PS3 Retails for $500-600, Controller Copies Wii

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » May 9th, 2006, 5:01 pm

[QUOTE=Boston]

I said I read a transcript but didn't see the video. If you have a link that would be much appreciated. Also, what were the new franchises?

[/QUOTE]
Some kind of truck racing thng, where you steer with the Wiimote, something called Operation Hammar (fantasy setting; you have a big battle hammar), and something else I forget.
Go to Gamespot's main page and scroll down.  The guy even says something lke "We can't just rest on old franchises, so we already have three new ones".

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » May 9th, 2006, 5:33 pm

The last new francise was something called "Disaster". Forgot what kind of game it was, though.

sega saturn x

Postby sega saturn x » May 9th, 2006, 5:52 pm

[QUOTE=Boston]

Did anybody see the Nintendo conference? I read a transcript and was unimpressed. It was all spin-offs except for Red Steel. I was wondering if they showed off the wiimote (that's what they were calling it, not me). Of course, I think tomorrow people at E-3 get to use the wiimote with some demos so I guess we'll get some feedback then.

I actually loved Sony's presentation (actually, the English guy needs help, I hate when people go "UMMMMMMMMM" throughout presentations) although the displays were impressive but not overly so. I love the fact that soon I will be able to download PS1 games to my PSP among other cool features. I think it will be cool to use it in conjunction with the PS3 such as a rear view mirror with some racing games. I also like the idea of the Sony online community.

It's still too early to tell. I could care less about the warhawk demo. I can't wait for November!!!!

Boston

[/QUOTE]

Thats kind of funny since a lot of people have been saying how increadibly unimpressive it was.  You can even tell the crowd was totally underwhelmed by what they were seeing.  I've read several people saying that the sony release was a good guide for how microsoft and nintendo shouldn't run theirs.  All conjecture I know but these are intended to gas up the hype mobile and judging by the reaction, sonys stalling a bit.

Boston

Postby Boston » May 9th, 2006, 7:09 pm

Hey Saturn,

You are right. I am impressed with the PS3 and the PSP but to be honest, I wasn't fired up watching the presentation. I caught a glimpse of the Nintendo roll out on G4(really bad coverage, but more on that later) and it was pretty cool. At least they were trying to fire up the crowd. The games though....I guess I will have to wait and use the controller. I thought they were showing Metroid prime from the Cube when they were actually showing the new Metroid game for the Wii...pretty average to say the least.

Boston

Leo Ames

Postby Leo Ames » May 9th, 2006, 7:21 pm

So was the Sony and Microsoft press conferences. Very unimpressive as a whole. Only high points I've seen has been Yoshi's Island 2 being announced for the DS.

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » May 9th, 2006, 7:38 pm

The general consensus over at Gamespot seems to be MS was the most impressive, followed by Nintendo then Sony.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » May 9th, 2006, 9:53 pm

[QUOTE=bluemonkey]

The general consensus over at Gamespot seems to be MS was the most impressive, followed by Nintendo then Sony.

[/QUOTE]
I was impressed by the Microsoft one.  I personally thought the Nintendo one was more interesting, but that's hardly the fault of Microsoft.  After all, the poor guys already have a real system with real games on the market and have taken it through one Christmas already, and were talking phase 2 stuff.  It's hard to make that as exciting as freaky new stuff that has been kept under raps for over a year now.  In any case, what Microsoft was saying was mostly stuff I wanted to hear.  They have more intersting games coming, they have more classic games to download, and they've just ensured live is the undisputed online king again.  I mean, if I understood correctly, downloading, say, Dig Dug over live gives it to you for a windows diven phone and any computer running Vista as well, and vice versa.  Also, earning points on a cell phone or computer game goes towards your Live account (again, if I understood it correctly).  Online isn't really my thing, but that does sound pretty cool.  For announcements about a product that's already been on the market for awhile, I'd say that's pretty impressive.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » May 9th, 2006, 11:02 pm

Hey, so the 360 is getting the next GTA on the same day as the PS3 is.  That's the first time they've gotten it at the same time as Sony.  Anone think this is a hugh deal?  When I think Playstation 2, I always think GTA.  Sure Xbox had it too, but the delay always made it seem like it was mainly a Playstation game (even if it did look a bit better on the Xbox).  This is almost the same as the Playstation losing an important exclusive in my opinion.  The Sony generation loves GTA, for the most part, and having GTA no longer basically mean Playstation seems like a big deal to me.  Anyone else thing this is going to be very important.

sega saturn x

Postby sega saturn x » May 9th, 2006, 11:05 pm

The only thing I saw from microsoft that looked neat was to human the rest was bleh.  I'm sorry but I only feel apathy towards halo 3 and it's ilk.  Sony on the other hand had some cool looking games while the confrence itself was pretty pathetic.  I'm still looking forward to that new insomniac shooter and war hawks.  One thing about ps3 games you can say is they are very pretty.  But I'm just all around pissed off about the controller they went with the same lousy dual shock I have hated for the past 10 years and to top it off they are throwing in an obviously half assed motion sensor.

frodo

Postby frodo » May 10th, 2006, 3:04 am

You are one of the few then,because the general consensus is that sony dropped the ball and MSFT walked away with it..

Delivering a way more expensive system with graphics and games that don't look any better in gameplay or graphics.

Return to “Modern Gaming”