Who will actually buy a PS3?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » May 29th, 2006, 12:15 pm

SSX those games offer new gameplay not seen before though.

My earlier point was that many people unfortunately base their opinions more on outside influences than the games themselves.  Talking about innovation, when was the last time Nintendo came up with a new IP?

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » May 29th, 2006, 12:23 pm

[QUOTE=bluemonkey]

Just wanted to say the 5 most innovative games at E3 in my view were, in no order:

Dead Rising

Assassin's Creed

Spore

Supreme Commander

Gears of War

None of those possible on the Wii.

I don't really care who wins the console war but I do worry if gaming takes the route of the Wii.  I think it is a bad idea to have the controller deciding the way the game plays.  In my opinion that stifles innovation.

[/QUOTE]
*sigh*
I don't think I've ever seen someone work so hard to convince themself that they shouldn't like something.

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » May 29th, 2006, 2:05 pm

[QUOTE=bluemonkey]

This is the kind of thing I am talking about.  People are so superficial about "innovation."  Read the previews on those titles and you'll see the innovative gameplay that they are creating.

[/QUOTE]

All I asked was for a reason why those two games (Gears of War and Dead Rising) were considered innovative.  I took your advice and read previews of both games...Dead Rising is anything but innovative.  It is a fairly standard hack n slash game complete with a ripped off Dawn of the Dead setting.  I LOVE zombie games so if I owned a 360 I would at least rent it, but I would never call this game innovative.  Check out this preview to see if I'm crazy...

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/701/701634p1.html

Gears of War on the other does look really cool.  The whole cover system seems like it would be a great new gameplay twist and I can't wait to try it out.  While it does have some innovative gameplay its still just a shooter with a new twist.  Gears of War has been getting lots of hype and I just hope that it doesn't fail.  Microsoft needs another killer app besides Halo and this might be what the doc order. 

I have one final question...why do people root for systems/companies like thier favorite sports teams?  To me this doesn't make any sense.  As a gamer shouldn't you embrace anything that comes down the pipeline that piques your interest?  Would anyone be really happy if Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo dropped out of the videogame market?  I always try to get every system that is released because I simply hate missing out on good games.  I will own a PS3, 360 and Nintendo Wii in the next 1-3 years.  I will never root for one more than the other...I just hope that truly stellar games keep coming out.  As a gamer its all I can ask for.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » May 29th, 2006, 2:07 pm

[QUOTE=bluemonkey]

SSX those games offer new gameplay not seen before though.

My earlier point was that many people unfortunately base their opinions more on outside influences than the games themselves.  Talking about innovation, when was the last time Nintendo came up with a new IP?

[/QUOTE]

Haven't we already had this arguement too many times for you to feel the need to say that.  I didn't agree with you the first million times that you said Nintendo hasn't created any new IP and I certainly won't agree after they show three new Nintendo IPs for the Wii at E3. 

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » May 29th, 2006, 2:13 pm

[QUOTE=JustLikeHeaven]
I have one final question...why do people root for systems/companies like thier favorite sports teams?  To me this doesn't make any sense.  As a gamer shouldn't you embrace anything that comes down the pipeline that piques your interest?  Would anyone be really happy if Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo dropped out of the videogame market?  I always try to get every system that is released because I simply hate missing out on good games.  I will own a PS3, 360 and Nintendo Wii in the next 1-3 years.  I will never root for one more than the other...I just hope that truly stellar games keep coming out.  As a gamer its all I can ask for.
[/QUOTE]

I guess it depends on if you think one company might lead the game industry in a completely wrong direction for you.  I know I don't like the idea of $659 (Canadian) systems and me as a gamer paying extra money for Sony to push a new format on me that I don't want to support.  Thus, I have to hope they do poorly, or the market starts to follow their example and I do lose out.

I guess that's why people get worked up over stuff like this. 

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » May 29th, 2006, 4:06 pm

By the way Atari I'm sorry but what were those three IPs?  I missed that post.

sega saturn x

Postby sega saturn x » May 29th, 2006, 7:45 pm

[QUOTE=bluemonkey]

[/QUOTE]

Blah blah blah Mr. anti nintendo.  Your same old tricks and complaints are getting mighty old now.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » May 29th, 2006, 10:09 pm

[QUOTE=bluemonkey]

[/QUOTE]
Project Hammar, Excite Trucks (or whatver that one was called), and a thrid one I can never remember the name of.  That's a pretty big list before a console even hits really.

Funkmaster V

Postby Funkmaster V » May 30th, 2006, 12:51 am

Why in the world do posts like this turn into a Nintendo vs. Sony debate EVERY time.

Just like this last time around, all three new systems look great. Most of us here will own all three at one point probably. Each system will have its own Killer App that you cant live without.

Word.

FUNK

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » May 30th, 2006, 8:06 am

[QUOTE=Atarifever]and a thrid one I can never remember the name of.  [/QUOTE]

Disaster: Day of Crisis.

And yeah, I never remember the name either. Had to google it right now.

Return to “Modern Gaming”