Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon is out today

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
feilong801

Postby feilong801 » July 5th, 2011, 6:31 pm

Just a quick shameless self promo that Earth Defense Force Insect Armageddon is out today. It's a sequel to VGC favorite EDF 2017, and a game I worked quite extensively on when I was at Vicious Cycle. It is a lot of fun, I'd suggest checking it out!

MigAlley

Postby MigAlley » July 5th, 2011, 7:07 pm

This is one of the few games I am looking forward to this Summer. I liked the first one but it got old for me kind of fast. Hopefully this one has a bit more variety and much better achievements. Where are you working these days?

feilong801

Postby feilong801 » July 6th, 2011, 2:02 am

Human Head; the Prey and Prey 2 guys (among other things). Love it! Great people to work with :-)

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » July 6th, 2011, 11:39 am

Looks like it's getting good reviews.  Kudos!

Critical Reception link

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 8th, 2011, 5:19 pm

I'm psyched up about this one.  I'll try to pick up a copy next week.

Edward1

Postby Edward1 » July 9th, 2011, 12:52 am

Did you work on the previous Earth Defense Force game?    That game was so awesome, and ever bit worth the 20 bucks I spent on it.   I absolutely loved that game, and the chaos in it.   It showed rough signs, probably because of its low budget, but it was just simply fun, something that all the call of duty clones seem to miss.  The mainstream reviewers trashed the last game, probably because it didn't have enough cut scenes, high tech graphics, or whatever the hell they think a good game is. I'm sure they will trash this one, but I'm will definitely by trying this one, and probably buying it.   Thanks for the info!

Oh yeah,  could you tell what awesome new stuff we can expect in this game?

Verm1

Postby Verm1 » July 9th, 2011, 2:36 am

I've got it on pre-order (it doesn't come out here in Europe for a couple more weeks) and am looking forward to it.

Though from the trailers, I'm not a big fan of that "hip chatter" from the player and EDF soldiers over the cheesy comments of the EDF soldiers in 2017.

I also wonder how long it's going to be. I'm guessing that each of the 15 missions in IA are going to take as long as several missions combined, from the previous games as 15 is quite a drop in number from the previous games.

feilong801

Postby feilong801 » July 9th, 2011, 2:50 am

EDF 2017 was made in Japan by Sandlot, so as totally rad as it would have been to have worked for Sandlot in Japan, nope, I had nothing to do with that one! The game's publisher and IP owner is D3, and D3 owns Vicious Cycle, the company that did EDF Insect Armageddon (I worked for Vicious Cycle).

2017 was most definitely awesome and we played the heck out of that game to understand what made it tick. Fortunately most folks seem to think that we were able to successfully capture was made the Sandlot games cool while adding our own wrinkle.

Awesome new stuff:

Classes: You get your standard 2017 style trooper (though he has his own very useful abilities too!), we also give you a flight armor, a battle armor (like a heavy or tank class basically) and a tactical armor. The flight armor is obvious, the battle armor has a shield and some cool defensive powers, and the tactical guy can deploy turrets of various types. They all suit different styles of play, while all featuring crazy explosive weapons.

All of these armor types level up in a very light RPG setup, where killing ants and completing levels gives you XP- that XP unlocks levels which gives you access to more and more weapons and more and more of the armor's powers. But there is also "loot drop" weapons like in 2017 as well.

Online coop- unlike 2017 which was local only, here we give you 3 player coop for the campaign mode, and a 6 player online survival mode. Worry not, VGC, as it still has split screen play for local multiplayer, and you can do survival mode this way as well. Online has been a blast so far though!

As far as enemies, I don't wanna spoil things but we have the usual 2017 stuff and some cool big things to shoot down. The levels will play out in a very similar fashion but we did give you things like waypoints and the like to kind of give a more focused flow. Don't worry though: these do not play anything like CoD levels
There is a couple of set piece things that some people will find hit or miss, like any set piece thing, but in general I think our special stuff helps break up play and helps move the game along.

Hope you check the game out! Looking forward to the VGC's review :-)

Return to “Modern Gaming”