Ridge Racer Unbounded/Need For Speed: The Run

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 21st, 2012, 10:09 pm

I'm reviewing both of these Xbox 360 racers at the same time.  

I can tell you which one to get right now: Need For Speed: The Run.  The game is thrilling and I love the idea of racing across the country.

Ridge Racer seems to be having an identity crisis.  I can pick out so many features lifted from other racers, namely Burnout Paradise.  Not so hot.

Edward1

Postby Edward1 » August 27th, 2012, 5:47 pm

Need for speed the run is awesome and very underrated.   I bought it on sale for 5 bucks at best buy a month ago.  It was well worth it.  I like how the game gets right to the action.   There is no filler.   In the story mode, you don't have to play each level 5 or 6 times with it mirrored, different car classes, in elimination mode, or any other gimmicks game developers can think of to make the game painfully long.   I perfer a shorter game like the Run that gets right to the point.   I'm sure if they added that filler, it would have gotten better reviews.  However, it is a better game because of its lack of filler.   And the levels are very fun, and races feel very fast.  I even recognized some of the roads I've driven on.  Despite getting slammed by critics, its one of my favorite 360 racing games.

Steve1

Postby Steve1 » August 30th, 2012, 10:00 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. I initially did not buy this because of all the less thank glowing reviews.....I should really learn by now to listen to paid reviewers. This is now my favorite Need For Speed. I loved the campaign a lot and even the multiplayer is enjoyable.

As a side note, I used to live on Wacker Drive in Chicago (one of the courses), I almost daily take the Altamont Pass/58 interstate on my way home from work (also in campaign), and spend 50% of my time in Cleveland (also in campaign). Considering my love of national parks - a few of which are included here - this is just a great game to recognize real courses/roads. I even spent last weekend on the Embarcadero in San Francisco (yet again in the campaign). Again, good suggestion - thanks.

GaemzDood1

Postby GaemzDood1 » July 28th, 2013, 10:50 pm

I've been thinking about getting this. However, I think the mixed reviews were due to the quick time events that were presented in the story mode. I think I'll pick it up after reading your review.

Also, may you please review the Wii *and* 3DS versions? They're different versions (rated E10+, but should be T IMO due to a scene that depicts blood) versions that use comic book style cutscenes. The 3DS version, despite being the same as the Wii version, actually looks worthwhile to me because of the visuals and multiplayer.

vegas83

Postby vegas83 » July 29th, 2013, 7:08 pm

I really didnt care much for The Run, the control scheme was the worst of all the Need for Speeds. It seemed very loose and to much give in the cars handling. I am currently playing Most Wanted and am really enjoying it.

Vegas833

Return to “Now Playing”