Who will actually buy a PS3?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » May 27th, 2006, 3:45 pm

[QUOTE=bluemonkey]I really hate the way people keep talking about the Wii being innovative.  It's the same old story of old tech being rebranded and people claiming it to be th eMesiah.  Let's just hope this doesn't do to console gaming what the same approach did to the arcades.[/QUOTE]

I wish it were possible to put into words how sick I am of hearing that lame arguement made by people who want the Wii to be a bad idea. 
Just the words "old tech" and "gimmick" make me want to vomit now.   Yes, I'm aware of your  lame arguments that say, free hand control was on a failed system before, that motion sensing was in a handful of arcade games and a failed microsoft computer controller, and that light guns have been used before.  I still fail to see how putting that into a controller and banking your whole company on it is not innovative. 
The same arguement was used when the analog stick came out for the N64.  People would dig through the ancient tomes of gaming and point to the 5200 and say "see it isn't an innovative idea, the 5200 had it first".  I guess I missed the part where putting something into your product that had been a complete joke in the market before and actually making it work was not innovative. 
I guess innovation is things like extra storage space on your media and slightly bigger screens on handhelds.  Also, if you think adding perephrials to arcade games is what killed arcades, you need to do a little research.  That's the only reason there even still are arcades.  Hom consoles killed arcades.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » May 27th, 2006, 3:49 pm

[QUOTE=Boston]

Anyway, all of you that are hoping that this is the end of Sony are out of your minds. The PS3 will sell well enough. There are plenty of people lined up to get it already.

Boston

[/QUOTE]
Yeah, and the N64 will own the market because of Nintendo's stranglehold and the fact that there happens to be a line for the first 3 million machines. 
Maybe you'll understand when you have a couple of defated companies you remember too.   I'm not saying it will fail, but none of what you've said means it won't or that people who remember the previous losers are out of their minds.

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » May 27th, 2006, 4:32 pm

I guess my problem is that a lot of people talking about the Wii have an attitude of superiority because they are connoisseurs and radicals by buying into this whole innovative revolution because Nintendo are punk. Clash for life! Screw the corporations, blah blah.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » May 27th, 2006, 5:32 pm

WOW, people certainly are passonite about this issue. Depending on the lead time, I'm still betting there will be a price reduction on PS3. I believe the PSone was originally planned to cost between $100-$150 more than it actually did at launch.

Does anyone know the "official" release dates of the Wii and the PS3? My aging computer can only get on a limited number of sites, so I am still in the dark on this....

And will PS3 come in more than one "flovour" like the X360? A cheaper, scaled down model? Hmmm!

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » May 27th, 2006, 6:46 pm

[QUOTE=bluemonkey]I guess my problem is that a lot of people talking about the Wii have an attitude of superiority because they are connoisseurs and radicals by buying into this whole innovative revolution because Nintendo are punk. Clash for life! Screw the corporations, blah blah.[/QUOTE]
Well you're probably right there.  It's like Marc Ecko clothes.  If you are buying into hype written by a company to sell you a thing you don't need to survive, and you like it so much you put down another product, it is safe to say you are a consumer of products like the rest of us.  Even an innovative game playing console is still just a console that plays games.  No one saves the world by buying a wii.

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » May 29th, 2006, 7:35 am

Just wanted to say the 5 most innovative games at E3 in my view were, in no order:

Dead Rising

Assassin's Creed

Spore

Supreme Commander

Gears of War

None of those possible on the Wii.

I don't really care who wins the console war but I do worry if gaming takes the route of the Wii.  I think it is a bad idea to have the controller deciding the way the game plays.  In my opinion that stifles innovation.

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » May 29th, 2006, 9:50 am

[QUOTE=bluemonkey]

Just wanted to say the 5 most innovative games at E3 in my view were, in no order:

Dead Rising

Assassin's Creed

Spore

Supreme Commander

Gears of War

I don't really care who wins the console war but I do worry if gaming takes the route of the Wii.  I think it is a bad idea to have the controller deciding the way the game plays.  In my opinion that stifles innovation.

[/QUOTE]

I'm not trying to attack your opinion here, but how is dead rising innovative... I have seen a few videos of the game and it looks pathetic. 

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/deadrising/media.html

Click on the video labeled - Dead Rising Gameplay Movie 2 - its basically a guy running around poking pratically immobile zombies with a stick.  Not exactly what I would call innovative.

Also Gears of War looks like pretty much every other shooter ever made.  Please try to explain to me how it is one of the most innovative games at E3.

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » May 29th, 2006, 10:06 am

This is the kind of thing I am talking about.  People are so superficial about "innovation."  Read the previews on those titles and you'll see the innovative gameplay that they are creating.

sega saturn x

Postby sega saturn x » May 29th, 2006, 10:14 am

Come on guys everybody knows true innovation is making the same stuff year after year.  Where have you all been?  I actually thought the "nintendo is punk" thing was funny as hell.  NOBODY in the free world thinks that, the truth you don't want to admit is people think the games look FUN.

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » May 29th, 2006, 10:27 am

[QUOTE=bluemonkey]
Dead Rising
Assassin's Creed
Spore
Supreme Commander
Gears of War

[/QUOTE]

With the possible exception of Spore, I don't see any reason why those games wuldn't be possible on the Wii. How about an explanation?

Return to “Modern Gaming”