What are the Wii's advantages over the competition

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Blueguy93

Postby Blueguy93 » May 24th, 2011, 4:33 pm

I just discovered that recently this forum has been dominated by talks of downloadable content and 360 and PS3 systems. What about the Wii?

It's true that the Wii's graphics aren't close to the PS3 and 360 systems, and the online gameplay isn't as good, but what does the Wii stride in that the competition can't?

1. Innovation: The controls for the Wii are innovative (okay, they aren't the first times someone has made motion controls) in that it's brought them to mainstream popularity. The Kinect and Move were simply made to cash in on the motion control phenomenon, though the Kinect innovated on this by letting you be the controller. The Move is basically a Wiimote with a colored bulb (which actually looks cool in my opinion).

2. No downloadable content added to physical games: This is the case for 360 and PS3 games, but I don't see much of it on the Wii. It doesn't seem like the developers are holding back on the Wii. The downloadable stuff is actually separate.

3. Appeals more to Old School Gamers: While the PS3 and 360 are trying to appeal to the new school gamers (which is fine by me), the Wii has a lot of arcade style games that are simple to play and a joy to behold.

4. Lots of controllers: The Wii has a lot of controllers and add ons; the wiimote, the nun chuck, the wheel, the classic controller (and the pro edition), the motion plus, the jacket, and tons of third party controls.

5. Full Manuals: This might seem odd but compared to the short PS3 and 360 manuals, the Wii's manuals are big in length (that's what she said) and colorful (there are a few exceptions *cough EA*). When I get stuck on certain games, I often look at the manuals, thank goodness.

6. Quality First Party support: While Microsoft and Sony have excellent third party support, Nintendo has excellent first party support. Quality games such as Super Mario Galaxy's 1 and 2, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Super Paper Mario, Mario Kart Wii, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Zelda: Twilight Princess, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Wii Sports and Excitebots: Trick Racing prove how Nintendo takes a simple concept and makes it go a long way.

7. Bigger focus on Local Multiplayer: Unlike Microsoft and Sony, Nintendo doesn't really have quality online multiplayer (Mario Kart Wii is an obvious exception), but it seems to have a deeper focus on local multiplayer. Games like NBA Jam, Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Geometry Wars Galaxies are great fun with one or more friends. And without the annoying prompts to go online!

8. Gamecube Controller Ports: Yes, not only can you play Gamecube games on the Wii via the backwards compatibility, but you can also use the original Gamecube controllers to play them! Sweet!

What do you guys think are the Wii's strong points?

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » May 24th, 2011, 4:52 pm

Better reliability. The 360 and PS3 are faulty systems. I know that people, sometimes on this board, have reported technical issues with their Wii, but broken Wiis seem much less common than broken HD consoles. There's been only one Wii so far, there wasn't need for an hardware revision, Ninty know how it's done...

The close to perfect backwards compatibility with Gamecube is also a big plus, too bad we can't say the same about the 360/PS3.

Finally, you're right about the lack of DLC, which can be seen as a good or bad thing, depending on perspective. I personnally appreciate how Wii games require neither updates nor installs.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 24th, 2011, 5:07 pm

I would add that it's a very quiet system which doesn't tend to overheat.

Most of its games have a pick-up-and-play quality that 360/PS3 games lack.

I like that fact that it doesn't try to shove the on-line features down your throat.

JesusSaves

Postby JesusSaves » May 24th, 2011, 5:11 pm

[QUOTE=Oltobaz]Better reliability. The 360 and PS3 are faulty systems. I know that people, sometimes on this board, have reported technical issues with their Wii, but broken Wiis seem much less common than broken HD consoles. There's been only one Wii so far, there wasn't need for an hardware revision, Ninty know how it's done...
[/QUOTE]
I know I've said this before, but my Wii has broken at least 3 times now (you know its bad when you start to lose count), unlike the Gamecube, N64, and SNES which I have never heard of breaking. And concerning hardware revisions, the DS has about 4 different models.

[QUOTE]6. Quality First Party support: While Microsoft and Sony have excellent third party support, Nintendo has excellent first party support.[/QUOTE]
The problem is that if you don't like Nintendo's games, you're screwed (*points to myself*).

Greisha1

Postby Greisha1 » May 24th, 2011, 6:10 pm

[QUOTE=Blueguy93]
4. Lots of controllers: The Wii has a lot of controllers and add ons; the wiimote, the nun chuck, the wheel, the classic controller (and the pro edition), the motion plus, the jacket, and tons of third party controls.

[/QUOTE]

I don't necessarily think this is a good thing. Basically, Nintendo and a boatload of third-party are able to make money by essentially selling you plastic. Put your Wiimote in a Wheel! In a gun! In a tennis racket! In a baseball bat! (etc. ...)

