Splatterhouse 2010

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
JWK1

Splatterhouse 2010

Postby JWK1 » December 23rd, 2011, 11:42 am

I was like many people here.  I had absolutely no interest in this game.  Considering the copious blood, the overkill action, the grotesque QTEs, the naked pictures(!) as collectibles, and the non-stop crass/tasteless language of the mask (which is the same guy who did the voice of Winnie the Pooh, of all characters!) it's hard to imagine a demographic that wouldn't be offended by the game on some level.  But I bought the game when it went down to around $10 for one reason alone; the unlockable originals.  Splatterhouse (arcade) and Splatterhouse 2 & 3 (Genesis/Mega Drive) are unlockable by playing the main 2010 game and beating the 2nd, 4th, and 8th levels respectively.  I couldn't handle the main game for more than 2 hours at a time.  Oftentimes, I couldn't stand it for more than 15 minutes.  I'd just get to a checkpoint and turn the game off in frustration.  When I had gotten to level 5, I questioned whether or not I could stand the game long enough to unlock Splatterhouse 3.  It was like a chore, but I finally did it last week.  It honestly feels like an accomplishment; like successfully unclogging a septic tank after trying in vain for 6 hours.  Now, I'm happy to say, I don't have to put this piece of crap into my PS3 unless I want some awesome, classic Splatterhouse.

Now, the point of this thread.  If you are like me and would rather not mess with the new game, but really want the original three games (which were ported perfectly, I might add), buy the game at BEST BUY.  New copies come with a code that unlocks the games immediately.  It's currently available for $20 in the store.  If you go with this option, you are welcome to thank me for saving you about 6 - 8 hours of your life.  Your family/wife/girlfriend will also be thankful that they didn't have to watch you play the game.

P.S.  This is not meant to offend those who enjoyed it, but it's the worst game I personally played in 2011.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Splatterhouse 2010

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 23rd, 2011, 12:29 pm

Good advice!  I find it somewhat ironic that the "bonus games" are not only the best reason to buy the disk, but they also make the main game seem all that much worse.

QF

Splatterhouse 2010

Postby QF » December 23rd, 2011, 1:26 pm

I was like many people here.  I had a lot of interest in this game.  Considering the copious blood, the overkill action, the grotesque QTEs, the naked pictures(yay) as collectibles, and the non-stop crass language of the mask (which is the same guy who did the voice of Winnie the Pooh, of all characters!) it's hard to imagine a demographic that would be offended by the game on some level.

fixed

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Splatterhouse 2010

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 23rd, 2011, 2:25 pm

Does the code work for older versions of the game too?  Can you pass it along?

Silver_Fox1

Splatterhouse 2010

Postby Silver_Fox1 » December 23rd, 2011, 7:54 pm

That almost sounds as torturous as my quest to unlock all of the NES Ninja Gaidens on the Xbox Ninja Gaiden. All of that frustration just to frustrate myself more, with the old games? I also unlocked the arcade version on Ninja Gaiden Black. I don't think I've ever been as pissed with a game before.

Ozzybear1

Splatterhouse 2010

Postby Ozzybear1 » December 23rd, 2011, 11:21 pm

I love that the original 3 were with this game, but sorry guys, i thought the new game was very well done! To a hack n slash fan, this game is nothing but total bloody goodness!!

Oltobaz1

Splatterhouse 2010

Postby Oltobaz1 » December 23rd, 2011, 11:57 pm

You either love or hate this game, but there's no middle
ground. I found it great, for the very reasons others may
hate it.

Astrosmasher1

Splatterhouse 2010

Postby Astrosmasher1 » December 24th, 2011, 4:05 am

Well just to say I think it is quite good so I am in the middle...

JWK1

Splatterhouse 2010

Postby JWK1 » December 24th, 2011, 10:31 am

@QF -- lol, thanks for "fixing" my original statement.  I feel it's somehow a little less accurate now

@Ozzybear/Oltobaz -- I think that's what was so frustrating to me.  I AM a hack and slash fan.  I'd probably say God of War lands at #6 or so on my favorite video game series ever.  I just don't think the combat is very well done.  Some of it is satisfying, some of it is lacking.  The platforming in the game is HORRIBLE.  Much of the control scheme left a lot to be desired, too.  Honestly, there's enough there to see potential, but I'd put it in the "D/D-" grade territory (I think that's what Dave gave it, too).  I honestly meant what I said, I mean no offense to people who enjoyed the game, I just didn't.  Speaking of Dave, I think we must have the same taste in hack and slash games.  He disliked Splatterhouse and Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, loved all the God of War games and Heavenly Sword, and put Bayonetta and the Devil May Cry series in the B to A- range.  Sounds just like me.

JustLikeHeaven1

Splatterhouse 2010

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » December 24th, 2011, 11:15 am

Ugh...I couldn't even trudge through the game to unlock the older Splatterhouse titles.  Since I own a 2 of the 3 originals I just couldn't force myself to do it.  I would have felt like Andy Dufresne in Shawshank Redemption crawling through a mile of dookie to get to freedom...It's good to know that there is a "get out of jail free" card for those looking to buy the game now.

I'm not a prude. I love offensive language...boobs are wonderful and the more violent the game is the better.  This game should have been like a trashy Roger Corman film.  That being said this game got everything wrong in terms of gameplay.  The combat was boring and repetitive, the finishing moves got stale due to a lack of variety and the stage design was completely uninspired.  I wanted to love this game, but it didn't take anything from the old games except the terror mask and the character's names.  Instead they added tons of ear drum shattering butt rock and then gave the game a H.P. Lovecraft inspired story.  I just don't think they had any clue what fans of the old game were looking for.  

There are so many similar games that do what Splatterhouse attempts to do and they do it MUCH better.  God of War III practically runs a clinic on how to make a fun, cinematic hack n slash game.  I think Splatterhouse is the most disappointing game I've played this generation.  

Return to “Modern Gaming”