Tomcat Alley-Sega Cd

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
matmico399

Tomcat Alley-Sega Cd

Postby matmico399 » July 22nd, 2017, 6:01 pm

I always wonder why this game hasn't garnered more respect. Sure it's a Sega CD game with limited interaction and cheese fmv acting scenes. But I must say this game is a blast. I played this years ago in my mid 20's when I had a Sega CD. I just recently acquired this game again and it is as fun as I remember. The tension and graphic explosions really get Your blood pumping. I think Sega nailed it with this one. They learned how to incorporate fmv with exciting action and tension. Too bad most fmv games on the system didn't do it. Grade A-

Sut

Re: Tomcat Alley-Sega Cd

Postby Sut » July 23rd, 2017, 10:53 am

Agreed this is definitely one of the better FMV efforts even the cheesy storyline is mildly entertaining.
Believe this is one of few full screen ones as well.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » July 26th, 2017, 11:10 am

I was playing some Sega CD last night, so I figured I'd snag Tomcat Alley off my shelf and give it a try (I had never played it before). The cheesy FMV scenes are entertaining enough. They're painfully grainy, but I give them credit for being full-screen. As for the gameplay, not too bad, but nothing that would bring me back for another play. Took me forever just to get through the first 5 minutes of the game, as I died several times just trying to figure out how to beat the first three enemy jets in the game. I have a feeling I wouldn't get too far, even if I tried for awhile. Thanks for inspiring me to finally try it though.

Sut

Postby Sut » July 26th, 2017, 1:18 pm

Retro STrife wrote:I was playing some Sega CD last night, so I figured I'd snag Tomcat Alley off my shelf and give it a try (I had never played it before). The cheesy FMV scenes are entertaining enough. They're painfully grainy, but I give them credit for being full-screen. As for the gameplay, not too bad, but nothing that would bring me back for another play. Took me forever just to get through the first 5 minutes of the game, as I died several times just trying to figure out how to beat the first three enemy jets in the game. I have a feeling I wouldn't get too far, even if I tried for awhile. Thanks for inspiring me to finally try it though.

It's all about firing the correct missiles as well. Some are easier (and quicker) firing than others. Also when to fire the things that draw missiles away from you. Also there are patterns or order of enemies (routes) that make the game simpler.

matmico399 wrote:I always wonder why this game hasn't garnered more respect. Sure it's a Sega CD game with limited interaction and cheese fmv acting scenes. But I must say this game is a blast. I played this years ago in my mid 20's when I had a Sega CD. I just recently acquired this game again and it is as fun as I remember. The tension and graphic explosions really get Your blood pumping. I think Sega nailed it with this one. They learned how to incorporate fmv with exciting action and tension. Too bad most fmv games on the system didn't do it. Grade A-

Hey Matmico did you find the secret stage ?

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » August 1st, 2017, 7:52 am

This was a pack-in when I got my sega cd decades ago (yeesh that long already?) Its a fun game. I actually just got another sega cd a few days ago and plan on picking this title up once again.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » August 1st, 2017, 12:17 pm

I beat Tomcat Alley a few years back on all difficulty levels. I thought it was fun enough, as evidenced by the fact that I saw it through to the end (which I haven't done with e.g. Midnight Raiders). I remember one or two frustrating missions with little margin for error, but not as bad as some of the bottlenecks in Night Trap or Star Wars: Rebel Assault.

Return to “Now Playing”