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » May 24th, 2011, 6:34 pm

Jesus, your Wii broke three times, I'm sorry to hear that. The fact remains Wiis tend to be more reliable than the competition. It might be less durable than the
previous Nintendo systems you mentioned though, I wouldn't be surprised.

As for the DS itself, the other versions weren't designed to address a reliability issue, the same way the Game Boy Pocket, the GBA SP or the SNES Junior weren't. These variations have pros, and sometimes cons, when compared to the original systems. I mean, it's pretty cool to have all these DS around, but it's a safe bet most original DS still function fine. I personnally think the DS Lite is better in many ways than the "DS Fat", but we didn't need that as much as, say, the newer 360 models that are supposed to have better built quality than the original.

JWK1

Postby JWK1 » May 24th, 2011, 10:16 pm

While JesusSaves seems to have a point about Nintendo releasing a lot of versions of the DS, it's important to note two things.

1.  There are different colors, but only one Wii.  The Big N haven't needed to update it due to technical problems.

2.  Ask yourself if Microsoft isn't doing the same thing: 360 S, Pro, Premium, Core, Arcade, Elite, Super Elite...  Sound familiar?  Wikipedia has no less than 5 separate X 360 models, yet everyone harps on Nintendo releasing 4 DS's.  Who cares?  The newer models are usually a good entry level for gamers who don't have past models.  Why would I get angry with Microsoft for releasing the "S" when it's proven to be more reliable than past models?  I was happy to have my pick of DS models.  DS lite had a screen that was too dark, didn't care about access to DSiware, and the bigger screen though nice wasn't necessary.  DS Lite for me!  Are options really a bad thing?

Josh

Postby Josh » May 24th, 2011, 11:43 pm

I've harped about the 3rd party lack of titles but really a Wii owner isn't missing out on much. You can download stuff like Bionic Commando Rearmed to your laptop and play SSF4 on a PC. If you don't care for 1st person shooters or online gaming then the Wii is the route to go. I wish it displayed in 780p but that's my only main gripe.

And yeah, I don't see any big deal with all the DS versions. It gives you choices at least.

I do like the fact that Wii games don't require updates. What if you don't have an internet connection? I guess I'm old school because I like to be able to have a plug and play system that only requires a little electricity. I just hate the recent draught of games and no Street Fighter. But hey, it doesn't get any better than SFII.  

Orion1

Postby Orion1 » May 25th, 2011, 12:09 am

[QUOTE=Josh]
I do like the fact that Wii games don't require updates. What if you don't have an internet connection? I guess I'm old school because I like to be able to have a plug and play system that only requires a little electricity. I just hate the recent draught of games and no Street Fighter. But hey, it doesn't get any better than SFII.  
[/QUOTE]

I seem to remember having to run a system update before playing certain Wii games.  It might have been Metroid Other M or Mario Galaxy 2.  I may be wrong.

Luke

Postby Luke » May 25th, 2011, 3:08 am

I think this thread is ridiculous. The Wii really doesn't have any advantages over the other consoles other than being more family and kid-friendly. If it did, it surely wouldn't be fading away so quickly, and Nintendo wouldn't be so eager to push their next console (which may have better online and dlc) out the door.

The Wii DOES NOT appeal more to old school gamers than new school. All the old school gamers are mostly in their 30's and 40's now and that's still the core market right now. That's why there's so much more focus on "mature" games on the PS3 & 360 systems - they're catering to that audience. Also, check XBLA and PSN, there are TONS of old school games on there to choose from.

By the way, I'd be curious to hear what these allegedly great "old school games" on the Wii are?

Nintendo has better first-party support? Well gee.. I hope so. Seeing as though their third-party is so weak and almost non-existent.

The Wii had more focus on local multiplayer? Well that's because that's all it really could do! Wii online wasn't setup for all the big online servers and all that. That's why their online is so limited and there's a huge lack of downloadable content - it was all done within Nintendo with no outside support.

The Wii had Gamecube ports? Um, maybe that's because the Wii was basically just a tweaked-out Gamecube? People from Nintendo have more or less even admitted that in interviews over the years.

The Wii is more reliable? In the beginning yes, but that's not true anymore. I haven't heard of any of the new PS3 Slims or Xbox 360 S's malfunctioning on a grand scale for any particular reason. I did hear about some overheating on PS3 Slim's recently but that supposedly had something to do with a latest firmware update or the L.A. Noire game.. or something.

Nintendo doesn't shove their online features down your throat? Again, maybe that's because they really didn't have any online features to begin with!? But I hear that might change with their next system.

Wii games didn't need updates? I own over 30 Xbox 360 games and none of them NEED an update. But it's nice knowing that that the option is there because.. surprise, updates are added to improve certain online and offline features. Hey, I'm sure there are PLENTY of Wii games that could have benefited from some patches and bonus content.

Return to “Modern Gaming”