Hopes for mario kart 3D?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Leo1

Hopes for mario kart 3D?

Postby Leo1 » March 28th, 2011, 8:23 pm

a, my point is we're now being graded two different ways. Bronze, silver, and gold (Also have heard of diamond and platinum medals) are how you're graded for accomplishing your goals.

But now, you're also graded on how well you accomplished each of those medals with a certain number of stars. So now, just achieving a gold medal in a certain event isn't necessarily good enough since you're also graded on how well you performed while getting that medal outside of the requirements for the gold medal.

And I'm not fond of that system in the least. It should be a bit more bearable in this game since I guess the star rankings are linked to points totals you earn based off your performance, so you aren't completely in the dark on just what you have to do to get a certain star ranking like in some of the latest Mario Kart titles.

I just don't see the need for grading the player with two different systems.

snakeboy1

Hopes for mario kart 3D?

Postby snakeboy1 » March 28th, 2011, 10:18 pm

[QUOTE=Leo]a, my point is we're now being graded two different ways. Bronze, silver, and gold (Also have heard of diamond and platinum medals) are how you're graded for accomplishing your goals.

But now, you're also graded on how well you accomplished each of those medals with a certain number of stars. So now, just achieving a gold medal in a certain event isn't necessarily good enough since you're also graded on how well you performed while getting that medal outside of the requirements for the gold medal.

And I'm not fond of that system in the least. It should be a bit more bearable in this game since I guess the star rankings are linked to points totals you earn based off your performance, so you aren't completely in the dark on just what you have to do to get a certain star ranking like in some of the latest Mario Kart titles.

I just don't see the need for grading the player with two different systems.
[/QUOTE]

Interesting. I never realized this was such a big deal to some people. I mean, if I get first place but only get a D rank, it doesn't really bother me. I cry for maybe 5 or 10 minutes, but I quickly get over it.

Seriously though, I never even put a whole lot of thought into the rankings. Almost seems like a non-issue to me.

Leo1

Hopes for mario kart 3D?

Postby Leo1 » March 28th, 2011, 10:34 pm

All I ever suggested was it was an annoyance that I hope is gone with Mario Kart 3DS. So don't blow my criticism of it out of proportion. It's not a huge problem, but it is an annoying one.

It's been enough to keep me away from attempting to finish some of the recent Mario Kart releases. I'm not likely to be inclined to tear my hair out trying to get gold on 150cc in Mario Kart Wii with the crazy items and AI. Especially if I manage to win all the races after a lot of frusturation and I'm not even guaranteed of getting the top ranking.

It's just an artificial way to extend a game. I'm not losing sleep over it, but I certainly don't like it.

steer

Hopes for mario kart 3D?

Postby steer » March 28th, 2011, 10:49 pm

I would say MKWii does not have crazy AI - not at all. I just wonder how good people are at item management and strategy...

3 starring the cup means you have mastered those tracks  - that is all it means. Race the locked ghost racers - are you truly as good as you think you are? Complaining about items in Mario Kart is like complaining about salt in the ocean - what did you expect?

Leo1

Hopes for mario kart 3D?

Postby Leo1 » March 28th, 2011, 10:53 pm

All I know is I'm not alone in agreement that Mario Kart's AI is the worst (Or perhaps most extreme is a better wording for it if someone enjoys the feature) implimentation of the catch up feature seen yet that artifically keeps races close.

And I've seen many complain that there are too many items that require too little skill to use, such as the bullet bill rocket, the blue shell, and the giant mushroom. The POW Block is an example of an item I like. It's powerful, but it can also be countered. Or you get bombarded with them in single player. I've been literally hit out of the lead with a blue shell and been kept stationary by 3-4 red shells until the field passed me by.

I've actually knocked a AI character out with a red shell and been passed 2-3 seconds later by the same character in a area where there were no item boxes available to get a speed boost from...

All in all, single player was so annoying that it made it an easy decision to concentrate on the excellent splitscreen/online multiplayer modes.

And I never said one way or another how good I am. I've won my share of online races and was competitive and typically in the hunt for the victory, so I was happy before the game started to wear thin on me after 40 hours or so of play.

If you ever want to compare, trade friend's codes someday. Might be fun to get a VGC Mario Kart Wii night going sometime and see how we all compare. I'm sure we'd have enough players here to get a pretty full field if the interest is there.

snakeboy1

Hopes for mario kart 3D?

Postby snakeboy1 » March 28th, 2011, 11:06 pm

Well, I didn't mean to blow it out of proportion. Half of what I said was just a joke. Though I will admit it does seem like a non-issue to me. I just basically ignore the grade rankings, so they don't really annoy me. Well, I guess by that statement, I suppose you may be right that they should just take them out of the game. I'll admit that they don't add much, and I wouldn't miss them if they were gone.

David

Hopes for mario kart 3D?

Postby David » March 28th, 2011, 11:07 pm

I wish there was an option to turn it off.  If I'm playing with my family or girlfriend I don't mind the rubber band AI and actually prefer it.  It's a lot more fun for other people who don't game very often if there are things like the bullet bill to even things out.  However, if I'm playing alone it's absolutely terrible.  There's been multiple times where I've been in the lead during the final lap only to be blasted by a blue shell.

steer

Hopes for mario kart 3D?

Postby steer » March 28th, 2011, 11:25 pm

[QUOTE=Leo]

If you ever want to compare, trade friend's codes someday. Might be fun to get a VGC Mario Kart Wii night going sometime and see how we all compare. I'm sure we'd have enough players here to get a pretty full field if the interest is there.
[/QUOTE]

Its on like Donkey Kong.

Leo - you set up the topic - and The Mario Kart Guru - you HAVE to play!

Also, I will put up $10 VC/WW whatever for the winner - so lets set a date - weekends are best for yours truly.

Blueguy93

Hopes for mario kart 3D?

Postby Blueguy93 » April 30th, 2011, 1:10 am

My bad. I didn't realize there was another thread. Turns out I already posted in it!

Like I said before, there should be a stunt mode, and more shortcuts.

Herschie1

Hopes for mario kart 3D?

Postby Herschie1 » May 17th, 2011, 6:56 am

No coins! I HATED the coins in the original and Super Circuit. 

One thing that would be cool is a tiebreaker race for when you are tied after a Grand Prix. As is stands, tie goes to the first player. But that's not right, they should have some way to break the tie. 

Return to “Modern Gaming”