Tecmo Football Throwback (360)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 29th, 2012, 5:12 pm

I downloaded the trial version of Tecmo Throwback from Xbox Live since I'm a big fan of the original game (who isn't?).  It's kind of cool because you can toggle between the old school pixelated version (my preference) to a new high-rez look.

My friends were complaining about the controls, especially when trying to change players.  It made me reluctant to buy the full version.  Anybody else have experience with this game??

PSX1

Postby PSX1 » January 11th, 2013, 2:28 am

Hey Critic... a bit late, but I just saw this topic.  Tecmo Super Bowl on the NES is in my Top 5 all-time favorite games, so Tecmo Throwback was a must-have for me when it came out.  I have to say I was pretty disappointed with the game (I was even more disappointed in Tecmo Bowl: Kickoff for the DS... why is it that 20 years later, these developers still can't even get close to replicating the original??)

I don't remember much about the game anymore, but here's a few things I do recall... I don't remember much about the controls, but I think I recall them being okay but not as tight as in the original.  Another problem-- a problem that also plagues even the NES original-- is that the defenses play awful/non-existent pass coverage and there is no way to adjust the difficulty, so beating the CPU is way too easy.  So, obviously that makes the 2-player modes important, but unfortunately by far the worst part of the game is the completely unplayable online matches (which is what I looked forward to most).  Could you still find online opponents today?  I don't know.  But if you did, I guarantee you that regardless of skill, the host player would always win.  That's because the host's game runs smoothly, but even if you have a great connection there is always lag for the other player, which makes it an unfair and, thus, unplayable game online.  The developers choose to never fix this, so this once promising and highly anticipated game very rapidly dropped out of relevancy after its release.  After all, the head-to-head online matches had been the key selling point to old-school TSB fans.

But... I do like the 2D/3D toggle and the game can be good for short-term fun.  I had a blast playing through 2 seasons in the single-player season mode-- obviously the CPU is no challenge, but it was fun to rack up massive stats just like in the old game.  For a few months I was even Top 5 worldwide in the rank for highest total single-season rushing yards, until the glitchers took over the rankings. If you love TSB enough, then I think it's worth the download as long as you go into it knowing that it won't be as good as the original.

Return to “Now Playing”