Wii surpases 360's Life to Date game sales.

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
steer

Postby steer » January 20th, 2010, 6:17 pm

Well, Wii has been selling more software than 360 for several months now, but the year 'head start' has now been surpassed...

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/26856/Analysis_Wii_Overtakes_Xbox_360_LTD_Software_Sales.php

360 had 164 million in 50 months, Wii had 175 million in 38 months. Avereging 4.6 million a month for Wii  compared to 3.28 million a month for 360. Amazing how the numbers never seem to match the steryotpes, you know? - the 'casual' who buys Wii for Wii Sports and then puts it in the closet?

Here a chart -

PS3 is now where Wii was at in its first year. Interesting.

The industry as a whole shows a decrease for this year compared to last :

Apparently then, handhelds have dropped off...

Here is the pie as divided amongst the platform holders for last year:

Sometimes facts are nice to have a general idea of the big picture. And remember Sony has 3 platforms on this chart, Nintendo 2, MS but one. This gives a clear picture of how Sony has been weakened by the PS3.

BanjoPickles1

Postby BanjoPickles1 » January 23rd, 2010, 4:21 am

For the longest time, I was starting to think the PS3 would languish in last place but I've been changing my mind lately. For starters, the PS3 is only 6 million away from the 360 and has just recently toppled them in Europe! So, it would appear that the only location where 360 has the sales advantage is in America and even here the PS3 has really taken off since the price drop and introduction of the slim model. It's not that I have anything against the 360, but I do have to wonder how badly the RRoD impacted their reputation.

Interesting read, nonetheless. I never would have guessed that the Wii has sold that much in software. Then again, I guess when you have that many games selling 10 million or more, it shouldn't come as that big of a shock! It is pretty amazing that what is somewhat considered a sales disappointment(i.e. Super Mario Galaxy) still sold better than Gamecube's best selling game(Smash Bros Melee)!

It makes me wonder how many other multi-million selling games are in store for the Wii! I saw that Punch Out is on the verge of selling a million, which is awesome and hopefully brings us closer to a full-fledged sequel!

Thebawwradar

Postby Thebawwradar » January 23rd, 2010, 8:57 am

How come I'm not surprised by this?

Return to “Modern Gaming”