Xbox 360 VGA adapter

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
jbltecnicspro1

Xbox 360 VGA adapter

Postby jbltecnicspro1 » January 3rd, 2010, 4:14 pm

A few days ago, I decided to hook up my Xbox 360 to my computer monitor using the VGA adapter, and to my surprise, my monitor's native resolution (1400 x 900) showed up as being an option (as well as a bunch of other 16:10 resolutions).  I immediately selected it, and now all the games finally display their correct aspect ratio (there are small black strips at the top and bottom of my monitor, but I don't care).  I have no idea when they updated this, but it's about time!

I bought the adapter in the summer of 2007 hoping that I would be able to hook it to my computer monitor in my dorm room (for cheap HD).  And to my dismay, all the 16:10 resolutions (1280 x 768, etc) stretched the game to fit the screen, causing everything to look really damn akward; and I should note that my monitor's resolution wasn't even an option, though selecting 1920 x 1080 (1080p) was.  Man, was I pissed.  The VGA adapter SHOULD have been the ultimate adapter, allowing people to forgo spending the money on an HDTV, but this severe issue put the adapter's usefulness to a screetching halt. 

Well, I'm happy to announce that the 360 VGA adapter is now what it should have been all along, and if some of you guys were looking to get a 360 but don't have an HDTV, then this is probably what you'll want to get. 

*Rant Below - you don't have to read this*
And as a side note, why can't developers make their games support different resolutions?  The only game that I have that switches its aspect ratio is Halo 3 - which will pretty much play at any resolution thrown at it (it would play at 1280 x 1024 - the resolution of my old CRT monitor).  It isn't hard to implement, and though not many people would take advantage of it, the people who would sure will appreciate it.

Return to “Modern Gaming”