems like sony is going to push this blue ray garabge as hard as they can, and I have no desire to change from DVDs, thanks you very much.  So paying more for a format I don't want anyway sounds like bull to me.  Some of the games do look cool though, so maybe I'll get one in a few years after blue rays fail and I can pick it up for cheap.

wur1

Postby wur1 » April 7th, 2006, 4:53 pm

[QUOTE=John Rowland]

[QUOTE=Paul Campbell]But you will be able to soon after the PS3 comes out.....  Ha ha.
[/QUOTE]

That hasn't happened to the original Xbox yet.

[/QUOTE]

I hope this harkens the end of the PS's dominance, so franchises like Metal Gear can return to NIntendo systems.

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » April 8th, 2006, 9:11 am

SSX Blue Ray is superior to DVD so why do you call it garbage?

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » April 8th, 2006, 4:06 pm

Blue Ray holds more data than DVD, but that doesn't mean it is going to help the games be any better.  I consider it garbage in this case because I can't see how it really helps the games be any better, considering Sony is most definitely pushing it with the PS3 to help the format's chances in the non-gaming world, where it is in a major war with HDDVD.  Sony is hoping the PS3 will be the launching pad for Blu-Ray, so they are pushing it hard, whether or not it will help the games.  Sure the disks will have increased capacity, but the question is, will the games NEED this capacity.

Return to “Modern Gaming”