Killzone 3 glitchy as hell

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 4th, 2012, 10:24 pm

I've been playing (or trying to play) Killzone 3 on my PS3. I enjoy space marine first-person shooters, but I'm annoyed at all the glitches.  I could make a list - some serious and some just annoying, but there are many pertaining to video, audio, and control.  I actually thought my PS3 was broken because one cut scene was totally butchered, and then I found other people complaining about it on-line.

It makes me appreciate how polished games like Halo, Call of Duty, and Gears of War are.

I should probably add that my PS3 is NOT on-line, so I wouldn't be picking up any of the patches (I'm sure there are many).

Luke

Postby Luke » March 5th, 2012, 3:09 am

That's what patches are for, Sir.

There's no such thing as a perfect game with no glitches. Both Killzone 1 & 2 had a lot of glitches. They're far from A+ games. But they're not exactly unplayable because of them.

JWK1

Postby JWK1 » March 5th, 2012, 5:43 pm

Most of us who do own PS3's have them connected and therefore got patches before we played Killzone 3 for the first time.  As one who falls into that camp, I have NO idea what you're talking about.  I played KZ3 start to finish less than a month ago and I can't recall a single glitch (certainly not a memorable one).  Also, I remember thinking about how buttery-smooth I thought the gameplay was.  It may be time to finally connect your PS3 to the internet, Critic!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 5th, 2012, 5:54 pm

Oh so now it's my fault that Sony is putting out glitchy, bug-ridden games?

I've had my PS3 hooked up to the Internet before - I have no patience for that.  The updates are murder - far worse than Xbox Live.

Actually this is the first PS3 title I've had a problem with.  All the other games have run very well without the need for patches.  I'm not going to subject myself to on-line headaches for this one game.

Besides, I think a game should be reviewed how it is out-of-the-box, not after the developers took another year to plug up all the holes.  After all, not everybody has their systems on the Internet.

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » March 5th, 2012, 9:51 pm

Over 20% of PS3's are offline from the last stats I saw, so there's certainly a place for such reviews.

Luke

Postby Luke » March 6th, 2012, 2:51 am

Dave does make some good points. The PS3 firmware updates and game downloads do tend to take a lot longer than the 360 updates. I particularly hate the "installing" screen after the "downloading" screen. Especially since you cannot get out of the install screen, at least not from what I could tell?

I will say that the majority of game patches do tend to install pretty fast though - like a minute or two.

JWK1

Postby JWK1 » March 6th, 2012, 9:08 am

[QUOTE]Originally Posted by The Video Game Critic
Oh so now it's my fault that Sony is putting out glitchy, bug-ridden games?[/QUOTE]

Not at all.  You're approaching the game as a reviewer and as such you want the product as it was sold.  I'm not approaching it that way.  I just want to play the game in its best form, which requires the annoying updates, patches, etc.  I'm simply suggesting you use the available patches because the game's a lot more enjoyable.  Like I said, I wasn't even aware that the game had problems because my PS3 is always online.

Also, I don't appreciate developers releasing glitchy games so they can make the release date any more than you do.  Skyrim on the PS3 was a travesty until patch 1.4... which was released 3 months after the game came out.  Bethesda admitted they knew the game wasn't ready, but they REALLY wanted the 11.11.11 release date *rolls eyes*.

0-Storm

Postby 0-Storm » March 7th, 2012, 11:06 am

Programmers are too busy figuring out ways to sell dlc to bother with such a tedious task like testing. That's what the consumers are for. They are unpaid game testers.

Its not about using the internet as you see fit for your own enjoyment. Its about having to be online in order to get what you paid for.

So get online. Type in your one-time code. Get your console updated. Install the patches. Purchase the day-one dlc thats already available & stand by with your credit card ready to purchase all of the additional dlc.

micky1

Postby micky1 » March 7th, 2012, 1:48 pm

Its a bit silly to not update the game, its well worth it because its an awesome game and it will give you a chance to try the multi player which is miles better than Call of Copy and Paste will ever be. 

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » March 7th, 2012, 5:58 pm

He doesn't want to deal with downloads. Seems fair enough to me when the process is as annoying as it is on the PS3.

Especially since a decent percentage of PS3 gamers are offline as well. And someday when the servers are turned off, downloading the patch won't be an option. So there's a slight benefit right there since the review won't become obsolete in the future since he reviewed the product as it shipped on the disc and isn't including software patches in his assessment that will be inaccessible down the road.

As long as the review is up front about the conditions  (So offline gamers don't assume he's playing a patched version that is still terribly buggy and so online gamers realize their experience likely will be improved if they download patches that he ignored), I think it's a good idea since it's a different perspective that you usually don't see and it has some relevancy to some people.

Return to “Modern Gaming”