Sonic Mania Plus (Switch)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Sonic Mania Plus (Switch)

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 21st, 2018, 4:35 pm

Got this in the mail today and was giddy with excitement! Sonic Mania Plus is the old-school 2D Sonic game I've wanted all along, so of course I love it. The look and feel is great, and there are a lot of new elements to spice things up. You can dash through a zone or take your time to explore. The pixelated graphics are charming and the upbeat music is consistent with the originals.

The stages are mainly "remasters" of old zones, and I'm not sure how I feel about that. The zones are huge, but maybe a little too big. The "get blue spheres" bonus stage is back, and I have no idea why. They suck! Why not bring back the half-pipe run instead.

Anyway, just digging in so more to come.

newmodelarmy

Re: Sonic Mania Plus (Switch)

Postby newmodelarmy » July 21st, 2018, 8:52 pm

This game is on my wish list for sure. Looking forward to your review!

D-Pad

Postby D-Pad » July 21st, 2018, 10:55 pm

The "get blue spheres" bonus stage is back, and I have no idea why. They suck! Why not bring back the half-pipe run instead.

I have the exact opposite opinion, as I found the half-pipe in Sonic 2 way too difficult.

Rev

Postby Rev » July 22nd, 2018, 12:22 am

Honestly, I hate the half pipe... Well at least the Sonic 2 version. The one in Sonic 3D Blast (saturn version) and sonic Heroes is actually pretty good. I think the Sonic 3 & K had the best special stages out of the original series.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to your review. I also plan on picking this up after my next payday.

Luigi & Peach

Postby Luigi & Peach » July 22nd, 2018, 9:45 am

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who hated that halfpipe, especially the last couple. I'd always blame it on Tails whether it was his fault or not (occasionally it was).

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 22nd, 2018, 11:22 am

I'm surprised people didn't like the half-pipe. It has a certain rollercoaster feel that I find exciting.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » July 22nd, 2018, 11:33 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:I'm surprised people didn't like the half-pipe. It has a certain rollercoaster feel that I find exciting.

I agree the half-pipe is classic, also critic, the blue spheres from Sonic 3 in Mania are actually optional to get unlockable goodies, to get the more important Chaos Emeralds you need to get to this bonus levels via the giant rings and are much better to play.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3ptxTc ... 3ptxTcH1L0

Rev

Postby Rev » July 22nd, 2018, 5:10 pm

I think the main things that make people dislike the halfpipe are for two reasons: 1.) If you don't turn Tails off the halfpipes later stages are nearly impossible, 2.) Some of the later ones are very trial and error and have a lot of blind spots.

I do think they are probably the best demo of the Genesis's special effects and are a classic, just not my cup of tea.

Luigi & Peach

Postby Luigi & Peach » July 22nd, 2018, 6:37 pm

Rev wrote:I think the main things that make people dislike the halfpipe are for two reasons: 1.) If you don't turn Tails off the halfpipes later stages are nearly impossible, 2.) Some of the later ones are very trial and error and have a lot of blind spots.

I do think they are probably the best demo of the Genesis's special effects and are a classic, just not my cup of tea.

It's been awhile since I played, but I never realized you could turn Tails off. That would have been good to know.

I definitely agree that the last couple halfpipes become extended exercises in pattern memorization.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » July 26th, 2018, 1:45 pm

1. Looking forward to playing this game. While I could buy it on PS4, I think I'll wait til I get a Switch. Seems like a better fit on that system.

2. Count me as another half-pipe hater. Between Sonic 1 and 2, I prefer the Sonic 1 bonus stages by far- I always loved bouncing around like a pinball trying to collect orbs, and the music is great. In comparison, the half pipe always felt so plain and boring to me.

Return to “Now Playing”