Madden 13 (Xbox 360)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Madden 13 (Xbox 360)

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 5th, 2012, 5:13 pm

I've been playing Madden 13 and I'm unimpressed.  There are a few improved features, like better passing and better commentators, but it still comes up short in many areas.  

And there's no season/franchise/dynasty mode anymore!  I tried to play a season using the "career coach" mode but that really sucks.

Anybody else want to share their thoughts about this game?

Carl1

Madden 13 (Xbox 360)

Postby Carl1 » September 17th, 2012, 7:01 pm

Dave---

Honestly, I am more impressed with Madden 13 then any other Madden of this generation. That being said, the bar was set quite low so to surpass previous efforts wasn't exactly a tough task.

My biggest gripe with the game is the same as you. There is no GM mode or Owner Mode. I DO give EA credit for at least trying something new. Granted, in my mind it's a failure, but at least it's an attempt at innovation and that's at least saying something. I want to be able to have just a PS2 style owner mode..I don't have the hours to devote to gaming anymore that I did as a teenager or when I was in college so for me, having to do "practice" tasks or risk having my team be bad every year wasn't my idea of fun.

The announcing team is however quite good, despite them being unable to say "Manning to Victor Cruz for a 15 yard gain over the middle". There's far to many references to "the player" and "he" catching the ball. Still, it's an improvement. As for the actual gameplay, I find this madden to be the best in years. The game itself plays like a realistic game of football...which is really all most fans I think want. Yes there are lots of issues, but by and large, I'm quite impressed with the effort, at least when you compare it with the past.

I think if Madden was only being compared to the other Madden games of the 360/ps3 generation, it is an A game. That being said, it isn't, so I agree mostly with your review, but might give it a C+ if only because EA deserves some credit for trying something new, and the game itself is quite good.

Just like everybody knows who has a business or who works in the business world, appearances and details are everything. Most competent companies can get the BIG things right, but it's the details that set the great companies apart from the good ones. This game in itself is good and a solid game of football. But the details you mentioned, totally destroy the experience and lead it down the path to mediocrity. 

That's just my take...I know it was quite a long one but I had a good amount to say.

mesk1

Madden 13 (Xbox 360)

Postby mesk1 » September 18th, 2012, 12:27 pm

This game is turr-ible,just turr-ible   like the Critic said,EA must have showered game reviewers in cash to give this POS the ratings it has been receiving.I have said it once and ill say it again video game football will not get any better until they get some competition,until then its Tecmo bowl with updated rosters for me

Herschie1

Madden 13 (Xbox 360)

Postby Herschie1 » October 6th, 2012, 2:17 am

They say that the Vita and Wii U don't have full features because of lack of time. That is complete bull. They said the same thing about the first 360 Madden, and I'm not buying EA's excuses anymore. I've had fun with Madden during this past generation, this inculdes Madden 13. But no WAY can I say that any of them have been up to par. 

Don't believe me? Try taking Madden 2005 and making a straight port to this generation. You get:
1) Progressive lighting (In Madden 12, gone in 13 for some reason)
2) Better AI
3) Better broadcasting (They even programmed it correctly!)
4) Less glitches
5) Classic teams (Just numbers (which were wrong), but the ability to edit the classic rosters)
6) Mini camp games which were fun when you only wanted to play for a few more minutes (You didn't always want to turn off Madden immediately after a game!)
7) A challenging kicking system
8) You actually know which way the wind is blowing....

What 13 has that 05 didn't:
1) Gameflow (Whoopie!)
2) A broken Connected Career Mode
3) Hall of Fame coaches (That you can see during those brief cutaways)
4) Terrible lighting (Going against the sunlight, you can't tell which team is which...leading to some stupid picks)
5) Jim Nantz and Phil Simms seen chit chatting for three seconds before the coin flip
6) A short time limit to decide which goal to defend while you fail miserably trying to figure out which way the wind is blowing (The arrow is inaccurate)
7) Updates that fix a little of what's broke

I could go on and on. EA, your Madden franchise has NOT been acceptable this generation. You've taken out quality features that really make an enjoyable game and replace them with crap that nobody cares about or that you try and shove down our throats (Gameflow sucks, and why must I pause my Connected Career game to turn it off every single time? And why can't I turn it off online leading to me accidentally calling some absurd play?). 

What am I waiting for? I'm firing up Madden 05!

Chaser1

Madden 13 (Xbox 360)

Postby Chaser1 » October 6th, 2012, 12:28 pm

You forgot Madden 13's best feature, zombie physics!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gPx1nnc5yU

Weekend_Warrior1

Madden 13 (Xbox 360)

Postby Weekend_Warrior1 » October 6th, 2012, 5:05 pm

No season mode? That's crazy! They really are pushing online aren't they...

Blueguy1

Madden 13 (Xbox 360)

Postby Blueguy1 » October 6th, 2012, 6:39 pm

[QUOTE=mesk]This game is turr-ible,just turr-ible  [/QUOTE]

Thank you, Sir Charles.

Herschie1

Madden 13 (Xbox 360)

Postby Herschie1 » October 31st, 2012, 12:38 am

Madden 13 is horrible. I just played it after not playing it for awhile. Just no fun to play. 

Now they're starting with the same old excuses with the Vita and Wii U that they had with Madden 06 on the 360; not enough development time. The Vita is one thing, it's a handheld, so I don't expect it to be on par with the console. But the Wii U is a better system, and we're getting less on it. Just like we got less on the 360 than we did on the PS2. And still do.

Why isn't this the case with NBA 2K13? They're making the game better on the Wii U. Like it should be. Better system capabilities should mean better games. Period. I don't want to hear EA's excuses anymore. 

Return to “Now Playing”