Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon (3DS)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 24th, 2013, 10:55 pm

Finally got around to playing Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon.  This little game is a heck of a lot of fun.  I think it benefits from the 3D.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » September 25th, 2013, 2:13 am

Ironic that you are starting this game because I just started it yesterday as well. I like it a lot although the mission objectives is kind of a weird touch. The original game was an exploration of the entire mansion, where this one you make progress through missions. Still, I'm having a blast with this one as well.

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » September 25th, 2013, 6:26 am

Really enjoyed this game, it gets better as you go on. The art style is not 'A+', but it is pretty good.

NewModelArmy1

Postby NewModelArmy1 » September 25th, 2013, 7:14 am

[QUOTE=videogamecritic]Finally got around to playing Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon.  This little game is a heck of a lot of fun.  I think it benefits from the 3D.[/QUOTE]

I enjoyed this game but found it to be a bit long and repetitive. I doubt you will finish this one. I got to the final boss and gave up after 50 attempts. Good but not great game, IMHO.

Captain_Crunch1

Postby Captain_Crunch1 » September 25th, 2013, 8:02 am

Yes, I liked Luig's Mansion 2 too. However, I still think the game should have more saving points - now it's hard to put away or it makes you replay a whole level...

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » September 25th, 2013, 1:37 pm

[QUOTE=Captain_Crunch]Yes, I liked Luig's Mansion 2 too. However, I still think the game should have more saving points - now it's hard to put away or it makes you replay a whole level...[/QUOTE]

I thought of this last night as well as I was completing a stage. Finishing an entire stage (at least that is how the game has been so far) is really annoying for a handheld game. It's not a big deal for console gaming but for a handheld game, where you want the game to have a pick up and play vibe, the whole finishing an entire stage in one sitting doesn't always fit the amount of time I have available to play the game. I know you can just close the 3DS and put it in sleep mode, but sometimes I won't get time to play the game again for a couple days later.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 25th, 2013, 4:49 pm

I'm also re-reviewing the original Luigi's Mansion, and I can't get over how counter-intuitive the controls are!  The 3DS game is MUCH easier to control.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » September 26th, 2013, 2:06 am

Yeah, the new games controls are much, much better. I was having difficultly between running and shining that light (which stops your run pretty much to a hault) but after about an hour that annoyance disappeared. I do like the use of the flashlight in this one. It makes catching the ghosts much easier.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 10th, 2013, 9:10 pm

Controls are better in some ways, worse in others.

What annoys me is how I sit down to play a quick mission before bed, and it takes an hour to get through!  (there's no saving until you finish a mission).

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » October 10th, 2013, 9:29 pm

Yeah, I think that is my biggest gripe for the game. Subsequent run throughs are very quick but I like to take my time collecting everything the first run through but that can often take close to an hour per mission, especially if you are hunting for the Boo's and looking for the gems. I've often had to quit and restart later due to my battery being low, hours before I could come home and charge my 3DS. I don't understand why there is no quick save feature for this game. I'm on the third mansion and it's aggravating to go back after spending so much time on a mission.

Return to “Now Playing”