Cuphead (Xbox One)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
eneuman96

Cuphead (Xbox One)

Postby eneuman96 » October 4th, 2017, 2:23 pm

As many of you are probably already aware, this is a run-and-gun game in the vein of Contra and Gunstar Heroes with a 1930's cartoon aesthetic, not to mention one that provides a stiff challenge.

I have yet to complete it yet, but what impresses me about Cuphead is that it perfectly nails the spirit of the cartoons it resembles while simultaneously also being a brilliantly designed action game. The good majority of your time will be spent fighting numerous deranged bosses, who each go through multiple phases. Intermittently, you will play through more traditional platforming stages with enemies that, although less memorable in design than the bosses, are still masterfully animated. These particular stages have coins akin to Super Mario World's Dragon Coins that can be used to buy several different powerups, and having a good set of weapons is key to defeating bosses efficiently.

Although I've died a great many times while playing Cuphead, I can't find anything genuinely wrong with it so far. If any game deserves to be described as an interactive cartoon, it's this one. Just don't expect it to go easy on you.

Voor

Re: Cuphead (Xbox One)

Postby Voor » October 6th, 2017, 6:45 pm

Surprised no replies. This game is all the rage everywhere else.

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » October 6th, 2017, 8:32 pm

Have it. Hate it. I hate to be "that guy" but I can't STAND this game. Sure, the art style is wonderful. But that is IT. That's ALL it has going for it is nice art. Otherwise, it's just an overly cheap (Not hard. Just cheap. Mega Man style trial and error bullcrap.) shooter that can't hold a candle to other games in the genre. Sure the controls are smooth, but who cares when the game is bland and BS? For the same price you could literally buy Metal Slug X and 3 on Steam. 2 of the best shooters ever vs. an art style gimmick? No contest.

eneuman96

Postby eneuman96 » October 7th, 2017, 2:16 am

Robotrek wrote:Have it. Hate it. I hate to be "that guy" but I can't STAND this game. Sure, the art style is wonderful. But that is IT. That's ALL it has going for it is nice art. Otherwise, it's just an overly cheap (Not hard. Just cheap. Mega Man style trial and error bullcrap.) shooter that can't hold a candle to other games in the genre. Sure the controls are smooth, but who cares when the game is bland and BS? For the same price you could literally buy Metal Slug X and 3 on Steam. 2 of the best shooters ever vs. an art style gimmick? No contest.

I respectfully completely disagree. I love Metal Slug, but I think Cuphead's (and by extension Mega Man's) difficulty is considerably fairer, not to mention the bosses would still be extremely creative even if the art style were different. There are plenty of games with "artificial difficulty" (a prime example being Ghosts n' Goblins) but so far, I've never felt like anything in Cuphead was genuinely unfair, and every challenge it's thrown my way feels genuinely satisfying to overcome. And doesn't every difficult game boil down to trial and error?

Voor

Postby Voor » October 7th, 2017, 7:07 am

I wouldn't compare it to mega man. I think it's closer to a shump/bullet hell game. And from that perspective, it's a good one.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » October 7th, 2017, 8:30 am

I bought it last night.

Man, I was having a heck of time getting through the first level. After finally completing it I noticed on the second level an option to make it a bit easier.

I'm loving it now that I can experience it without getting completely frustrated due to me sucking. And the art style is amazing. Good stuff.

Going to edit my post a bit. I'm terrible at the run and gun levels. They are freaking hard. I can do the normal boss battles or flight ones without too much trouble (mostly).

Anyone have tips on the run and gun levels?

Return to “Now Playing”